Old 06-12-2002, 09:17 PM
Terry Thorne

Default Compost bin

I have been asked to buy a plastic or wooden compost bin with wheels
as a xmas present for my elderly parents.

Knowing very little about the pros and cons of compost bins, can
anyone help by recommending a supplier in the UK, please?

I have thought about making a wheeled wooden one for them, but I would
prefer to leave this option if i can obtain a wooden or plastic one
commercially.

Thanks in advance,

Terry.
Old 06-12-2002, 10:02 PM
DaveDay34

I have been asked to buy a plastic or wooden compost bin with wheels
as a xmas present for my elderly parents.

snip

Thanks in advance,

Terry.

Why would you want a compost bin with wheels on? Seems very strange and I
guess you have a reasonable answer, but the mind boggles.

Dave.
Old 07-12-2002, 10:55 AM
Serena Blanchflower

On 06 Dec 2002 22:02:34 GMT, (DaveDay34) wrote:

Why would you want a compost bin with wheels on? Seems very strange and I
guess you have a reasonable answer, but the mind boggles.

The only ones I can think of are wormeries, which quite often come
in wheely bins. If this is what the OP wants, you can get them from
various places. Wiggly Wigglers, at
http://www.wormshop.co.uk/ do
a number of different types of wormery, including a wheely bin
style. I prefer their can-o-worms to the wheely bin style though,
as it's much easier to get at the completed compost.

--
Cheers, Serena

Where nothing is sure, everything is possible (Margaret Drabble)
Old 09-12-2002, 11:18 AM
Druss

"DaveDay34" wrote in message
I have been asked to buy a plastic or wooden compost bin with wheels
as a xmas present for my elderly parents.

snip

Thanks in advance,

Terry.

Why would you want a compost bin with wheels on? Seems very strange and I
guess you have a reasonable answer, but the mind boggles.

Dave.

Many of the council garbage technicians !!! are now collecting both "normal"
landfill rubbish and "green"/compostable ? rubbish, could be this, they look
just like wheelie bins but are green or brown not black.

Is it possible this is what they wanted ?, I was under the impression that
these were supplied by the council though.

Duncan

Old 09-12-2002, 01:56 PM

"Druss" wrote in message
: "DaveDay34" wrote in message
: ...
: I have been asked to buy a plastic or wooden compost bin with wheels
: as a xmas present for my elderly parents.
:
: snip
:
: Thanks in advance,
:
: Terry.
:
: Why would you want a compost bin with wheels on? Seems very strange and
: guess you have a reasonable answer, but the mind boggles.
:
: Dave.
:
: Many of the council garbage technicians !!! are now collecting both
"normal"
: landfill rubbish and "green"/compostable ? rubbish, could be this, they
look
: just like wheelie bins but are green or brown not black.
:
: Is it possible this is what they wanted ?, I was under the impression that
: these were supplied by the council though.

Not our council - if we want them we have to buy our own. For the recycling
stuff - not yet garden waste - they supply us with a crate.

:
: Duncan
:
:

Old 10-12-2002, 11:48 AM
Druss

"K" wrote in message

"Druss" wrote in message
: "DaveDay34" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

Yea we do currently have a crate scheme for paper/plastic/metal, but they
are introducing a garden waste scheme next year, these are going to be green
or brown wheelie bins collected at the same time as the black wheelie bins,
which they are also going to introduce next year !!!, I guess we'll all end
up paying for hem via council tax hikes, but it's got to be a good move
really. Keep stuff out of the landfills as much as possible

Duncan

Old 10-12-2002, 12:17 PM

"Druss" wrote in message
:
: Yea we do currently have a crate scheme for paper/plastic/metal, but they
: are introducing a garden waste scheme next year, these are going to be
green
: or brown wheelie bins collected at the same time as the black wheelie
bins,
: which they are also going to introduce next year !!!, I guess we'll all
end
: up paying for hem via council tax hikes, but it's got to be a good move
: really. Keep stuff out of the landfills as much as possible
:
: Duncan
:
Our council is piloting a scheme where they collect garden rubbish, compost
it and sell it back to us! I think I'll carry on composting my own. It
might just be a tad cheaper :O))

