GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   "ComposTumbler"? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/89392-%22compostumbler%22.html)

VX 01-02-2005 09:32 PM

"ComposTumbler"?

I've got some sales literature that came in a Screwfix order about a device
for making compost called the ComposTumbler that- supposedly- makes good
compost in 14 days because it has the facility for turning rather like a
cement mixer; you turn it every day and this allows the process to speed up
somewhat. All was well until I called the freephone number and heard the
prices- £299 and £399 for the medium and large ones respectively and for the
small garden-porch model, £199.

If these reelly are that good I *might* be interested since whatever it takes
to make compost normally is probably too much effort for me with my physical
limitations. But this does sound a little expensive! Anyone know anything
about these?

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

nambucca 01-02-2005 09:40 PM

"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

Dont bother ......have not heard any good reports on these and they are sure
expensive

The best compost bins remain close boarded pallets put together line with
heavy duty polythene or old carpet
put them on concrete or paving slabs
fill with a good mix of grass, leaves, shredded prunings ,shredded paper,
cardboard , horse manure , weeds etc mix together well .....add a few
buckets of urine cover with plastic plus a solid lid ........in 3 months
turn the whole lot into a 2nd bin and depending on weather and worm action
in 6 to 9 months you will have compost like potting compost

Franz Heymann 01-02-2005 09:46 PM

"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
I've got some sales literature that came in a Screwfix order about a

device
for making compost called the ComposTumbler that- supposedly- makes

good
compost in 14 days because it has the facility for turning rather

like a
cement mixer; you turn it every day and this allows the process to

speed up
somewhat. All was well until I called the freephone number and heard

the
prices- £299 and £399 for the medium and large ones respectively and

for the
small garden-porch model, £199.

It is a rip-off. There is not even the faintest possibility that any
home composter will produce compost in 14 days.
It is being sold at around 10 to 20 times a reasonable price.

If these reelly are that good I *might* be interested since whatever

it takes
to make compost normally is probably too much effort for me with my

physical
limitations. But this does sound a little expensive! Anyone know

anything
about these?

Franz

Nick Maclaren 01-02-2005 10:02 PM

In article ,
Franz Heymann wrote:

It is a rip-off. There is not even the faintest possibility that any
home composter will produce compost in 14 days.

Hmm. If you selected only the tenderest, most delicate, kitchen waste
and composted it perfectly during a heatwave, then just maybe ....

It is being sold at around 10 to 20 times a reasonable price.

Yes, indeed. Completely ridiculous.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Mike Lyle 01-02-2005 10:17 PM

Franz Heymann wrote:
"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

It's just ridiculous. If it's small enough to turn by hand, it's too
small to make compost. Put it in the same compartment as shredders,
flame-throwers, and wormeries: just another way of separating the
innocent from their hard-earned. Gardening is a simple business, and
those who do it on next to nothing can get better results than those
who spend thousands. These sharks are just trying to cultivate the
idea that everything has to cost money before it'll work.

Mike.

Phil L 01-02-2005 10:31 PM

Mike Lyle wrote:
::
:: It's just ridiculous. If it's small enough to turn by hand, it's
:: too small to make compost. Put it in the same compartment as
:: shredders, flame-throwers, and wormeries: just another way of
:: separating the innocent from their hard-earned. Gardening is a
:: simple business, and those who do it on next to nothing can get
:: better results than those who spend thousands. These sharks are
:: just trying to cultivate the idea that everything has to cost
:: money before it'll work.

It's not just gardening I'm afraid, every retailer now uses marketing speak
to sell crap that doesn't work, usually at exhorbitant prices.
This is just one more example of the 'instant' culture which has taken over
our society, no one wants to wait for anything....this mindset was created
by marketing departments (fast food, microwavable everything, on-demand
technology etc etc) and they utilise it every day to sell more and more
garbage which gets used twice then discarded but they have acheived what
they set out to do, part you from your money.

