GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bulky Plant (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/89243-bulky-plant.html)

David 27-01-2005 02:25 PM

Bulky Plant

Can anyone suggest a "substantial" flowering perennial (or annual) for the
back of a border in a corner. I had verbena bonariensis last year, but it
was too see-through and didn't have enough presence. I want something
heavier and bulkier, with more oomph.

Thanks.

Mike Lyle 27-01-2005 03:38 PM

David wrote:
Can anyone suggest a "substantial" flowering perennial (or annual)
for the back of a border in a corner. I had verbena bonariensis

last
year, but it was too see-through and didn't have enough presence.

want something heavier and bulkier, with more oomph.

Others will have many suggestions, but it sounds like a case for
delphinums to me, if the aspect's right. Good tall ones, not the
paltry modern runts.

Or sweet peas: again, not the modern abortions, but proper scented
ones.

Mike.

Sacha 27-01-2005 03:48 PM

On 27/1/05 3:38 pm, in article , "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

David wrote:
Can anyone suggest a "substantial" flowering perennial (or annual)
for the back of a border in a corner. I had verbena bonariensis

last
year, but it was too see-through and didn't have enough presence.

want something heavier and bulkier, with more oomph.

Others will have many suggestions, but it sounds like a case for
delphinums to me, if the aspect's right. Good tall ones, not the
paltry modern runts.

Or sweet peas: again, not the modern abortions, but proper scented
ones.

Mike.

Or a Cardoon - now *that's* 'presence' in a minimum of 6'x6'! ;-) Or, if
the climate is right, Amecia zygomeris, tall, unusual, pretty, quite
eye-catching. And Salvias are greatly under-rated, IMO. Again, which are
grown will depend on the location but here we get Salvia involucrata through
the winter and its zinging pink flowers stop everyone in their tracks, as
does Thalictrum Hewitt's Double - a really marvellous plant.
And if David had Verbena bonariensis last year, I would be surprised if he
doesn't find he's got it again this year - unless he hoicked it out before
it could seed!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Robert 27-01-2005 06:05 PM

"David" wrote in message
: Can anyone suggest a "substantial" flowering perennial (or annual) for the
: back of a border in a corner. I had verbena bonariensis last year, but it
: was too see-through and didn't have enough presence. I want something
: heavier and bulkier, with more oomph.
:
: Thanks.
:
I would go for a camelia if your soil is not alkaline as it can be pruned
with no problem if it gets too big and has "delicious" dark evergreen leaves
:

Charlie Pridham 28-01-2005 08:51 AM

"David" wrote in message
Can anyone suggest a "substantial" flowering perennial (or annual) for the
back of a border in a corner. I had verbena bonariensis last year, but it
was too see-through and didn't have enough presence. I want something
heavier and bulkier, with more oomph.

Thanks.

Acanthus mollis, Telekia speciosa or maybe Cardoon

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Spider 28-01-2005 12:29 PM

David wrote in message
Can anyone suggest a "substantial" flowering perennial (or annual) for the
back of a border in a corner. I had verbena bonariensis last year, but it
was too see-through and didn't have enough presence. I want something
heavier and bulkier, with more oomph.

Thanks.

Hi David,

I wonder if it has to be an _herbaceous_ perennial? If not, Lavatera would
fit the bill, being substantial in both its form and flowering period.
A possible border perennial might be Crambe cordifolia. If your corner
would support a climber, I could recommend Clematis texensis 'Duchess of
Albany' - I grow one of these and can always rely on plenty of leaf cover
as well as flowers from July to the frosts. It would look gorgeous if your
V. bonariensis stayed and kept it company.

Spider

David 29-01-2005 02:09 AM

"David" wrote ...
Can anyone suggest a "substantial" flowering perennial (or annual) for the
back of a border in a corner.

Thanks for all the suggestions. There are some good ideas there, and I'll
definitely be growing some of the plants that were suggested.

Thanks again.
David

Sacha 29-01-2005 10:25 AM

On 29/1/05 2:09, in article , "David"
wrote:

"David" wrote ...
Can anyone suggest a "substantial" flowering perennial (or annual) for the
back of a border in a corner.

Thanks for all the suggestions. There are some good ideas there, and I'll
definitely be growing some of the plants that were suggested.

Thanks again.
David

Once you've decided, please let us know what you choose and then later, how
you liked it. It's always nice to get the feedback!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Nick Maclaren 29-01-2005 11:10 AM

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

"David" wrote in message
Can anyone suggest a "substantial" flowering perennial (or annual) for the
back of a border in a corner. I had verbena bonariensis last year, but it
was too see-through and didn't have enough presence. I want something
heavier and bulkier, with more oomph.

Acanthus mollis, Telekia speciosa or maybe Cardoon

The first has oomph, all right. You plant it there and, before you
get time to blink, it has sprouted up 6' away - under the lawn as
well as in the flower beds. It took me a decade to eradicate.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Steve Harris 30-01-2005 12:43 AM

In article ,
(David) wrote:

too see-through and didn't have enough presence. I want something
heavier and bulkier, with more oomph.

Large Sunflowers. I had some red ones and a passer by knocked on my door
to ask where to get the seeds.

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/

Robert 30-01-2005 08:23 AM

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
: In article ,
: (David) wrote:
:
: too see-through and didn't have enough presence. I want something
: heavier and bulkier, with more oomph.
:
: Large Sunflowers. I had some red ones and a passer by knocked on my door
: to ask where to get the seeds.
:
And what is the answer?

Stewart Robert Hinsley 30-01-2005 03:19 PM

In article , Spider
writes
I wonder if it has to be an _herbaceous_ perennial? If not, Lavatera would
fit the bill, being substantial in both its form and flowering period.

There are herbaceous Lavateras. Lavatera thurigiaca 'Ice Cool' might fit
the bill. Lavatera x clementii 'Candy Floss' is herbaceous with me,
though I suspect that it might be shrubby in a different climate;
Alnwick Castle has a big specimen (6 feet high by 8 feet across) of
this. I don't know whether 'Sweet Dreams' or 'White Angel' become bulky,
but they are taller than 'Ice Cool'.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.malvaceae.info/