Old 30-01-2005, 01:05 PM
tom

Default Any suggestions on home made house plant leaf shine?

Hi,
I can remember some time ago reading (I think on this NG) a recipe /
suggestion for home made house plant leaf shine.

I have 2 large Umberella plants that are quite dusty and in need of
some cleaning. I have used those leaf shine tissues in the past but it
costs a fortune.

Can anyone remember the recipe?

Thanks
Old 30-01-2005, 05:28 PM
JennyC

"tom" wrote in message
Hi,
I can remember some time ago reading (I think on this NG) a recipe /
suggestion for home made house plant leaf shine.

I have 2 large Umberella plants that are quite dusty and in need of
some cleaning. I have used those leaf shine tissues in the past but it
costs a fortune.

Can anyone remember the recipe?
Thanks

Plain water works well - after all that's all rain is if the plant were in its
natural habitat "~)
Use a sponge or old tee shirt material and support the leaf from beneath while
gently wiping the dust away.

Even better would be to put them under the shower or outside while its
raining.........

Jenny

Old 30-01-2005, 06:21 PM
Larry Stoter

tom wrote:

Hi,
I can remember some time ago reading (I think on this NG) a recipe /
suggestion for home made house plant leaf shine.

I have 2 large Umberella plants that are quite dusty and in need of
some cleaning. I have used those leaf shine tissues in the past but it
costs a fortune.

Can anyone remember the recipe?

Thanks

Try full fat milk - the fat in the milk provides a very slightly greasy
coating, which gives the leaves a shine ...
--
Larry Stoter
Old 30-01-2005, 06:28 PM
Sacha

On 30/1/05 17:21, in article
, "Larry Stoter"
wrote:

tom wrote:

Hi,
I can remember some time ago reading (I think on this NG) a recipe /
suggestion for home made house plant leaf shine.

I have 2 large Umberella plants that are quite dusty and in need of
some cleaning. I have used those leaf shine tissues in the past but it
costs a fortune.

Can anyone remember the recipe?

Thanks

Try full fat milk - the fat in the milk provides a very slightly greasy
coating, which gives the leaves a shine ...

Won't that smell rather, um, interesting over the course of a day or two?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-01-2005, 06:47 PM
Mike Lyle

Sacha wrote:
On 30/1/05 17:21, in article
, "Larry Stoter"
wrote:

tom wrote:

Hi,
I can remember some time ago reading (I think on this NG) a

recipe /
suggestion for home made house plant leaf shine.

I have 2 large Umberella plants that are quite dusty and in

need
of some cleaning. I have used those leaf shine tissues in the

past
but it costs a fortune.

Can anyone remember the recipe?

Thanks

Try full fat milk - the fat in the milk provides a very slightly
greasy coating, which gives the leaves a shine ...

Won't that smell rather, um, interesting over the course of a day

or
two?

And don't various fungi grow on the greased leaves?

Mike.

Old 30-01-2005, 11:31 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 30/1/05 17:21, in article
, "Larry Stoter"
wrote:

tom wrote:

Hi,
I can remember some time ago reading (I think on this NG) a recipe /
suggestion for home made house plant leaf shine.

I have 2 large Umberella plants that are quite dusty and in need of
some cleaning. I have used those leaf shine tissues in the past but it
costs a fortune.

Can anyone remember the recipe?

Thanks

Try full fat milk - the fat in the milk provides a very slightly greasy
coating, which gives the leaves a shine ...

Won't that smell rather, um, interesting over the course of a day or two?

And the fat apparently clogs the pores causing the leaf to die.
I wash the leaves in the shower, then use baby bio leafshine which is cheap
and comes in a bottle so goes a long way.

Old 31-01-2005, 12:51 AM
Warren

ex WGS Hamm wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
k...

On 30/1/05 17:21, in article
. uk, "Larry Stoter"
wrote:

tom wrote:

Hi,
I can remember some time ago reading (I think on this NG) a recipe /
suggestion for home made house plant leaf shine.

I have 2 large Umberella plants that are quite dusty and in need of
some cleaning. I have used those leaf shine tissues in the past but it
costs a fortune.

Can anyone remember the recipe?

Thanks

Try full fat milk - the fat in the milk provides a very slightly greasy
coating, which gives the leaves a shine ...

Won't that smell rather, um, interesting over the course of a day or two?

And the fat apparently clogs the pores causing the leaf to die.
I wash the leaves in the shower, then use baby bio leafshine which is cheap
and comes in a bottle so goes a long way.

Try wiping the leaves with the inside of a banana skin
Old 31-01-2005, 09:32 PM
Larry Stoter

Sacha wrote:

On 30/1/05 17:21, in article
, "Larry Stoter"
wrote:

tom wrote:

Hi,
I can remember some time ago reading (I think on this NG) a recipe /
suggestion for home made house plant leaf shine.

I have 2 large Umberella plants that are quite dusty and in need of
some cleaning. I have used those leaf shine tissues in the past but it
costs a fortune.

Can anyone remember the recipe?

Thanks

Try full fat milk - the fat in the milk provides a very slightly greasy
coating, which gives the leaves a shine ...

Won't that smell rather, um, interesting over the course of a day or two?

No - dries very quickly, leaving a very thin, waxy coating which doesn't
seem especially attractive to fungi or other pests.

As to pore clogging, I think it will depend on the plant species. Those
which have shiney leaves, I think, tend to have the stomata on the
underside.
--
Larry Stoter
Old 01-02-2005, 07:09 AM
JennyC

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
. co.uk...
tom wrote:

Hi,
I can remember some time ago reading (I think on this NG) a recipe /
suggestion for home made house plant leaf shine.
I have 2 large Umberella plants that are quite dusty and in need of
some cleaning. I have used those leaf shine tissues in the past but it
costs a fortune.
Can anyone remember the recipe?
Thanks

Try full fat milk - the fat in the milk provides a very slightly greasy
coating, which gives the leaves a shine ...
Larry Stoter

I read that the milk clogs the plants pores............
Jenny

Old 21-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Registered User

Location: Vail Co.
Smile

[quote=tom;493448]Hi,
I can remember some time ago reading (I think on this NG) a recipe /
suggestion for home made house plant leaf shine.

I have 2 large Umberella plants that are quite dusty and in need of
some cleaning. I have used those leaf shine tissues in the past but it
costs a fortune.

Can anyone remember the recipe?

The best for large leaf is 1 oz. of melk in * oz. water
also mayonase works well
Old 21-02-2011, 07:56 PM
Registered User

Location: Vail Co.

[quote=Dick Brady;913447][quote=tom;493448]Hi,
I can remember some time ago reading (I think on this NG) a recipe /
suggestion for home made house plant leaf shine.

I have 2 large Umberella plants that are quite dusty and in need of
some cleaning. I have used those leaf shine tissues in the past but it
costs a fortune.

Can anyone remember the recipe?

The best for large leaf is 1 oz. of melk in 8 oz. water
also mayonase works well as well as wd40 on a soft rag

How to kill off any seeds in home-made compost? AL_n United Kingdom 11 18-09-2011 11:24 PM
Raymond Weil Shine Watch [email protected] Texas 0 21-05-2009 04:52 AM
leaf shine scullycat Gardening 7 28-05-2005 08:21 PM
Orchids and Leaf Shine Shell Orchids 5 21-11-2004 12:17 AM
leaf shine scullycat Gardening 3 01-09-2004 11:51 PM