--

http://www.blueyonder256k.myby.co.uk/

June Hughes 02-02-2005 12:03 AM

In message m, VX
writes
I've got some sales literature that came in a Screwfix order about a device
for making compost called the ComposTumbler that- supposedly- makes good
compost in 14 days because it has the facility for turning rather like a
cement mixer; you turn it every day and this allows the process to speed up
somewhat. All was well until I called the freephone number and heard the
prices- £299 and £399 for the medium and large ones respectively and for the
small garden-porch model, £199.

If these reelly are that good I *might* be interested since whatever it takes
to make compost normally is probably too much effort for me with my physical
limitations. But this does sound a little expensive! Anyone know anything
about these?

I had one from our local council around 12 years ago and it cost £10. I
think they now charge £20 or so. It works fine but takes an awful lot
longer than 14 days to make compost. £199 seems highly excessive.
--
June Hughes

Glen Able 02-02-2005 08:44 AM

"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

I remeber these, or something similar, were tested in the Gardeners' World
composting trials, a year or two ago. I recall Monty was very sceptical
about it to start with but was then very impressed when it did produce
compost considerably faster than any of the other heaps/dalek bins/whatever.

However, at that price, I'd want it to make compost instantly, and also make
me cups of tea.

bigboard 02-02-2005 10:49 AM

Mike Lyle wrote:

It's just ridiculous. If it's small enough to turn by hand, it's too
small to make compost. Put it in the same compartment as shredders,
flame-throwers, and wormeries: just another way of separating the
innocent from their hard-earned. Gardening is a simple business, and
those who do it on next to nothing can get better results than those
who spend thousands. These sharks are just trying to cultivate the
idea that everything has to cost money before it'll work.

I have a small wormery that produces excellent compost and liquid plant
food, and takes all of my organic kitchen waste. It sits next to the bin in
my kitchen and was worth every penny. What have you got against them?

Likewise, my shredder minces all my woody trimmings which can then go on the
compost heap. My garden is not big enough to have a pile of clippings,
taking years to rot away, and I don't have a van, trailer or the
inclination to drive miles to the nearest tip. Perhaps you could explain
why my shredder was a waste of money?

The tumbler, however, I completely agree with you about.

--
"In Christianity neither morality nor religion come into contact with
reality at any point."

Mike Lyle 02-02-2005 12:53 PM

bigboard wrote:
Mike Lyle wrote:

It's just ridiculous. If it's small enough to turn by hand, it's

too
small to make compost. Put it in the same compartment as

shredders,
flame-throwers, and wormeries: just another way of separating the
innocent from their hard-earned. Gardening is a simple business,

and
those who do it on next to nothing can get better results than

those
who spend thousands. These sharks are just trying to cultivate the
idea that everything has to cost money before it'll work.

I have a small wormery that produces excellent compost and liquid
plant food, and takes all of my organic kitchen waste. It sits next
to the bin in my kitchen and was worth every penny. What have you

got
against them?

OK, different strokes for different folks, of course. But I don't see
the advantage over a plain old compost-heap.

Likewise, my shredder minces all my woody trimmings which can then

go
on the compost heap. My garden is not big enough to have a pile of
clippings, taking years to rot away, and I don't have a van,

trailer
or the inclination to drive miles to the nearest tip. Perhaps you
could explain why my shredder was a waste of money?

Last time I shot my mouth off about shredders, I was more careful. I
said something like "most people have gardens too small to justify
shredding woody material". Most things you can cut with a spade don't
need shredding before composting, and in a typical tiny garden there
won't be enough tougher stuff to warrant the cost and storage space
of the shredder -- it's simplest to burn or bin what woody stuff
there is, or take it to the Council's composting service if one can.
A barrow-load of hedge trimmings yields how much compost? and uses up
how much nitrogen on the way?

