Old 12-12-2002, 10:53 PM

Default Pronunciation

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 20:37:52 +0000, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Sue & Bob Hobden
writes

Now try... Coelogyne :-)

That's the one my mother always called 'colly ogny'

Erm the accepted version appears to be:

See-loj-jin-knee with a slight emphasis on the first and last
syllable.

David Poole
TORQUAY UK
Old 12-12-2002, 11:09 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

--

All right then it's correctly Koy-lo-gin-ee (as it's Latin) but commonly
it's called

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 12-12-2002, 11:33 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Sue & Bob Hobden
writes

"Kay wrote in message

Now try... Coelogyne :-)

That's the one my mother always called 'colly ogny'
--

All right then it's correctly Koy-lo-gin-ee (as it's Latin)

But isn't coelacanth from the same root? And that's not Koylacanth.

I was always taught that oe was pronounced ee as in onomatopoeia

Though the vainy veedy veechy school would pronounce coeli as chayli

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/
Old 13-12-2002, 03:33 AM
Pam

Sue & Bob Hobden wrote:

"sacha" wrote in message after another Bob:

I've always pronounced "Ceanothus" as "Key-An-Oh-Thus", with the
emphasis on the "An". Is this correct, or am I completely wrong (does
it have a soft C for example).

kee-a-no-thus (a hard c, it's Latin )

Actually its Greek, from keanothus, meaning 'plant with spiny leaves'. Proper
pronunciation of the Greek would give you kee-a-no-thus, just as you indicate.
However, on the west coast of North America, the native habitat of the majority
of ceanothus species, and throughout the rest of North America, it is pronounced
see- a-no-thus. The convention for pronouncing botanical Latin in this country
is to pronounce the 'c' as soft when followed by the vowels e, i or y and hard
when followed by any other letter.

Pronunciation of plant names tends to be very regional in approach - as long as
one is understood when talking about the plant, it really makes no difference
one way or another. You cannot imagine the garbled plant names one hears working
at a retail nursery - sometimes it is nearly impossible to distinguish to what
plant they are referring and other times the result is just plain funny. I often
recall the older lady asking for "penis neegra". However, it is NOT considered
good form to laugh at the customers :-))

pam - gardengal

My neighbour pronounces "Cotoneaster" as "Cott-On-Ee-Aster" (Emphasis
on the "Ee") whereas I have always thought of it as if it were the two
words "Cotton-Easter" - is he right and me wrong again? :-)

ko-ton-ee-a-ster.

. Take Kniphofia. We
pronounce it "Niphoffia" but friends of ours pronounce it "Nyefofia"

nee-fof-ee-a

- I say
CLEMatis and Ray says CleMAYtis -

klem-a-tis

we say Daylia, friends say Dalia

dah-lee-a

all from The Collingridge Dictionary of Plant Names written by Allen.J
.Coombes ex Head of Latin at Eton. He's sorted out many a dispute in our
household. :-)

He says in his introduction that it all depends on where the name came from,
i.e. if it's from a town, person etc then it's pronounced that way if it's
from the Latin then it should be pronounced the Latin way, i.e. all "C's"
are hard as in cat.

Now try... Coelogyne :-) (p.s. it's an Orchid family)

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.

Old 13-12-2002, 05:31 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Sue & Bob Hobden
writes

"Kay wrote in message

Now try... Coelogyne :-)

That's the one my mother always called 'colly ogny'
--

All right then it's correctly Koy-lo-gin-ee (as it's Latin) but commonly
it's called
see-lo-gie-nee. :-)
Pronounced it wrongly for years until an Orchid nurseryman out Greenham
Common way (Thatched Lodge Orchids*) told be otherwise.
*sadly long gone.

A neighbouring gardener of ours was having some skin problems from
plants and was prescribed an ointment called 'Cicatrin' (Wellcome).
The ointment works very well, but how is its name pronounced?
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 13-12-2002, 07:21 AM
Vera Gade

snip
A neighbouring gardener of ours was having some skin problems from
plants and was prescribed an ointment called 'Cicatrin' (Wellcome).
The ointment works very well, but how is its name pronounced?
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

I am very keen on the phonetic-transcription-system (how would I ever else
learn how to pronounce "neighbouring"?) But unfortunately it isn't on my
computer and neither on yours, I think. So we try to manage as best we can
- that's very confusing. I beg for a FAC on the topic, where some able
person will try to make a system we all (hm, most of us) can adopt in our
efforts to describe our pronounciation.
Hej (e as in hel) from vera

--
VERA GADE NORRKOPING
VERA @GADE.SE
Old 13-12-2002, 05:54 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Alan Gould contains these words:

A neighbouring gardener of ours was having some skin problems from
plants and was prescribed an ointment called 'Cicatrin' (Wellcome).
The ointment works very well, but how is its name pronounced?

Siccatrin....according to my last GP. Good stuff :-)

In English, C followed by I or E is soft (cinder, certain). C
followed by O, A and U is hard as in condor, curtain, and cup.

Janet.
Old 13-12-2002, 07:26 PM
nicky

"Pam" wrote in message

Sue & Bob Hobden wrote:

[...]

I always knew it to be see-a-no-thus as well and everyone else I know round
these here parts (Kingston, Surrey) calls it that. I would guess that none
of us studied Latin though which would explain the mispronunciation you
live and learn

Nicky

Old 13-12-2002, 08:37 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from Alan Gould contains these words:

A neighbouring gardener of ours was having some skin problems from
plants and was prescribed an ointment called 'Cicatrin' (Wellcome).
The ointment works very well, but how is its name pronounced?

Siccatrin....according to my last GP. Good stuff :-)

Having checked Chambers, the word seems to be based on cicatrice - pron.
sik-a tris, which is a scar tissue over a healed wound. Very apt!

In English, C followed by I or E is soft (cinder, certain).

Except for cinema, sometimes pron. kinema, and Celt - kelt.
followed by O, A and U is hard as in condor, curtain, and cup.

--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

What's the correct pronunciation of "Cecil Brunner"? Gail Futoran Roses 3 03-06-2009 06:20 AM
Pronunciation Farm1 United Kingdom 73 09-12-2006 07:21 PM
Pronunciation of Ceologyne Traveler Orchids 1 11-12-2003 05:09 PM