Old 10-12-2002, 05:22 PM
Drakanthus

Default Leylandii - Its days are numbered!

Looks like neighbours will have one thing less to fall out about soon...

According to the BBC news:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2557749.stm

--
Drakanthus.

( Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the
subject line or emails will never reach me.)

Old 10-12-2002, 07:10 PM
Steve Warren - UK Speedtrap Guide

Celebrate when they pass the law... but they are going to please so many
people if they do. Me for one.
Steve

--
"The UK SpeedTrap Guide"
http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk

Old 10-12-2002, 08:25 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Steve Warren - UK
Speedtrap Guide writes
Celebrate when they pass the law... but they are going to please so many
people if they do. Me for one.
Steve

Depends exactly what the law says, doesn't it? 'No hedges over 6ft'
would be bad news for those people, like me, who live next to large
unsightly public buildings, factories or car parks.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/
Old 10-12-2002, 08:50 PM
Steve Warren - UK Speedtrap Guide

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Steve Warren - UK
Speedtrap Guide writes
Celebrate when they pass the law... but they are going to please so many
people if they do. Me for one.
Steve

Depends exactly what the law says, doesn't it? 'No hedges over 6ft'
would be bad news for those people, like me, who live next to large
unsightly public buildings, factories or car parks.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/

I understand what you are saying but I would suspect you would not have a
problem. The unsightly public buildings, factories or car parks you live
next door to would they complain? Would it be fair to ask you to remove the
screen, I think not.

However I moved because of this and just as I thought I was safe, after
talking to everyone around us before we bought the new house someone in a
newer house down the valley puts up a row of Leylandii trees, several rows
at that. This will over time spoil our view of the valley, which was one of
the reasons we bought the house. I for one agree with the possible new law
as long as its fair, i.e. they take into account both parties, reasons why
etc. So in your case its fair to keep it as long as there is no risk of
damage to property and so on. But in my case, for example it would ruin and
very nice view across the valley which in turn may devalue our property
because of someone's lack of knowledge or selfish behaviour. So we should
have the right to maintain the view without some massive green mess spoiling
it.

Lets hope they use common sense, not easy for the Gov but you never know.

Catch 22!

Steve

Old 10-12-2002, 09:23 PM
ned

Steve Warren - UK Speedtrap Guide wrote:

snip
........ we should have the right to maintain the view without
some massive green mess spoiling it.

I can just see John Prescott saying that while objecting to a National
Park being planned next to his industrial estate. :-))

--
ned

Old 10-12-2002, 09:54 PM
bnd777

I believe its only hedges between neighbours that would be encompassed
........your situation is very different and a good reason to grow Leylandi
etc
"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Steve Warren - UK
Speedtrap Guide writes

Old 10-12-2002, 10:13 PM
david

" If it becomes law, a special force of hedge-busters are to be set loose on
any Leylandii that top two metres in height. "

Lets hope that it gets thrown out ......Whilst this sounds good just
think... it could soon be "Any" hedge over 2 m.. Then where do you measure
from? If you are on sloping ground is it high side or low side?
So what of those that require a good wind break? Etc Etc....

I am afraid that once you let the Town Hall loose then anything can happen,
and it probably will with the aid of the odd "Jobs worth" from the Council.
I feel that if there was a move to bring Hedges into the law regarding
Ancient Lights so that any hedge cutting out a substantial amount of light
adjacent to a building could have action taken to remove it, this would do a
lot to solve many of the problems.
I am not a lover of Leylandii, but I do feel that there is a place for it in
the right location, and as my reference says it is "unsurpassed for tall
screens, but generally to vigorous to be used as a hedge in a small garden".
But I am also not a lover of the never ending outpourings of new legislation
that we have to put up with.
It originates from several crosses of Cupressus macrocarpa x Chamaecyparis
nootkatensis, the first seedling was grown at Restrevor, Co. Down in 1870,
then 6 seedlings at Leighton Hall, Powys in 1888 then 2 more in 1911. Also
2 seedlings in Ferndown , Dorset in 1940.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 10-12-2002, 11:38 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , david
writes
" If it becomes law, a special force of hedge-busters are to be set loose on
any Leylandii that top two metres in height. "

Lets hope that it gets thrown out ......Whilst this sounds good just
think... it could soon be "Any" hedge over 2 m.. Then where do you measure
from? If you are on sloping ground is it high side or low side?

Decent drafting of the legislation would sort that sort of thing out.

So what of those that require a good wind break? Etc Etc....

The intended law isn't actually banning higher hedges. The intention is
for higher hedges to need planning permission. In the same way as high
fences need planning permission.

--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 11-12-2002, 01:01 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Chris French and Helen
Johnson writes

The intended law isn't actually banning higher hedges. The intention is
for higher hedges to need planning permission. In the same way as high
fences need planning permission.

Does that apply to new higher hedges or existing ones?

presumably an existing one should be OK, just as we don't start worrying
about breaches of planning regs by builders of earlier generations.

Old 11-12-2002, 01:21 AM
MC Emily

"Kay Easton" wrote

presumably an existing one should be OK, just as we don't start worrying
about breaches of planning regs by builders of earlier generations.

Just as well, otherwise our house would be condemmed immediately having been
built in 1470!!

Jaqy

Old 11-12-2002, 07:49 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Kay Easton
writes
In article , Chris French and Helen
Johnson writes

The intended law isn't actually banning higher hedges. The intention is
for higher hedges to need planning permission. In the same way as high
fences need planning permission.

Does that apply to new higher hedges or existing ones?

No idea, i'm just going on what I have read in papers, websites etc.
(and of course the bill hasn't even been introduced yet - let alone made
it's way through parliament)

presumably an existing one should be OK, just as we don't start worrying
about breaches of planning regs by builders of earlier generations.

That is they way it has been approached, but I can see an argument for
not applying this to hedges. However in that case I assume that it would
need someone to complain about a hedge first anyway.
Old 11-12-2002, 10:39 AM
Anne Middleton/Harold Walker

The Leylandii crops up so much I feel I "must chip" in with a comment......a
wonderful, wonderful tree....a neighbor just would not keep his garden
tidy...looking at his bluddy mess all the time was a pain in the
butt......Leylandii solved the problem....now he is complaining about the
loss of light and I am taking the same action as the neighbor did...nowt at
all and laughing about it...good old Leylandii, keep on growing and
growing.....fortunately we have no such laws........HW

Old 11-12-2002, 10:41 AM
Bob

[...]

You certainly should not have the right to maintain that view!

It's pretty unreasonable to expect the inhabitants of the valley to
behave in such a way as to preserve your view of them. When you
bought your house you did not buy the rights to the view, or the land
that it is made from.

Why should someone living a mile away have to concern themselves with
what you want?

Bob
Old 11-12-2002, 10:58 AM
PaulK

"Bob" wrote in message
om...
"Steve Warren - UK Speedtrap Guide" wrote in message

You certainly should not have the right to maintain that view!

It's pretty unreasonable to expect the inhabitants of the valley to
behave in such a way as to preserve your view of them. When you
bought your house you did not buy the rights to the view, or the land
that it is made from.

Why should someone living a mile away have to concern themselves with
what you want?

Interesting one:

TPO's are put on existing trees for their amenity value (the view?)
Walls and other structures are similarly controlled.

Yet not he planting of view destroying lines of Leylandii?

pk