But if using a shredder suits your gardening, it's none of my
business: and I can see the satisfying side of it, too. I just don't
want people to go into it blindly -- you'll have noticed I'm a bit
hostile to B&Q "must-haves" and over-consumption of energy!

The tumbler, however, I completely agree with you about.

Good lad!

Mike.

bigboard 02-02-2005 01:49 PM

Mike Lyle wrote:

bigboard wrote:

I have a small wormery that produces excellent compost and liquid
plant food, and takes all of my organic kitchen waste. It sits next
to the bin in my kitchen and was worth every penny. What have you

got
against them?

OK, different strokes for different folks, of course. But I don't see
the advantage over a plain old compost-heap.

I have both. The wormery is in my nice warm kitchen, the compost heap is
ninety feet up the garden.

[...]

Strangely almost exactly the amount my lawn clippings provide!

But if using a shredder suits your gardening, it's none of my
business: and I can see the satisfying side of it, too. I just don't
want people to go into it blindly -- you'll have noticed I'm a bit
hostile to B&Q "must-haves" and over-consumption of energy!

Oh, I'm with you on that. My particular pet-hate is leaf blowers! I just
think that the shredder uses less energy than driving all the way to the
dump, which I would have to do more than once every time I cut my hedges.
Plus, I don't have to drive to the Garden Centre for compost.

The tumbler, however, I completely agree with you about.

Good lad!

Mike.

--
A free society is one where it is safe to be unpopular.
-- Adlai Stevenson

Franz Heymann 02-02-2005 03:55 PM

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Franz Heymann wrote:
"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

Hear hear.

Franz

Franz Heymann 02-02-2005 03:55 PM

"bigboard" wrote in message
Mike Lyle wrote:

[snip]
I have a small wormery that produces excellent compost and liquid

plant
food, and takes all of my organic kitchen waste. It sits next to the

bin in
my kitchen and was worth every penny. What have you got against

them?

The fact that it takes six weeks to dispose of 1 week's kitchen waste.

[snip]

Franz

bigboard 02-02-2005 04:55 PM

Franz Heymann wrote:

"bigboard" wrote in message
Mike Lyle wrote:

[snip]
I have a small wormery that produces excellent compost and liquid

plant
food, and takes all of my organic kitchen waste. It sits next to the

bin in
my kitchen and was worth every penny. What have you got against

them?

The fact that it takes six weeks to dispose of 1 week's kitchen waste.

Then your wormery is too small for your needs. Mine suits me perfectly.

--
All science is either physics or stamp collecting.
-- E. Rutherford

bigboard 02-02-2005 04:56 PM

wrote:

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:55:12 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Franz Heymann wrote:
"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

... said the man with the failed worm farm :-)

LOL! Franz was probably putting all the cats in he shoots. Wormeries were
never designed for cat disposal.

--
Excellent day for putting Slinkies on an escalator.

Franz Heymann 02-02-2005 10:08 PM

"bigboard" wrote in message
Franz Heymann wrote:

"bigboard" wrote in message
Mike Lyle wrote:

[snip]
I have a small wormery that produces excellent compost and liquid

plant
food, and takes all of my organic kitchen waste. It sits next to

the
bin in
my kitchen and was worth every penny. What have you got against

them?

The fact that it takes six weeks to dispose of 1 week's kitchen

waste.

Then your wormery is too small for your needs. Mine suits me

perfectly.

Mine has a diameter of approximately 1 ft. How large must I make it
to cope six times as fast as it does now?

All science is either physics or stamp collecting.

My profession was physicist and my hobby is stamp collecting, so
according to Rutherford, I was a full time scientist.

Franz

Franz Heymann 02-02-2005 10:08 PM

wrote in message
On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:55:13 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"bigboard" wrote in message
Mike Lyle wrote:

[snip]
I have a small wormery that produces excellent compost and liquid

plant
food, and takes all of my organic kitchen waste. It sits next to

the
bin in
my kitchen and was worth every penny. What have you got against

them?

