Old 01-02-2005, 10:32 PM
VX

Default "ComposTumbler"?

I've got some sales literature that came in a Screwfix order about a device
for making compost called the ComposTumbler that- supposedly- makes good
compost in 14 days because it has the facility for turning rather like a
cement mixer; you turn it every day and this allows the process to speed up
somewhat. All was well until I called the freephone number and heard the
prices- £299 and £399 for the medium and large ones respectively and for the
small garden-porch model, £199.

If these reelly are that good I *might* be interested since whatever it takes
to make compost normally is probably too much effort for me with my physical
limitations. But this does sound a little expensive! Anyone know anything
about these?

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

Old 01-02-2005, 10:40 PM
nambucca

"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

Dont bother ......have not heard any good reports on these and they are sure
expensive

The best compost bins remain close boarded pallets put together line with
heavy duty polythene or old carpet
put them on concrete or paving slabs
fill with a good mix of grass, leaves, shredded prunings ,shredded paper,
cardboard , horse manure , weeds etc mix together well .....add a few
buckets of urine cover with plastic plus a solid lid ........in 3 months
turn the whole lot into a 2nd bin and depending on weather and worm action
in 6 to 9 months you will have compost like potting compost

Old 01-02-2005, 10:46 PM
Franz Heymann

"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
I've got some sales literature that came in a Screwfix order about a

device
for making compost called the ComposTumbler that- supposedly- makes

good
compost in 14 days because it has the facility for turning rather

like a
cement mixer; you turn it every day and this allows the process to

speed up
somewhat. All was well until I called the freephone number and heard

the
prices- £299 and £399 for the medium and large ones respectively and

for the
small garden-porch model, £199.

It is a rip-off. There is not even the faintest possibility that any
home composter will produce compost in 14 days.
It is being sold at around 10 to 20 times a reasonable price.

If these reelly are that good I *might* be interested since whatever

it takes
to make compost normally is probably too much effort for me with my

physical
limitations. But this does sound a little expensive! Anyone know

anything
about these?

Franz

Old 01-02-2005, 11:02 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Franz Heymann wrote:

It is a rip-off. There is not even the faintest possibility that any
home composter will produce compost in 14 days.

Hmm. If you selected only the tenderest, most delicate, kitchen waste
and composted it perfectly during a heatwave, then just maybe ....

It is being sold at around 10 to 20 times a reasonable price.

Yes, indeed. Completely ridiculous.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:17 PM
Mike Lyle

Franz Heymann wrote:
"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

It's just ridiculous. If it's small enough to turn by hand, it's too
small to make compost. Put it in the same compartment as shredders,
flame-throwers, and wormeries: just another way of separating the
innocent from their hard-earned. Gardening is a simple business, and
those who do it on next to nothing can get better results than those
who spend thousands. These sharks are just trying to cultivate the
idea that everything has to cost money before it'll work.

Mike.

Old 01-02-2005, 11:31 PM
Phil L

Mike Lyle wrote:
::
:: It's just ridiculous. If it's small enough to turn by hand, it's
:: too small to make compost. Put it in the same compartment as
:: shredders, flame-throwers, and wormeries: just another way of
:: separating the innocent from their hard-earned. Gardening is a
:: simple business, and those who do it on next to nothing can get
:: better results than those who spend thousands. These sharks are
:: just trying to cultivate the idea that everything has to cost
:: money before it'll work.

It's not just gardening I'm afraid, every retailer now uses marketing speak
to sell crap that doesn't work, usually at exhorbitant prices.
This is just one more example of the 'instant' culture which has taken over
our society, no one wants to wait for anything....this mindset was created
by marketing departments (fast food, microwavable everything, on-demand
technology etc etc) and they utilise it every day to sell more and more
garbage which gets used twice then discarded but they have acheived what
they set out to do, part you from your money.

--

http://www.blueyonder256k.myby.co.uk/

Old 02-02-2005, 01:03 AM
June Hughes

In message m, VX
writes
I've got some sales literature that came in a Screwfix order about a device
for making compost called the ComposTumbler that- supposedly- makes good
compost in 14 days because it has the facility for turning rather like a
cement mixer; you turn it every day and this allows the process to speed up
somewhat. All was well until I called the freephone number and heard the
prices- £299 and £399 for the medium and large ones respectively and for the
small garden-porch model, £199.

If these reelly are that good I *might* be interested since whatever it takes
to make compost normally is probably too much effort for me with my physical
limitations. But this does sound a little expensive! Anyone know anything
about these?

I had one from our local council around 12 years ago and it cost £10. I
think they now charge £20 or so. It works fine but takes an awful lot
longer than 14 days to make compost. £199 seems highly excessive.
--
June Hughes
Old 02-02-2005, 09:44 AM
Glen Able

"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

I remeber these, or something similar, were tested in the Gardeners' World
composting trials, a year or two ago. I recall Monty was very sceptical
about it to start with but was then very impressed when it did produce
compost considerably faster than any of the other heaps/dalek bins/whatever.

However, at that price, I'd want it to make compost instantly, and also make
me cups of tea.

Old 02-02-2005, 11:49 AM
bigboard

Mike Lyle wrote:

It's just ridiculous. If it's small enough to turn by hand, it's too
small to make compost. Put it in the same compartment as shredders,
flame-throwers, and wormeries: just another way of separating the
innocent from their hard-earned. Gardening is a simple business, and
those who do it on next to nothing can get better results than those
who spend thousands. These sharks are just trying to cultivate the
idea that everything has to cost money before it'll work.

I have a small wormery that produces excellent compost and liquid plant
food, and takes all of my organic kitchen waste. It sits next to the bin in
my kitchen and was worth every penny. What have you got against them?

Likewise, my shredder minces all my woody trimmings which can then go on the
compost heap. My garden is not big enough to have a pile of clippings,
taking years to rot away, and I don't have a van, trailer or the
inclination to drive miles to the nearest tip. Perhaps you could explain
why my shredder was a waste of money?

The tumbler, however, I completely agree with you about.

--
"In Christianity neither morality nor religion come into contact with
reality at any point."

Old 02-02-2005, 01:53 PM
Mike Lyle

bigboard wrote:
Mike Lyle wrote:

It's just ridiculous. If it's small enough to turn by hand, it's

too
small to make compost. Put it in the same compartment as

shredders,
flame-throwers, and wormeries: just another way of separating the
innocent from their hard-earned. Gardening is a simple business,

and
those who do it on next to nothing can get better results than

those
who spend thousands. These sharks are just trying to cultivate the
idea that everything has to cost money before it'll work.

I have a small wormery that produces excellent compost and liquid
plant food, and takes all of my organic kitchen waste. It sits next
to the bin in my kitchen and was worth every penny. What have you

got
against them?

OK, different strokes for different folks, of course. But I don't see
the advantage over a plain old compost-heap.

Likewise, my shredder minces all my woody trimmings which can then

go
on the compost heap. My garden is not big enough to have a pile of
clippings, taking years to rot away, and I don't have a van,

trailer
or the inclination to drive miles to the nearest tip. Perhaps you
could explain why my shredder was a waste of money?

Last time I shot my mouth off about shredders, I was more careful. I
said something like "most people have gardens too small to justify
shredding woody material". Most things you can cut with a spade don't
need shredding before composting, and in a typical tiny garden there
won't be enough tougher stuff to warrant the cost and storage space
of the shredder -- it's simplest to burn or bin what woody stuff
there is, or take it to the Council's composting service if one can.
A barrow-load of hedge trimmings yields how much compost? and uses up
how much nitrogen on the way?

But if using a shredder suits your gardening, it's none of my
business: and I can see the satisfying side of it, too. I just don't
want people to go into it blindly -- you'll have noticed I'm a bit
hostile to B&Q "must-haves" and over-consumption of energy!

The tumbler, however, I completely agree with you about.

Good lad!

Mike.

Old 02-02-2005, 02:49 PM
bigboard

Mike Lyle wrote:

bigboard wrote:

I have a small wormery that produces excellent compost and liquid
plant food, and takes all of my organic kitchen waste. It sits next
to the bin in my kitchen and was worth every penny. What have you

got
against them?

OK, different strokes for different folks, of course. But I don't see
the advantage over a plain old compost-heap.

I have both. The wormery is in my nice warm kitchen, the compost heap is
ninety feet up the garden.

[...]

Strangely almost exactly the amount my lawn clippings provide!

But if using a shredder suits your gardening, it's none of my
business: and I can see the satisfying side of it, too. I just don't
want people to go into it blindly -- you'll have noticed I'm a bit
hostile to B&Q "must-haves" and over-consumption of energy!

Oh, I'm with you on that. My particular pet-hate is leaf blowers! I just
think that the shredder uses less energy than driving all the way to the
dump, which I would have to do more than once every time I cut my hedges.
Plus, I don't have to drive to the Garden Centre for compost.

The tumbler, however, I completely agree with you about.

Good lad!

Mike.

--
A free society is one where it is safe to be unpopular.
-- Adlai Stevenson

Old 02-02-2005, 04:55 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Franz Heymann wrote:
"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

Hear hear.

Franz

Old 02-02-2005, 04:55 PM
Franz Heymann

"bigboard" wrote in message
Mike Lyle wrote:

[snip]
I have a small wormery that produces excellent compost and liquid

plant
food, and takes all of my organic kitchen waste. It sits next to the

bin in
my kitchen and was worth every penny. What have you got against

them?

The fact that it takes six weeks to dispose of 1 week's kitchen waste.

[snip]

Franz

Old 02-02-2005, 05:55 PM
bigboard

Franz Heymann wrote:

"bigboard" wrote in message
Mike Lyle wrote:

[snip]
I have a small wormery that produces excellent compost and liquid

plant
food, and takes all of my organic kitchen waste. It sits next to the

bin in
my kitchen and was worth every penny. What have you got against

them?

The fact that it takes six weeks to dispose of 1 week's kitchen waste.

Then your wormery is too small for your needs. Mine suits me perfectly.

--
All science is either physics or stamp collecting.
-- E. Rutherford

Old 02-02-2005, 05:56 PM
bigboard

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:55:12 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Franz Heymann wrote:
"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

... said the man with the failed worm farm :-)

LOL! Franz was probably putting all the cats in he shoots. Wormeries were
never designed for cat disposal.

--
Excellent day for putting Slinkies on an escalator.

Compostumbler Tom C United Kingdom 3 08-11-2004 05:32 PM
ComposTumbler OhJeeez Edible Gardening 4 28-12-2003 07:33 PM