GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Leaf mould advice for a newbie (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/89067-leaf-mould-advice-newbie.html)

fruitbat 22-01-2005 01:51 PM

Leaf mould advice for a newbie

Hi All

My name is Kev and I've been lurking on urg for a couple of weeks or so.
Thought it was about time I plucked up the courage to make a post.

A bit about me... I moved into a house in South Hertfordshire, with a
garden, a little over a year ago and the main aim at the time was to get the
lawn sorted for this summer for a new family addition (a son, not a dog).
That well on it's way and looking quite good, it's time to move my efforts
to the borders and the veggies.

I had a scan through the faq's and found a bit of info about leaf mould, but
I have afew more questions that I'd like a little help with....

1. I collected and shredded all the leaves of our cherry tree last autumm,
watered and drained them and stored them in bin bags in the shed.... good or
bad?

2. Is it better to turn them to aerate (at the mo they are stacked and quite
compacted)?

3. I intend to use them as mulch for the borders, is there any better use
for them? Is it too soon for them to be used, and when should I apply?

Thanks in advance

Kev Hopley