Old 07-12-2002, 11:03 PM
Tumbleweed

Default Fast Growing Tree

"White" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

Can anyone offer me a fast growing tree which can grow up in cold climate?

Thank you very much

White

Cold as in ...Antarctica? Greenland? Norway? Scotland? Scilly Isles?

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)

Old 10-12-2002, 07:07 PM
DaveDay34

Hi,

Can anyone offer me a fast growing tree which can grow up in cold climate?

Thank you very much

White

Maybe you'd like to tell us a little more about the growing site, aspect, and
what you're going to require from your tree? That way we can probably give you
some reasonable advice about what trees might me suitable.

Dave.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:22 AM
Marcus Fox

"White" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

Can anyone offer me a fast growing tree which can grow up in cold climate?

Thank you very much

White

Cupressocyparis Leylandii, lol

Marcus

Old 12-12-2002, 01:53 AM
Robert E A Harvey

(White) wrote in message om...
Hi,

Can anyone offer me a fast growing tree which can grow up in cold climate?

Thank you very much

I have a field maple (Acer campestre)that is starting to slow down.
When it was younger it put on at least four feet per year, and has
grown from a tall bush to a specimen tree in less than 15 years. It
is home to a huge insect population in the summer, and the autumn
colours are wonderful. If the lower branches are trimmed it soon
adapts and restores it's basic shape higher up. It spreads well, and
provides a lot of dappled shade to full shade.

Only two snags: it hangs on for weeks before suddenly going golden all
of a rush, and invariably the wind gets up the next day and strips it,
so you have to be quick to enjoy the autumn colour. And there are
then a LOT of leaves to clear up (makes good leaf litter though).

http://www.ltl.org.uk/projects/trees/fieldmaple.html
http://www.offwell.free-online.co.uk...eld_maple.html
http://www.british-trees.com/guide/fieldmaple.htm

I'd also suggest the Wild Service tree, Sorbus torminalis, but it does
not grow as fast. It is a nice thing to look at though, big leaves.

young Horse Chestnuts put on height fairly rapidly, but take some time
to develop a good canopy. They slow down after about 10 years in some
soils.

Old 12-12-2002, 05:16 PM
BridgeP

You have taken the words right out of my mouth .

Peter Bridge
Old 14-12-2002, 06:16 PM
bnd777

Eucalyptus .......just wait till the roots get going though

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On 10 Dec 2002 03:34:04 -0800, (White) wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone offer me a fast growing tree which can grow up in cold

climate?

Thank you very much

Eucalyptus?
Cheers
Pam

Bristol

Old 15-12-2002, 09:09 PM

Pinus radiata is popular in South Devon-75ft tall and 26 inches diameter in
23 years.
Its worth having a look at a reference book on trees to see the ultimate
height over the years and decide vs. your lifetime and its location whether
the tree will be tolerable.
We inherited a garden with growing native trees about 20 years old, and I
regret that the previous owners did not give a lot of thought to the
ultimate size of lime, beech, field maple and pinus sylvestris amongst the
natives and imported cupressus leylandii and sycamore.
I don't like having to cut trees down.
"Robert E A Harvey" wrote in message
om...

http://www.offwell.free-online.co.uk...field_maple.ht