The fact that it takes six weeks to dispose of 1 week's kitchen

waste.

You pamper your worms Franz.

Since we last spoke on the topic, I threw those Tubergen bulb trays in
the waste bin and rehoused my worms in a wormery made by drilling
plenty of holes in the bottom of some old chicken pellet buckets.
They stack nicely. The worms still don't eat. They just lie there
laughing at me.

Franz

Franz Heymann 02-02-2005 10:08 PM

wrote in message
On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:55:12 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Franz Heymann wrote:
"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

I do not have any failed worms on my farm. They are thrivind and
rotund. They just don't eat fast enough
Seriously, should I perhaps put a trowelful of garden soil in their
hostel now and again?

Franz

Franz Heymann 02-02-2005 10:09 PM

"bigboard" wrote in message

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:55:12 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Franz Heymann wrote:
"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

I am sticking rigorously to the EU directives and exclude cats and
other sorts of meat from the wormery.
{:-))

Franz

Steve Harris 02-02-2005 11:15 PM

In article ,
(Franz Heymann) wrote:

Mine has a diameter of approximately 1 ft. How large must I make it
to cope six times as fast as it does now?

Wild guess, 2.449489742783 feet :-) Approximately :-)

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/

Nick Maclaren 02-02-2005 11:15 PM

In article ,
Franz Heymann wrote:

Then your wormery is too small for your needs. Mine suits me

perfectly.

Mine has a diameter of approximately 1 ft. How large must I make it
to cope six times as fast as it does now?

Have you read Charles Dodgson (a.k.a. Lewis Carroll) on the question
of how many cats it takes to kill rats in a given time?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nick Maclaren 02-02-2005 11:20 PM

In article ,
Franz Heymann wrote:
"bigboard" wrote in message

LOL! Franz was probably putting all the cats in he shoots. Wormeries

were
never designed for cat disposal.

I am sticking rigorously to the EU directives and exclude cats and
other sorts of meat from the wormery.
{:-))

Does anyone here run a maggotery?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Mike Lyle 03-02-2005 12:34 AM

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Franz Heymann wrote:
"bigboard" wrote in message

LOL! Franz was probably putting all the cats in he shoots.
Wormeries were never designed for cat disposal.

I am sticking rigorously to the EU directives and exclude cats and
other sorts of meat from the wormery.
{:-))

Does anyone here run a maggotery?

I saw one on TV once. "Maggotry", on the other hand, sounds like an
obscure criminal offence, possibly less common in these days of
widespread street-lighting.

Mike.

Franz Heymann 03-02-2005 09:21 AM

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
In article ,
(Franz Heymann) wrote:

Mine has a diameter of approximately 1 ft. How large must I make

it
to cope six times as fast as it does now?

Wild guess, 2.449489742783 feet :-) Approximately :-)

Yours and mine round off differently.
{:-))

Franz

Franz Heymann 03-02-2005 09:21 AM

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Franz Heymann wrote:

Then your wormery is too small for your needs. Mine suits me

perfectly.

Mine has a diameter of approximately 1 ft. How large must I make

it
to cope six times as fast as it does now?

Have you read Charles Dodgson (a.k.a. Lewis Carroll) on the question
of how many cats it takes to kill rats in a given time?

No, but I look forward to hearing where he wrote that.

If all the animals are reasonably spaced, I guess the number killed
per unit time is proportional to the product of the number of cats and
rats.
{:-))

Franz

Franz

jane 03-02-2005 09:28 AM

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 22:08:58 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

~
~"bigboard" wrote in message
~ Franz Heymann wrote:
~
~
~ "bigboard" wrote in message
~ ...
~ Mike Lyle wrote:
~
~ [snip]
~ I have a small wormery that produces excellent compost and liquid
~ plant
~ food, and takes all of my organic kitchen waste. It sits next to
~the
~ bin in
~ my kitchen and was worth every penny. What have you got against
~ them?
~
~ The fact that it takes six weeks to dispose of 1 week's kitchen
~waste.
~
~
~ Then your wormery is too small for your needs. Mine suits me
~perfectly.
~
~Mine has a diameter of approximately 1 ft. How large must I make it
~to cope six times as fast as it does now?

