GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Propagating bougainvillea. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/89658-propagating-bougainvillea.html)

Peter Jason 10-02-2005 03:15 AM

Propagating bougainvillea.

I need to know how to propagate cuttings of bougainvillea. I have several
coloured varieties: violet, red, red/orange, white, golden yellow and
orange.

Can someone help me with the name of a suitable rooting powder, and what &
when type of cuttings to take?

Regards, Frank

Charlie Pridham 12-02-2005 09:01 AM

"Peter Jason" wrote in message
Many thanks. Why do the cuttings have to be so long? Is it because such a
size will have more food reserves?

Yes, you can get away with shorter in a mist unit but longer works better in
a cold frame.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Peter Jason 14-02-2005 03:07 AM

Thanks, I will have to contrive some form of heat-controlled humidifier. We
have an oven for incubating at 25 - 37degC and the humidity can be raised
with wet towelling, but I suppose then some form of lighting will be
required. Is there a reference with a glossary with terms such as
'cold-frame' and 'mist-unit' etc?