Old 16-12-2002, 11:08 AM
Niall

Default Climbers for Architecturalgarden

Hi all

Its been a while since I graced these pages..

My garden has been landscaped with my
beloved plastered block planters and plant choice
is now on my agenda.

As you can imagine the garden look is a minimilist
green garden with lights and sculptural elements
making good use of the varying stone colours etc etc
(Diarmuid Gavin on a calm day ;~)

Anyway as the header implies I am wondering about climbers
The garden is trellised on all sides and will get climbers

Which climbers will compliment my garden style?
(East-care always a good thing!)

Regards and Season Greetings

Niall
Ireland

Niall

Old 16-12-2002, 06:58 PM
JennyC

"Niall" wrote
Hi all

Its been a while since I graced these pages..

Welcome back :~)

My garden has been landscaped with my
beloved plastered block planters and plant choice
is now on my agenda.

As you can imagine the garden look is a minimilist
green garden with lights and sculptural elements
making good use of the varying stone colours etc etc
(Diarmuid Gavin on a calm day ;~)

Anyway as the header implies I am wondering about climbers
The garden is trellised on all sides and will get climbers

Which climbers will compliment my garden style?
(East-care always a good thing!)
Regards and Season Greetings
Niall

I'm inclined to say that climbers and architectural don't really go
together.
Most climbers are 'messy'.

However, what about a Aristolochia - huge green leaves and interesting
architectural 'flowers'.

Jenny

Old 16-12-2002, 08:19 PM
Vera Gade

In article , "JennyC"
wrote:

[...]

Hej - Nick Mac Laren gave some good plantnames in his answer to my posting
about a 200 squaremeter garden with trellis. I did look in at Arne
Jacobsen's famous garden in Klampenborg Denmark - truly "architectural"-
and he too had Akebia quinata (I will try that one even if here is colder
than Denmark) and Lonicera - here tragophylla. he made splendid use of
climbers in his architectur; I remember specially his gardens around S:t
Catherines College in Oxford. He also used Aristolochia and Hedera and
Viburnum rhytidophyllum - (can be trained in a pure northen aspect). Of
course everything *has* to be trained, not to be "messy" as Jenny says.
But that shouldn't cause no problem.Another: Cotoneaster salicifolia. Very
nice viry stems. My problem was more about how to blend roses and clematis
to it's very best. I have no north-side, but I think you must have, Niall?
Greetings for Christmas from Vera

--
VERA GADE NORRKOPING
VERA @GADE.SE
Old 16-12-2002, 08:28 PM
PaulK

"Niall" wrote in message
Hi all

Its been a while since I graced these pages..

My garden has been landscaped with my
beloved plastered block planters and plant choice
is now on my agenda.

As you can imagine the garden look is a minimilist
green garden with lights and sculptural elements
making good use of the varying stone colours etc etc
(Diarmuid Gavin on a calm day ;~)

Anyway as the header implies I am wondering about climbers
The garden is trellised on all sides and will get climbers

Which climbers will compliment my garden style?
(East-care always a good thing!)

I'd go for:

Big leaves: Actinidia klometica or chinensis or Vitis coignetiae

Strong structu Cononeaster horizontalis

Tropical look: Clematis armandii

Structural: Pyracantha trained with a single vertical stem and widely spaced
horizontal on wires. Clipped regularly to keep it very tight.

Eye catching: Very large flowered clematis - ideally white with a light
positioned to pick it out at night.

PK

Old 16-12-2002, 09:29 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Niall" wrote in message
Hi all

Its been a while since I graced these pages..

My garden has been landscaped with my
beloved plastered block planters and plant choice
is now on my agenda.

As you can imagine the garden look is a minimilist
green garden with lights and sculptural elements
making good use of the varying stone colours etc etc
(Diarmuid Gavin on a calm day ;~)

Anyway as the header implies I am wondering about climbers
The garden is trellised on all sides and will get climbers

Which climbers will compliment my garden style?
(East-care always a good thing!)

Regards and Season Greetings

Niall
Ireland

Niall

If its foliage you are looking for some good evergreens are Pileostegia
viburnoides, Trachelospermum especially jasminoides and Holboelia especially
latifolia (Stautonia is also very good). All flower as well but it sounded
as if foliage was important
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 17-12-2002, 09:54 AM
Niall

Hi all

Many thanks for the replies

Now to get my hands on an RHS

I'll let you know what I choose

PS I should have said Easy Care not "East-Care" ooops

Kind Regards

Niall
Ireland

Old 17-12-2002, 05:17 PM
Kay Easton

In article , PaulK
writes
I'd go for:

Big leaves: Actinidia klometica or chinensis or Vitis coignetiae

And while we're on the subject - how do you pronounce 'coignetiae'?

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/

climbers heidi Roses 3 30-03-2003 02:32 AM
Climbers Jeanne Stockdale United Kingdom 2 10-03-2003 09:33 PM
Climbers on Fence Jack United Kingdom 5 09-02-2003 02:37 PM
Red & White Climbers climbing iceberg Radika Kesavan Roses 1 27-01-2003 10:09 AM
child friendly climbers ellio United Kingdom 8 22-11-2002 06:11 PM