GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Broad Beans (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/89536-broad-beans.html)

peter.donovan 06-02-2005 07:57 PM

Broad Beans

Hi All,
I tried sowing The overwitering variety Broad Bean in my green house
transplanted the plants up my allotment using plastic sheeting with
holes which the plants were planted.These plants have gone a bit leggy
over the winter especially due to the high winds that we have had
recently.When at the allotment today I noticed that some of these beans
were in flower. I put some pea netting for support to make sure the
plants were not escaping the plastic they are about 2 foot high now
leggy as I said any advice as to what I should be aware of to look after
these very early bean should I use my tunnel cloches or will this
prevent pollination

Pam Moore 07-02-2005 03:01 PM

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 06:20:45 +0000, Alan Gould
wrote:

Your over kind management and the mildness of this winter have caused
the plants to become leggy. Give each plant a stake for support and only
continue cloche protection if the weather is really hard. You may not
see beans from the present flowers, but further new ones should appear
and give you a good crop.

Just a thought, but could Peter cut down the leggy broad beans to
leave just one or two buds at the base, and let these grow on? I tried
it once when mine got too leggy from being in a tray at home too long.
Can't remember the result!
It might be worth trying with some of them and using Alan's idea for
the rest.
My problem is I have not even planted my broad beans yet, and am not
sure when I'll be able to.
Question; When is the latest they can be planted? I know I'll lose the
second use of the plot but don't want to miss out altogether.

Pam in Bristol

Nick Maclaren 07-02-2005 03:05 PM

In article ,
Pam Moore writes:

| My problem is I have not even planted my broad beans yet, and am not
| sure when I'll be able to.
| Question; When is the latest they can be planted? I know I'll lose the
| second use of the plot but don't want to miss out altogether.

May? June? If there is a cool, damp summer (surely not!), you won't
have a problem. You will be able to get some things in thereafter,
but only quick items like hardy and fast-growing salads.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Alan Gould 07-02-2005 06:41 PM

In article , Pam Moore
writes
Question; When is the latest they can be planted? I know I'll lose the
second use of the plot but don't want to miss out altogether.

Good question. My hunch is that they would grow and produce from being
sown in any month of the year. Growing time would vary, as would the
crop, and they would probably be more prone to black-fly in summertime.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.