GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Turning concrete and clay into green things! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/89674-turning-concrete-clay-into-green-things.html)

someone else 10-02-2005 02:11 PM

Turning concrete and clay into green things!

Until recently I had an area at the back of my garden which used to be
a patio but which I would prefer to be vegetables. So I have duly
removed the concrete and hardcore and am now left with a compacted
clay subsoil which I want to get back to life.

This is a serious clay so it it very compacted and very effective at
getting waterlogged but from what I have read clay although hard to
work should be fertile. So far I have double dug the ground and added
sharp sand (about 50 - 100 Kg / sq.m) and composted manure (about 200
l / sq.m). What else should I do to get this to something that I can
grow on

JB

Mike Lyle 10-02-2005 04:00 PM

someone else wrote:
Until recently I had an area at the back of my garden which used to

be
a patio but which I would prefer to be vegetables. So I have duly
removed the concrete and hardcore and am now left with a compacted
clay subsoil which I want to get back to life.

This is a serious clay so it it very compacted and very effective

at
getting waterlogged but from what I have read clay although hard to
work should be fertile. So far I have double dug the ground and

added
sharp sand (about 50 - 100 Kg / sq.m) and composted manure (about

200
l / sq.m). What else should I do to get this to something that I

can
grow on

Wow! that's quite a lot of sharp sand!

As long as it gets sunlight, and isn't a "sink" for surface water, it
sounds to me as though it'll now go like a bomb.

The composted muck probably won't have much actual plant-food in it,
though, so you could prick in some balanced fertiliser, organic or
not according to taste.

You may also need lime, but I'd wait to see how it goes first.

If, after all your impressively devoted attention, it's still a bit
cloddy, you may need to make strips of finer structure for sowing
seeds direct. Shouldn't be a problem for transplants, though. It's a
great thrill doing a new patch, isn't it?

Mike.

Steve Harris 11-02-2005 12:19 PM

In article ,
(someone else) wrote:

So far I have double dug the ground and added
sharp sand (about 50 - 100 Kg / sq.m) and composted manure (about 200
l / sq.m). What else should I do to get this to something that I can
grow on

When did you do this? If it was October, sow/plant stuff according to
the book/packet. If it was last week, it may not be ready for stuff you
could sow now like radish or early turnips. I would risk some broad
beans.

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/

someone else 11-02-2005 01:40 PM

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 12:19 +0000 (GMT), (Steve
Harris) wrote:

So far I have double dug the ground and added
sharp sand (about 50 - 100 Kg / sq.m) and composted manure (about 200
l / sq.m). What else should I do to get this to something that I can
grow on

When did you do this? If it was October, sow/plant stuff according to
the book/packet. If it was last week, it may not be ready for stuff you
could sow now like radish or early turnips. I would risk some broad
beans.

Not last week but the week before ;-) I wasn't planning broad beans
but rather french and runner which I presume will have the same
effect?

JB

Steve Harris 11-02-2005 05:37 PM

In article ,
(someone else) wrote:

I wasn't planning broad beans
but rather french and runner which I presume will have the same
effect?

Generally, large seeds are more tolerant of lumpy inhomogeneous soil, so
yes. A particular advantage of Broad Beans is that you can sow them now
and be eating by June. The other beans involve having the soil bare
until May/June and not eating until July/August.

Broadback 11-02-2005 06:47 PM

Steve Harris wrote:

In article ,
(someone else) wrote:

I wasn't planning broad beans
but rather french and runner which I presume will have the same
effect?

Generally, large seeds are more tolerant of lumpy inhomogeneous soil, so
yes. A particular advantage of Broad Beans is that you can sow them now
and be eating by June. The other beans involve having the soil bare
until May/June and not eating until July/August.

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/

Also they taste different, though I love them all.

Franz Heymann 12-02-2005 06:17 PM

"someone else" wrote in message
Until recently I had an area at the back of my garden which used to

be
a patio but which I would prefer to be vegetables. So I have duly
removed the concrete and hardcore and am now left with a compacted
clay subsoil which I want to get back to life.

This is a serious clay so it it very compacted and very effective at
getting waterlogged but from what I have read clay although hard to
work should be fertile. So far I have double dug the ground and

added
sharp sand (about 50 - 100 Kg / sq.m) and composted manure (about

200
l / sq.m). What else should I do to get this to something that I can
grow on

Insert some seeds or plants in the spring.

Franz