Old 04-02-2005, 08:28 PM
Andrew

Default Too late to prune roses?

I was planning on leaving the pruning of the roses in my garden for a few
more weeks, but I notice they have quite a few shoots coming out of them now
all over, does that mean I've left it too late?

Thanks

Andrew

Old 04-02-2005, 08:45 PM
Robert

"Andrew" wrote in message
:I was planning on leaving the pruning of the roses in my garden for a few
: more weeks, but I notice they have quite a few shoots coming out of them
now
: all over, does that mean I've left it too late?
:
: Thanks
:
: Andrew

No you can do them into March and they'll be fine. Mine always shoot ahead
before the second pruning but seems like it's mild everywhere this winter

Old 05-02-2005, 07:51 PM
Franz Heymann

"Andrew" wrote in message
I was planning on leaving the pruning of the roses in my garden for

a few
more weeks, but I notice they have quite a few shoots coming out of

them now
all over, does that mean I've left it too late?

Not at all. I usually give mine their final prune early in April.
There is a good chance that this very early growth will be lost or
damaged if there is a severe frost in spring

Franz

Old 06-02-2005, 03:33 AM
Dwayne

I normally prune mine on Feb 15. I did it a little earlier than that this
year. The little shoots are what I use to tell me where to prune. I find
one pointing away from the center of the plant, and then prune just above
it. That will cause your rose to grow the direction of the sprout, leaving
the center of the plant open for air circulation, and less chance of black
spots on the leaves.

Dwayne

Old 07-02-2005, 11:24 AM
Registered User

Location: Manchester

On the question of pruning, one of my hybrid rose in a shelterd bed has kept a couple of leaves on each stem due to the mild winter. when i prune, should i leave these on, and if i do cut them off how far towards the stem should i cut

Old 07-02-2005, 05:51 PM
Robert

"Tiger303" wrote in message
:
: On the question of pruning, one of my hybrid rose in a shelterd bed has
: kept a couple of leaves on each stem due to the mild winter. when i
: prune, should i leave these on, and if i do cut them off how far
: towards the stem should i cut
:

If they're healthy leave them on for the same reason you should leave the
basal straggly growth, to help get some energy into the plant

Old 07-02-2005, 10:22 PM
Franz Heymann

"Tiger303" wrote in message

On the question of pruning, one of my hybrid rose in a shelterd bed

has
kept a couple of leaves on each stem due to the mild winter. when i
prune, should i leave these on, and if i do cut them off how far
towards the stem should i cut

Roses are very tolerant indeed. Just leave two or three bud-scars
below you cut if possible.
The old leaves will be quite useless compared to the new ones.

Franz