Old 09-12-2002, 08:20 PM
tony

Default can i transplant?

my sister in-law is moving house and has an abundance of
shrubs,conifers(small) and perennials. would it be o.k to transplant them
now before the frosts come or could i pot them up for the spring? it really
would be a(expensive)shame to leave them as i am a novice(very eager) with a
new garden that would benefit from these plants. thank you for any help.
tony terson

Old 09-12-2002, 08:54 PM
Victoria Clare

"tony" wrote in
:

my sister in-law is moving house and has an abundance of
shrubs,conifers(small) and perennials. would it be o.k to transplant
them now before the frosts come or could i pot them up for the spring?
it really would be a(expensive)shame to leave them as i am a
novice(very eager) with a new garden that would benefit from these
plants. thank you for any help. tony terson

If she has already sold the house, unless she specified that she would be
removing plants, the ones that are in the ground belongs to the new owners:
you can't remove it without their agreement. Only plants in pots can be
removed.

Having said that, most shrubs and perennials, if not too mature, should
transplant OK at this time of year. But don't leave the new owners with
big holes in their new borders!

Victoria
Old 09-12-2002, 08:59 PM
david

"the ones that are in the ground belongs to the new owners:
you can't remove it without their agreement"

Alternatively if the herbaceous plants are well established, you could take
part of each clump, leaving the new owner the larger part of each clump

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 09-12-2002, 10:00 PM
Zizz

"david" wrote in message
"the ones that are in the ground belongs to the new owners:
you can't remove it without their agreement"

Alternatively if the herbaceous plants are well established, you could

take
part of each clump, leaving the new owner the larger part of each clump

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

I heard roses don't like being moved after 4 years in the ground!

Old 10-12-2002, 09:07 PM
david

I heard roses don't like being moved after 4 years in the ground!

quite right, but you could take cuttings..a lot of roses will do well on
their own roots

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries