GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fish tank waste on compost heap? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/89412-fish-tank-waste-compost-heap.html)

Andrew 02-02-2005 04:13 PM

Fish tank waste on compost heap?

Wuld it be beneficial to my compost heap to add approx 20 to 30 litres of
fish tank water to my heap each week? (its not salt water, just good old
fish crap and bits of filter contents)

At the moment it goes down the sink, but if its useful I would like to make
use of it

Thanks

Andrew

Tumbleweed 02-02-2005 04:31 PM

"Andrew" wrote in message
Wuld it be beneficial to my compost heap to add approx 20 to 30 litres of
fish tank water to my heap each week? (its not salt water, just good old
fish crap and bits of filter contents)

At the moment it goes down the sink, but if its useful I would like to
make
use of it

Thanks

Andrew

It would be useful but would it be too much liquid? I just used to pour it
around plants in the garden.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Franz Heymann 02-02-2005 10:08 PM

"Andrew" wrote in message
Wuld it be beneficial to my compost heap to add approx 20 to 30

litres of
fish tank water to my heap each week? (its not salt water, just good

old
fish crap and bits of filter contents)

At the moment it goes down the sink, but if its useful I would like

to make
use of it

You are likely to end up with a very soggy heap.

Replacing water in a tropical freashwater tank is an overhyped
activity.
I once kept a 4' by 15" by 15" tank, kitted up with a good filter,
without any water changes for 2 years, just to see what would happen
The fish thrived.

Franz

Andrew 02-02-2005 10:56 PM

Thanks for the advice. I think I will put some of the water on, but not too
much. As for not cleaning out the tank for 2 years, I would have thought i
would end up with fish soup trying that!

Cheers

Andrew

Warwick 03-02-2005 12:35 AM

In article ,
says...
Thanks for the advice. I think I will put some of the water on, but not too
much. As for not cleaning out the tank for 2 years, I would have thought i
would end up with fish soup trying that!

You may want to add a bit more heat for that effect..and some capers.

Warwick

Franz Heymann 03-02-2005 09:21 AM

"Andrew" wrote in message
Thanks for the advice. I think I will put some of the water on, but

not too
much. As for not cleaning out the tank for 2 years, I would have

thought i
would end up with fish soup trying that!

The filter worked like a dream and kept the water bright. I did use a
"vacuum cleaner" to keep the bottom reasonably clean

Franz