Old 17-12-2002, 06:01 PM
Michael Berridge

Default Well done the Beeb!

sacha wrote in message ...

Didn't you love the bit at the end when she said "Did you call

'action'?" as
she stumped off down the path? ;-))
--
Sacha

I just loved the way she interacted with the camera crew, suggesting
better perspectives etc telling them just how to film a particular
plant. She is such a natural., and what a wonderful garden, particularly
as they have produced it just basically using the leaf mould from the
trees as a mulch which eventually becomes the soil.
The display of azaleas and rhodies was great, and she was obviously so
proud of the garden, and very keen to show the best parts.
Congratulations to Joe Swift for basically keeping out of the way and
acting as an assistant instead of taking the programme over.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 17-12-2002, 06:02 PM
trevor.appleton

....that thought did occur to me at the time!

---

Old 17-12-2002, 06:05 PM
trevor.appleton

.. I watched it as others did,but I could not see the point of employing
two gardeners to collect all the fallen leaves to compost and then
return to place them under the same trees that they had been collected
from in the first place.
If they had been left alone as nature intended they would have turned
to compost by themselves.

I have to agree with that. I simply rake them off the lawns and over the
base of shrubs such as fuchias to afford some protection. Its amazing how
the leaves get pulled under ground. Yor can see them half sticking out of
the ground, but give them a tug and their firmly attached to the soil.

(never could spell fucha!)

Even if they'd been blown all over the garden first? ;-)
The compost bins kept them in one place and the heat generated by a
composting heap would have accelerated their breakdown, I expect. And I
don't think that was the two gardeners *only* occupation!

This could mean that the gardeners would have to work every day even
though they were part time to obviate the leaves from blowing all over
the place.
In my experience leaves tend to accumulate in areas where the wind
blows them,so leaving them to blow all over the place is not quite
accurate,and probably not a bad idea.
I would also dispute that heat is caused by anerobic composting as
oxygen is not present therefore heat is not an issue.
I would agree that patio,concrete and compact area could be
cleansed,but if you want to try an experiment,providing your garden is
fertile enough to support worms,then next year try leaving an area of
soil with fallen leaves and see how many days or even hours it takes
the worms to start pulling them into the top soil.
You might be amazed at what you discover,because once the leaves are
pulled even a little way they never blow away and by the spring most
will have vanished under the soil.

---

Old 18-12-2002, 02:08 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 18:05:01 -0000, "trevor.appleton"
wrote:

(never could spell fucha!)

It's *really* easy. Ignore the pronunciamentation "fyewshyah" and
focus on (egad!, the mind, she boggleth) the spelling.

It's the German surname "Fuchs" (as in Marshal Fuchs) with a
latinizing suffix "-ia". That's all. Fuchs-ia. Think
"Fook-see-ah".

(Or if you are Scottish, think "Fooch-see-ah".)

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Old 20-12-2002, 10:32 PM
trevor.appleton

help to remember that they are in normal alphabetical order. It works
for me!

I'll give it a go!

---