Old 12-12-2002, 09:32 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

Default Leylandii - Its days are numbered!

In message , Kay Easton
writes
In article , Chris French and Helen
Johnson writes

I haven't read it yet.

I've now had a bit of a read, though not in detail, my take on the
proposals is this:

snip
3. A high hedge is defined as two or more adjacent evergreen trees or
shrubs which form a barrier, of a height greater than 2 metres.

Two trees makes a hedge!!!

This is the law we are talking here - not real life.....

I can forsee a situation when two large Leylandii growing near a house
could block out a lot of light.

But evergreen, so the 15ft lilacs are OK :-)

Looks like it.

Does that mean my cypresses aren't a hedge, because there's a small
deciduous Viburnum between them, so they are not adjacent?

Adjacent does not have to mean adjoining.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 12-12-2002, 11:28 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Chris French and Helen
Johnson writes
In message , Kay Easton
writes
In article , Chris French and Helen
Johnson writes

I haven't read it yet.

I've now had a bit of a read, though not in detail, my take on the
proposals is this:

snip
3. A high hedge is defined as two or more adjacent evergreen trees or
shrubs which form a barrier, of a height greater than 2 metres.

Two trees makes a hedge!!!

This is the law we are talking here - not real life.....

True :-)

I can forsee a situation when two large Leylandii growing near a house
could block out a lot of light.

*One* large leylandii could block out a lot of light!

But evergreen, so the 15ft lilacs are OK :-)

Looks like it.

Does that mean my cypresses aren't a hedge, because there's a small
deciduous Viburnum between them, so they are not adjacent?

Adjacent does not have to mean adjoining.

'Thrown together', literally, isn't it, from the latin? Things can't be
adjacent if there is something else between them.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/
Old 13-12-2002, 12:58 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Kay Easton
writes

Does that mean my cypresses aren't a hedge, because there's a small
deciduous Viburnum between them, so they are not adjacent?

Adjacent does not have to mean adjoining.

'Thrown together', literally, isn't it, from the latin?

No idea.

Things can't be
adjacent if there is something else between them.

It is often taken to mean adjoining, but one of the dictionary meanings
of Adjacent is 'close to' , or 'Nearby'

(as in 'Adjacent cities' say)

I guess what is implied is that there is nothing the same in between.
Old 16-12-2002, 09:04 PM
Essjay001

Kay Easton scribbled:

Things can't
be adjacent if there is something else between them.

Sorry Kay, but yes they can!

Steve R

Old 18-12-2002, 02:21 AM
bnd777

If you actually look at the detail of the HH Bill you will find theres still
the ? of blocking light to neighbours garden and whats reasonable
That of course is going to be the ? council tree officers would have to
decide if the neighbours concerned were not able to reach a compromise by
other means including mediation

Good neighbours will discuss and even mediate
Real hedge bullies will never discuss or mediate and will actually be as
obstinate as possible