Old 03-12-2002, 01:21 PM
Peter

Default What is this tree/shrub?

I have a tree/shrub - now about 10ft tall, thickest of sveral stems now
about 1.5 inches diameter. It has insignificant tiny greeny white flowers in
summer but in autumn they turn into pink blobs that open into 4 segements
with an orangy bit in the middle. It has lovely red autumn leaves. A friend
wants one but I can't tell her what to get as I lost the label.

Thanks

Peter

Old 03-12-2002, 02:45 PM
Philippe Gautier

Peter wrote:
I have a tree/shrub - now about 10ft tall, thickest of sveral stems now
about 1.5 inches diameter. It has insignificant tiny greeny white flowers in
summer but in autumn they turn into pink blobs that open into 4 segements
with an orangy bit in the middle. It has lovely red autumn leaves. A friend
wants one but I can't tell her what to get as I lost the label.

Thanks

Peter

Hi,

I think it's Euonymus europeus (I don't know the common english name,
just the french!)

Philippe

Old 03-12-2002, 02:47 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Peter" contains these words:

I have a tree/shrub - now about 10ft tall, thickest of sveral stems now
about 1.5 inches diameter. It has insignificant tiny greeny white flowers in
summer but in autumn they turn into pink blobs that open into 4 segements
with an orangy bit in the middle. It has lovely red autumn leaves. A friend
wants one but I can't tell her what to get as I lost the label.

It sounds like a spindle bush, euonymus Red Cascade is a good form. If
you go to www.google, click on "images" and type in the name, you'll get
some pics to check if it's the same thing.

The good news is, spindle makes suckers from the root.Have a look and
see if yours has done it yet; if so, now's a good time to dig it up and
transplant it.

Janet.

Old 03-12-2002, 02:59 PM
Philippe Gautier

Philippe Gautier wrote:
Peter wrote:

I have a tree/shrub - now about 10ft tall, thickest of sveral stems now
about 1.5 inches diameter. It has insignificant tiny greeny white
flowers in
summer but in autumn they turn into pink blobs that open into 4 segements
with an orangy bit in the middle. It has lovely red autumn leaves. A
friend
wants one but I can't tell her what to get as I lost the label.

Thanks

Peter

Hi,

I think it's Euonymus europeus (I don't know the common english name,
just the french!)

It's Spindle Tree, see

http://www.ccc.govt.nz/Environment/W..._europaeus.asp

Old 03-12-2002, 03:03 PM
Victoria Clare

"Peter" wrote in
:

I have a tree/shrub - now about 10ft tall, thickest of sveral stems
now about 1.5 inches diameter. It has insignificant tiny greeny white
flowers in summer but in autumn they turn into pink blobs that open
into 4 segements with an orangy bit in the middle. It has lovely red
autumn leaves. A friend wants one but I can't tell her what to get as
I lost the label.

? Euonymus europaeus, the common spindle tree?

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...tsheets/trees-
new/euonymus_europaeus.html has a pic and more info.

I think there are several varieties, some with better red autumn leaves
than others, but that should be enough to get you started.

I always think of it as the Christmas decoration tree because those berries
are such mad colours: very 'designerish'!

Victoria Clare

Old 05-12-2002, 04:45 PM
Vera Gade

In article , "Peter"
wrote:

I have a tree/shrub - now about 10ft tall, thickest of sveral stems now
about 1.5 inches diameter. It has insignificant tiny greeny white flowers in
summer but in autumn they turn into pink blobs that open into 4 segements
with an orangy bit in the middle. It has lovely red autumn leaves. A friend
wants one but I can't tell her what to get as I lost the label.

Thanks

Peter

Hi -can it be an euonymus? Cheers Vera

--
VERA GADE NORRKOPING
VERA @GADE.SE

Tree/shrub ID needed Bill Tschumy Texas 1 15-04-2003 05:44 PM
lemon tree/shrub James Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
lemon tree/shrub James Texas 0 11-03-2003 10:51 PM
Can anyone identify this shrub/tree? Cypress-like leaves, yellow daisy flowers. Cynthia Snowden United Kingdom 2 05-03-2003 03:11 PM
Tree/shrub to fill gap? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 6 04-11-2002 02:14 AM