Old 03-12-2002, 07:33 AM
Brad Harris

Default Tomotoes

Can tomotoes be grown in cold climates in a glass house.
Cold being no lower than 2 degrees C. If I build a glass house or an area
enclosed with glass, will they grow all year??

Old 03-12-2002, 09:55 AM
andyp

I'd be interested to hear what others say but I do not think you will get
enough light nor warmth in the winter months to get any nice fruit.

--

"Wisest are they that know they do not know." Socrates
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above

Old 03-12-2002, 10:25 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Brad Harris
writes

Can tomotoes be grown in cold climates in a glass house.

Yes, but.....

Cold being no lower than 2 degrees C.

Inside or outside the GH?

If I build a glass house or an area
enclosed with glass, will they grow all year??

Only if you can provide lots of extra heating and light. Toms' don't
like it at that low a temp and they need decent light levels to grow,
let alone produce ripe fruit.

This of course applies to the UK - your domain name indicates you might
be gardening in Australia
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 03-12-2002, 04:01 PM
Michael Berridge

Brad Harris wrote in message
. ..

Can tomotoes be grown in cold climates in a glass house.
Cold being no lower than 2 degrees C. If I build a glass house or an

area
enclosed with glass, will they grow all year??

Very much doubt it AFAIK tomato plants die off at temperatures that are
still above freezing, certainly at 2 degrees they will die.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 03-12-2002, 04:33 PM
Martin Brown

Brad Harris wrote:

Can tomotoes be grown in cold climates in a glass house.
Cold being no lower than 2 degrees C. If I build a glass house or an area
enclosed with glass, will they grow all year??

Not at 2C they even die off fairly quickly in my heated greenhouse at 5C
nominal minimum. That is assuming UK style cold damp foggy winters with a
feeble sun barely making it above the horizon.

I have seen them grown as a perennial once. I think they held a minimum of
15C to do it. Not economic!!

I did notice a curiosity this year in the unheated greenhouse. The last bits
of both datura and tomato plant to survive were those that had grown out
through a vent and were partially exposed to real air frosts. It must toughen
them up a bit to have parts out in the big wide world.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 03-12-2002, 07:02 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Brad Harris
writes

Can tomotoes be grown in cold climates in a glass house.
Cold being no lower than 2 degrees C. If I build a glass house or an area
enclosed with glass, will they grow all year??

No. Tomatoes are grown all the year round in UK by commercial growers,
but that is done with added heat and light. In an unheated greenhouse
tomatoes can crop from June to October or even November, but they need
to be started in a propagator in early spring, then grown on in pots
until they are ready to be either planted out or housed under glass.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 03-12-2002, 08:13 PM
Andy Spragg

"Brad Harris" pushed briefly to the
front of the queue on Tue, 3 Dec 2002 18:33:38 +1100, and nailed this
to the shed door:

^ Can tomotoes be grown in cold climates in a glass house.
^ Cold being no lower than 2 degrees C. If I build a glass house or an area
^ enclosed with glass, will they grow all year??

Dunno. You could try exposing yourself to them twice a day, though ;-)

Andy

--
sparge at globalnet point co point uk

Look after the sins of write-commission,
and the sins of read-omission will take care of themselves.

Tomotoes farida United Kingdom 1 14-04-2010 09:26 PM
when to pick two out of eight tomotoes JWH United Kingdom 6 23-08-2006 08:51 AM
planting tomotoes in hanging baskets Gardening_Convert United Kingdom 4 16-03-2006 05:11 PM