GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hollies - here we go again (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/8958-hollies-here-we-go-again.html)

trevor.appleton 11-12-2002 09:20 PM

Hollies - here we go again

Sorry to repeat myself but I had this moan this time last year.

Every year at this time the gardening press do features on hollies and evry
single time they show yellow berried hollies.

Well I've been trying to get one for FIVE years. This spring I even
purchased a very pathetic sick looking 'Baccaflava' from a York nursery,
confident my 'greenfingers' would nurse it back to heal;th, but it died on
me.

Where o where are the Fructo Luteo and Baccaflavas?

---

Kay Easton 12-12-2002 08:44 PM

Hollies - here we go again

In article , trevor.appleton
writes
Sorry to repeat myself but I had this moan this time last year.

Every year at this time the gardening press do features on hollies and evry
single time they show yellow berried hollies.

Well I've been trying to get one for FIVE years. This spring I even
purchased a very pathetic sick looking 'Baccaflava' from a York nursery,
confident my 'greenfingers' would nurse it back to heal;th, but it died on
me.

Where o where are the Fructo Luteo and Baccaflavas?

Have you tried High Trees on the Otley Old Road just N of Leeds - they
usually have a good range of hollies.

Alternatively, if you think they'd come true from seed, I'll drop a few
yellow berries in the post for you ;-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/

DaveDay34 12-12-2002 08:46 PM

Hollies - here we go again

Tell us all where you are and someone near you might be able to help.

Dave.

cormaic 12-12-2002 09:20 PM

Hollies - here we go again

'Twas Wed, 11 Dec 2002 21:20:34 -0000, when "trevor.appleton"
enriched all our lives with
these worthy thoughts:

Every year at this time the gardening press do features on hollies and evry
single time they show yellow berried hollies.

I'm sure they had one at Robin Bent's in Glazebury last week.
If I get mugged into going again this weekend, I'll have a look and
let you know.

--
cormaic URG faqs/webring - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/
Culcheth Garden - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/garden/

cormaic CAN BE FOUND AT borlochshall.co.uk

trevor.appleton 12-12-2002 10:07 PM

Hollies - here we go again

I'm in East Yorkshire - Beverley/Driffield

Will be in the St Helens area after Christmas

Trevor

Stephen Howard 13-12-2002 12:20 PM

Hollies - here we go again

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 21:20:34 -0000, "trevor.appleton"
wrote:

Sorry to repeat myself but I had this moan this time last year.

Every year at this time the gardening press do features on hollies and evry
single time they show yellow berried hollies.

Well I've been trying to get one for FIVE years. This spring I even
purchased a very pathetic sick looking 'Baccaflava' from a York nursery,
confident my 'greenfingers' would nurse it back to heal;th, but it died on
me.

Where o where are the Fructo Luteo and Baccaflavas?

There's a splendid one in fully 'berry' just along from my
workshop....I've been meaning to take cutting from it for years.

Incidentally, I was at a nursery the other day ( persuading the man to
let me dig up my own Christmas tree rather than opting for the
sawn-off jobby ) and I mentioned making my own wreath using these
yellow berries.
He told me that his mother used to forbid him bringing the yellow
berried holly indoors on account of it being "Devil's Holly".

Anyone else heard of this quaint superstition?

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk