GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Eye Colours... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/89667-eye-colours.html)

Martin Sykes 10-02-2005 10:20 AM

Eye Colours...

I found this page which explains it quite well and accounts for green eyes. A lot of pages say the simple Mendelian blue/brown gene version doesn't actually work.

This version works better:
http://www.thetech.org/genetics/ask.php?id=59

But I also found this explanation:

As we learned more about genetics and cell chemistry, it was determined that melanin, a brown pigment, is controlled by the brown-blue gene on chromosome 15 and the green-blue gene on chromosome 19. The new and improved genetic model still doesn't work all that perfectly and, in fact, science has discovered at least one more color-determining gene, another brown-type also located on chromosome 15. Recently, science has found a brownish yellow pigment, lipofuscin, also called lipochrome that appears in amber, green and violet irises. And there's likely at least one other gene, not yet located, that plays a role in iris color.

So not actually very simple. Based on the first site, Anna is blue, I'm green and Ellie is blue and probably won't change now. That means Anna is bb/bb and Ellie is bb/bb which means Ellie got a blue from me as well which means I'm bb/Gb

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Martin Sykes 10-02-2005 10:21 AM

Oops. posted it to the newsgroup instead of my brother in law...

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Tracey 11-02-2005 10:17 PM

"p00kie" wrote in message
.uk...
I've green eyes though!

Mother - Green
Father - Blue

Me too! Mum had green, Dad has blue!

Douglas[_1_] 12-02-2005 12:18 AM

[quote=p00kie]I've green eyes though!

Mother - Green
Father - Blue

I have blue eyes (and blonde hair)

Mother, Father, Brother and Sister - brown (with dark to red brown hair).

I seem to be geneticly different from the rest of them when they were looking for a bone marrow transplant for me.
There is something about me which is apparently rare.

.......Always suspected I was adopted ;)