GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Crocus flop disease? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/89738-crocus-flop-disease.html)

Steve Harris 12-02-2005 04:56 PM

Crocus flop disease?

I put in some crocuses last autumn. The leaves have shot up over the
last few weeks followed by about 5" of white stem with a flower on top.
But the flower only gets to about 1/3 open before the stem topples over
:-(

This is sandy, well drained slightly alkaline soil. The site is well
sheltered and there has been little frost.

What is it and how do I fix it?

Thanks!

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/

Charlie Pridham 12-02-2005 05:26 PM

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
I put in some crocuses last autumn. The leaves have shot up over the
last few weeks followed by about 5" of white stem with a flower on top.
But the flower only gets to about 1/3 open before the stem topples over
:-(

This is sandy, well drained slightly alkaline soil. The site is well
sheltered and there has been little frost.

What is it and how do I fix it?

Thanks!

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/

Possible not deep enough or maybe you used the large hybrid crocus which are
quite tall they will probably sort themselves out, as bulbs and corms often
pull themselves down to the correct depth over time.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Steve Harris 14-02-2005 11:49 AM

In article ,
(Charlie Pridham) wrote:

Possible not deep enough or maybe you used the large hybrid crocus
which are quite tall they will probably sort themselves out, as bulbs
and corms often pull themselves down to the correct depth over time.

Yes, it was a large hybrid planted about 2" deep. What is the correct
depth. I can easily add a few more inches to the soil depth before next
year. Should I? When?

Mike Lyle 14-02-2005 03:12 PM

Steve Harris wrote:
In article ,
(Charlie Pridham) wrote:

Possible not deep enough or maybe you used the large hybrid crocus
which are quite tall they will probably sort themselves out, as

bulbs
and corms often pull themselves down to the correct depth over

time.

Yes, it was a large hybrid planted about 2" deep. What is the

correct
depth. I can easily add a few more inches to the soil depth before
next year. Should I? When?

I'd say 4" for the big ones. I wouldn't add soil till the leaves are
dying down, as they need to build up nourishment from sunlight.

Mike.