Old 12-12-2002, 09:05 PM
MC Emily

Default OT Laying hens petition

Hi

Please excuse this OT post. I know some of you here keep livestock,
poultry, pets etc or are just interested in animal welfare. If you have a
minute to spare, please can you sign the RSPCA petition to ban all cages for
laying hens by 2007, as opposed to the year 2012 that the government has
agreed to. You can access the petition form at

http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Cont...mpaigns/eggs/e
ggshomepage

Thank you.

Jaqy

Old 12-12-2002, 09:33 PM
Mary Fisher

"MC Emily" wrote in message
Hi

Please excuse this OT post. I know some of you here keep livestock,
poultry, pets etc or are just interested in animal welfare. If you have a
minute to spare, please can you sign the RSPCA petition to ban all cages

for
laying hens by 2007, as opposed to the year 2012 that the government has
agreed to.

Done. But I have little hope ...

The attitudes of supermarkets is interesting. Why not post this to
uk.food+drink.misc.

Mary

Old 12-12-2002, 09:42 PM
MC Emily

"Mary Fisher" wrote

Done. But I have little hope ...

Well, me too, but if we don't try.....

The attitudes of supermarkets is interesting. Why not post this to
uk.food+drink.misc.

Well, I only posted it here because I have contributed to the group. I
wouldn't like to just barge into a group with something like this. However,
if you're a regular there, you could post it )

Jaqy

Old 12-12-2002, 09:49 PM
MC Emily

Try this link to the same place

http://makeashorterlink.com/?C159420C2

Thank you,
Jaqy

Old 12-12-2002, 11:31 PM
Mary Fisher

"MC Emily" wrote in message

The attitudes of supermarkets is interesting. Why not post this to
uk.food+drink.misc.

Well, I only posted it here because I have contributed to the group. I
wouldn't like to just barge into a group with something like this.

However,
if you're a regular there, you could post it )

OK, have done. Didn't check the link though, hope it works (the second one).

Mary

Jaqy

Old 13-12-2002, 07:25 PM
Ken Riley

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 21:05:48 -0000, "MC Emily"
wrote:

Hi

Please excuse this OT post. I know some of you here keep livestock,
poultry, pets etc or are just interested in animal welfare. If you have a
minute to spare, please can you sign the RSPCA petition to ban all cages for
laying hens by 2007, as opposed to the year 2012 that the government has
agreed to. You can access the petition form at

http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Cont...mpaigns/eggs/e
ggshomepage

Thank you.

Jaqy

Will do. It would be a good idea if egg suppliers were made to put
statements like "These eggs are from battery hens" on their egg boxes
instead of "Farm Fresh" and "Natural" and meaningless tosh like that.

Joan in Bramhall (Cheshire)

Old 13-12-2002, 08:49 PM
MC Emily

"Ken Riley" wrote

Will do. It would be a good idea if egg suppliers were made to put
statements like "These eggs are from battery hens" on their egg boxes
instead of "Farm Fresh" and "Natural" and meaningless tosh like that.

Joan in Bramhall (Cheshire)

Absolutely!! Thank you for signing the petition.

Jaqy

Old 13-12-2002, 08:53 PM
Howard Neil

Will do. It would be a good idea if egg suppliers were made to put
statements like "These eggs are from battery hens" on their egg boxes
instead of "Farm Fresh" and "Natural" and meaningless tosh like that.

Joan in Bramhall (Cheshire)

I agree.

I would also like terms such as "freerange" to be defined in the way that
the average person perceives it. Currently the definition is:

Free range eggs:

Ø hens must have continuous daytime access to open air runs

Ø the ground to which hens have access is mainly covered with
vegetation

Ø the maximum stocking density is not greater than 1,000 hens/hectare
of ground available to the hens, or one hen/10 sq.m

Ø the interior of the building must satisfy the conditions specified
for deep litter or perchery eggs

The main problem I have with the above relates to the ground available to
each hen. Since chickens eat insects, small mammals (I have witnessed more
than one chicken eat the odd mole), etc., 10 sq.m. is just not enough area
for each chicken. For most people, the term freerange means that the chicken
has ample area to support itself in food.

Regards

Howard Neil

Old 13-12-2002, 09:15 PM
sjb

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 19:25:28 +0000 (UTC), Ken Riley
wrote:

Will do. It would be a good idea if egg suppliers were made to put
statements like "These eggs are from battery hens" on their egg boxes
instead of "Farm Fresh" and "Natural" and meaningless tosh like that.

I think one of the main problems is lack of labelling on foods that
contain eggs, as the RSPCA's recent campaign makes clear. I eat far
more egg as an ingredient of prepared foods than I do out of boxes
marked "Free-Range".
--
stuart
is at news\at/boxatrix\dot/co\dot/uk
Old 13-12-2002, 09:34 PM
Mary Fisher

"Howard Neil" h.neil@whichREMOVE TO REPLY.net wrote in message

I would also like terms such as "freerange" to be defined in the way that
the average person perceives it. Currently the definition is:

Free range eggs:

Ø the maximum stocking density is not greater than 1,000

hens/hectare
of ground available to the hens, or one hen/10 sq.m

The main problem I have with the above relates to the ground available to
each hen. Since chickens eat insects, small mammals (I have witnessed more
than one chicken eat the odd mole), etc., 10 sq.m. is just not enough area
for each chicken.

That's absolutely true (I've seen our hens eating mice). But even the
vegetation on such an area won't last long either, even with added greenery
given the hens will make their 10 sq m bald in no time.

For most people, the term freerange means that the chicken
has ample area to support itself in food.

Yes.

Mary

Regards

Howard Neil