I presume current volume is therefore 0.25.pi.depth so you'd need to
be at approximately 2.449 feet diameter. As if you didn't know! :)
jane checks following emails - yep, we all agree!

~ All science is either physics or stamp collecting.
~
~My profession was physicist and my hobby is stamp collecting, so
~according to Rutherford, I was a full time scientist.
~
:-)

I love that quote. Would have liked to put it at the start of my
thesis but at the time my external examiner wasn't sorted and could
have been a medical physicist or a clued-up medic and I didn't want
the latter to get rebuffed and be more likely to fail me!

(As it was, I got two physicists and no problems, phew, so I could
have put it in!)

Now I collect china ducks but it was once British mint stamps until I
got disillusioned with the mail obviously printing them for collectors
to buy and making way too much money. (ie when I was a student!).

I still buy the ones with plant or astronomy connections though, thus
linking hobbies!

So, this begs the question, what do urglers have as other hobbies for
when they can't garden?

jane, medical physicist, duck collector, reader of murder-mysteries
and science fiction, and avid photographer. :-)

--
jane

Mark Twain

jane 03-02-2005 09:31 AM

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 22:09:00 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

~
~"bigboard" wrote in message
~ wrote:
~
~ On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:55:12 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
~ wrote:
~
huge snip
~
~ Hear hear.
~
~ ... said the man with the failed worm farm :-)
~
~ LOL! Franz was probably putting all the cats in he shoots. Wormeries
~were
~ never designed for cat disposal.
~
~I am sticking rigorously to the EU directives and exclude cats and
~other sorts of meat from the wormery.
~{:-))
~
Actually, this is a good point. Cats compost their products naturally
- does this mean the EU has banned cats?

:-) :-) :-)

g,d&rlh

--
jane

Mark Twain

bigboard 03-02-2005 09:56 AM

Franz Heymann wrote:

"bigboard" wrote in message
Franz Heymann wrote:

"bigboard" wrote in message
Mike Lyle wrote:

[snip]
I have a small wormery that produces excellent compost and liquid
plant
food, and takes all of my organic kitchen waste. It sits next to

the
bin in
my kitchen and was worth every penny. What have you got against
them?

The fact that it takes six weeks to dispose of 1 week's kitchen

waste.

Then your wormery is too small for your needs. Mine suits me

perfectly.

Mine has a diameter of approximately 1 ft. How large must I make it
to cope six times as fast as it does now?

Six times as large? Seriously, I suspect that you are being a bit impatient
with your worms. It can take quite a while for them to reach sufficient
numbers to be efficient. Once they get there though, there's no stopping
them.

All science is either physics or stamp collecting.

My profession was physicist and my hobby is stamp collecting, so
according to Rutherford, I was a full time scientist.

LOL. Nice one.

--
Love your enemies: they'll go crazy trying to figure out what you're up
to.

Nick Maclaren 03-02-2005 09:56 AM

In article ,
Franz Heymann wrote:

Have you read Charles Dodgson (a.k.a. Lewis Carroll) on the question
of how many cats it takes to kill rats in a given time?

No, but I look forward to hearing where he wrote that.

"The Monthly Packet", February 1880. It is on pages 140-142 of
The Magic of Lewis Carrol by John Fisher (Penguin), but my copy
was published in 1975.

If all the animals are reasonably spaced, I guess the number killed
per unit time is proportional to the product of the number of cats and
rats.
{:-))

You've got to the first step.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

bigboard 03-02-2005 09:58 AM

Franz Heymann wrote:

"bigboard" wrote in message

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:55:12 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Franz Heymann wrote:
"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

Good point! I'd forgotten about the animal waste directive. Bury them under
newly planted trees then.