Old 11-12-2002, 02:58 PM
Sue

"K" wrote
Our council is piloting a scheme where they collect garden rubbish,
compost it and sell it back to us! I think I'll carry on composting my
own. It might just be a tad cheaper :O))

And at least you know what's in it. Judging from what gets thrown in the
'green' skip at out local household dump there'd be likely to be all sorts
of diseased stuff and perennial weed roots go into the mix. I think local
collection and composting is a good idea, but would their processing be at
high enough temperatures to destroy all nasties, I wonder?

Sue

Old 12-12-2002, 07:26 AM
Ken Riley

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 14:58:10 -0000, "Sue"
wrote:

"K" wrote
Our council is piloting a scheme where they collect garden rubbish,
compost it and sell it back to us! I think I'll carry on composting my
own. It might just be a tad cheaper :O))

And at least you know what's in it. Judging from what gets thrown in the
'green' skip at out local household dump there'd be likely to be all sorts
of diseased stuff and perennial weed roots go into the mix. I think local
collection and composting is a good idea, but would their processing be at
high enough temperatures to destroy all nasties, I wonder?

Sue

They had a programme on TV a few weeks ago showing how one of these
Council compost heaps works and though I can't remember figures the
heap was smoking like billy-o and the chap in charge said the
temperatures were very high and killed off just about everything.

Joan in Bramhall (Cheshire)

Old 12-12-2002, 12:12 PM
Andy Clews

Thus spake K unto the assembled multitudes:
Our council is piloting a scheme where they collect garden rubbish, compost
it and sell it back to us! I think I'll carry on composting my own. It
might just be a tad cheaper :O))

My LA (Wealden District Council) collects compostable waste (including
cardboard) and after composting they say that it is "spread on fields as a
soil conditioner". I presume they mean farms. I wonder if farmers have to
pay for this.

--
Andy Clews University of Sussex Computing Service
(Remove DENTURES if replying by email)

Old 12-12-2002, 12:14 PM
Andy Clews

Thus spake Ken Riley unto the assembled multitudes:
They had a programme on TV a few weeks ago showing how one of these
Council compost heaps works and though I can't remember figures the
heap was smoking like billy-o and the chap in charge said the
temperatures were very high and killed off just about everything.

I wouldn't have thought a compost heap would get hot enough to smoke :-)

They do give off a lot of water vapour though (not quite steam).

Old 12-12-2002, 02:34 PM
Judith Lea

In article , Andy Clews
writes
I wouldn't have thought a compost heap would get hot enough to smoke :-)

Goodness they do more than smoke, they can, and do burst into flame.
Mine burnt away the wood surround.
--
Judith Lea
Old 12-12-2002, 09:10 PM
DaveDay34

I wouldn't have thought a compost heap would get hot enough to smoke :-)

They do give off a lot of water vapour though (not quite steam).

--
Andy Clews University of Sussex Computing Service
(Remove DENTURES if replying by email)

A lecturer at college last year told of a 'phone call he had received from a
friend who was working with an industrial sized compost heap. The freind had
had his compost heap catch light with the heat produced by the microbial
activity within the heap. A team were trying to put the fire out, but adding
water to the heap was in effect adding moisture and creating a situation where
the microbes were enjoying perfect conditions. This meant that they were
breaking down more compost and creating even more heat, which was fueling the
fire. The fire was eventually extinguished.

Small compost heaps rarely get to very high tempereatures and usually compost
best anaerobically, where large compost heaps compost aerobically. Straw tends
to be most likely to create a lot of heat which can cause fires, and many
farmers have straw stacks spontaneously combust. Straw from stables mixed with
horse litter often catches fire in summer if given the right (or wrong,
depending on how you look at it) conditions.

Dave.