--
"I'm fed up to the ears with old men dreaming up wars for young men to
die in."

bigboard 03-02-2005 10:00 AM

Franz Heymann wrote:

I do not have any failed worms on my farm. They are thrivind and
rotund. They just don't eat fast enough
Seriously, should I perhaps put a trowelful of garden soil in their
hostel now and again?

I don't think that would help. They like a bit of calcified sea weed now and
again though.

--
Excellent day for putting Slinkies on an escalator.

Nick Maclaren 03-02-2005 10:00 AM

In article ,
jane wrote:

I love that quote. Would have liked to put it at the start of my
thesis but at the time my external examiner wasn't sorted and could
have been a medical physicist or a clued-up medic and I didn't want
the latter to get rebuffed and be more likely to fail me!

Whereas I loathe it intensely. It wouldn't matter if so many boneheaded
physicists didn't believe it - and extrapolate it to mean that they don't
need to learn from other sciences :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

bigboard 03-02-2005 10:01 AM

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
jane wrote:

I love that quote. Would have liked to put it at the start of my
thesis but at the time my external examiner wasn't sorted and could
have been a medical physicist or a clued-up medic and I didn't want
the latter to get rebuffed and be more likely to fail me!

Whereas I loathe it intensely. It wouldn't matter if so many boneheaded
physicists didn't believe it - and extrapolate it to mean that they don't
need to learn from other sciences :-(

Aha! A stamp collector. ;)

--
In the old days, it was not called the Holiday Season; the Christians
called it "Christmas" and went to church; the Jews called it "Hanukka"

Nick Maclaren 03-02-2005 10:11 AM

In article ,
bigboard wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:

Whereas I loathe it intensely. It wouldn't matter if so many boneheaded
physicists didn't believe it - and extrapolate it to mean that they don't
need to learn from other sciences :-(

Aha! A stamp collector. ;)

Sigh. Carroll would have despaired at you, I despair at you, and for
the same reason. Even accepting Rutherford's definition, I am neither
a physicist nor a stamp collector. Yet I can (with justification)
claim to know more about what constitutes a science than most scientists.
What am I?

[ Actually, I don't claim to be a specialist in that area, but I can
honestly claim what I did. Unfortunately :-( ]

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

jane 03-02-2005 10:33 AM

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 10:01:10 +0000, bigboard
wrote:

~Nick Maclaren wrote:
~
~ In article ,
~ jane wrote:
~
~I love that quote. Would have liked to put it at the start of my
~thesis but at the time my external examiner wasn't sorted and could
~have been a medical physicist or a clued-up medic and I didn't want
~the latter to get rebuffed and be more likely to fail me!
~
~ Whereas I loathe it intensely. It wouldn't matter if so many boneheaded
~ physicists didn't believe it - and extrapolate it to mean that they don't
~ need to learn from other sciences :-(

Nah, we just used it at Uni to wind up the Chemists!
(Best way was to mention that chemistry is a subset of physics. You
got the best effect after they'd had 2-3 pints on a Friday night :-)

The quote never fails to wind up every other scientific discipline. As
all physics students know well :-)

And we must know
If it moves, it's biology
If it reacts (or blows up, or smells) it's chemistry
If it doesn't work, it's physics.

which is a negative comment on school physics lessons! (Though having
had a capacitor blow up in my face once in a physics lesson, I could
alter it a bit).

However!!!
Anyone who is a gardener is an amateur botanist and biologist (and
entomologist!) . If you test soil for pH, and add matter/compounds to
correct soil problems, you're a chemist. And we are all also amateur
meteorologists (at least in Europe!).

Any others? I'm sure I've missed several.

So there we are, every gardener is a scientist. Also an artist (after
all, we paint with flowers and design our plots.) What better hobby
can one have to cover so many disciplines equally?

~Aha! A stamp collector. ;)

Wouldn't you love to know what Rutherford got as a reaction when he
originally said it? I'm sure it got one...

--
jane

Mark Twain

jane 03-02-2005 10:39 AM

On 3 Feb 2005 10:11:03 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

~In article ,
~bigboard wrote:
~Nick Maclaren wrote:
~
~ Whereas I loathe it intensely. It wouldn't matter if so many boneheaded
~ physicists didn't believe it - and extrapolate it to mean that they don't
~ need to learn from other sciences :-(
~
~Aha! A stamp collector. ;)
~
~Sigh. Carroll would have despaired at you, I despair at you, and for
~the same reason. Even accepting Rutherford's definition, I am neither
~a physicist nor a stamp collector. Yet I can (with justification)
~claim to know more about what constitutes a science than most scientists.
~What am I?
~
~[ Actually, I don't claim to be a specialist in that area, but I can
~honestly claim what I did. Unfortunately :-( ]
~
Going by your old .sig and email addy, a computer scientist?

Otherwise known as someone who has to deal with whacky computing
requests from every other discipline. And maybe knows a fair bit about
semiconductors, materials science and logical flow.

Either that or a mathematician (you could argue all physics is just
applied maths, which would have shut Rutherford up).

--
jane

Mark Twain

Nick Maclaren 03-02-2005 11:16 AM

In article ,
(jane) writes:
| ~
| Going by your old .sig and email addy, a computer scientist?

No way! To quote a founder of modern computing: "Computer science
has nothing to do with computing and isn't a science."

| Otherwise known as someone who has to deal with whacky computing
| requests from every other discipline. And maybe knows a fair bit about
| semiconductors, materials science and logical flow.

The first, but not the second (except for logical flow).

| Either that or a mathematician (you could argue all physics is just
| applied maths, which would have shut Rutherford up).

Yes, precisely. Mathematician, statistician and incidental logician
and mathematical philosopher.

My main point was similar to your previous one in some respects.
Statistics was largely created by biologists, and most physicists
(including all 'hard' sciences here) still have trouble with it,
despite modern physics being increasingly probabilistic. But when
we get onto intrinsically unrepeatable experiments, observations
that are linked acausally and experimenter/observation interactions,
this gets MUCH worse. The experts on those, such as exist, are in
the fields of philosophy and the 'social sciences'.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Franz Heymann 03-02-2005 05:42 PM

Franz Heymann wrote:

Have you read Charles Dodgson (a.k.a. Lewis Carroll) on the

question
of how many cats it takes to kill rats in a given time?

No, but I look forward to hearing where he wrote that.

"The Monthly Packet", February 1880. It is on pages 140-142 of
The Magic of Lewis Carrol by John Fisher (Penguin), but my copy
was published in 1975.

If all the animals are reasonably spaced, I guess the number killed
per unit time is proportional to the product of the number of cats

and
rats.
{:-))

You've got to the first step.

I'll have to hunt the net for a copy of the book.

Franz

Franz Heymann 03-02-2005 05:42 PM

(jane) writes:
| ~
| Going by your old .sig and email addy, a computer scientist?

No way! To quote a founder of modern computing: "Computer science
has nothing to do with computing and isn't a science."

| Otherwise known as someone who has to deal with whacky computing
| requests from every other discipline. And maybe knows a fair bit

about
| semiconductors, materials science and logical flow.

The first, but not the second (except for logical flow).

| Either that or a mathematician (you could argue all physics is

just
| applied maths, which would have shut Rutherford up).

Yes, precisely. Mathematician, statistician and incidental logician
and mathematical philosopher.

My main point was similar to your previous one in some respects.
Statistics was largely created by biologists, and most physicists
(including all 'hard' sciences here) still have trouble with it,

That's true, and entirely understandable. Physicists deal, more often
than not, with such a profusion of clean data compared with folk in
the medical and social sciences that in practice they can afford to be
somewhat cavalier with specifying their confidence limits.