Old 16-02-2005, 04:45 PM
Mike

Default Vermin Cats

The owners and regular readers of this newsgroup should by now know my
dislike for the above vermin and will be very interested to know that a Cat
and Dog Repeller we have just put into use, seems to be working very well.

Called the Cat and Dog Repelleer, it works off 2 x 9 volt batteries and is a
small and very portable unit and is easy to hide. It is made by STV
International Ltd 2002 at Little Cressingham in Norfolk

Gives a pulse of ultrasonic wave at a frequency range of 18k.hertz to 24
k.hertz, the lower part of the spectrum 'just' being audible.

So far so good. We will keep you informed

Mike

:-))

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Lanc Bomber Fly Past

Old 16-02-2005, 05:38 PM
Martin Sykes

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Does it seem to be affecting anything else? I'd like to discourage the cats
but don't want to upset the hedgehogs, bats or birds.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 16-02-2005, 05:58 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Mike" writes:

| It says "Cats, Dogs and Foxes" (We have had the latter as well) The box says
| that the other animals and birds are not affected. We have certainly had
| birds here and that is one reason we wanted the vermin kept out :-))

I smear the gateposts with snake oil, myself.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-02-2005, 06:13 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Mike" writes:

It says "Cats, Dogs and Foxes" (We have had the latter as well)

The
box says that the other animals and birds are not affected. We

have
certainly had birds here and that is one reason we wanted the
vermin kept out :-))

I smear the gateposts with snake oil, myself.

Funny you should mention that, Nick. Wonderful stuff. Cleanses the
blood of harmful toxins and restores the natural balance, too. It
happens that I've just taken delivery of a large quantity: I'd be
glad to let fellow-urglers have some at cost plus post and packing.

Mike.

Old 16-02-2005, 06:27 PM
Mike

Does it seem to be affecting anything else? I'd like to discourage the

cats
but don't want to upset the hedgehogs, bats or birds.

--

Just seen a Blackbird quite happy about 3 metres away from it :-))

Bloody cats. Should all be drowned at birth.

Old 16-02-2005, 07:11 PM

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:13:28 -0000, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Mike" writes:

It says "Cats, Dogs and Foxes" (We have had the latter as well)

The
box says that the other animals and birds are not affected. We

have
certainly had birds here and that is one reason we wanted the
vermin kept out :-))

I smear the gateposts with snake oil, myself.

Funny you should mention that, Nick. Wonderful stuff. Cleanses the
blood of harmful toxins and restores the natural balance, too. It
happens that I've just taken delivery of a large quantity: I'd be
glad to let fellow-urglers have some at cost plus post and packing.

Well I am certainly interested in that. Where can I buy it and can I
spray it around the garden? I love the birds and detest cats - sorry
to any cat lovers - but we have more cats now than ever since new
people moved into the Close. Diana
Mike.

Old 17-02-2005, 12:04 AM
Alan Holmes

"Martin Sykes" wrote in message
"Mike" wrote in message
The owners and regular readers of this newsgroup should by now know my
dislike for the above vermin and will be very interested to know that a
Cat
and Dog Repeller we have just put into use, seems to be working very
well.

Called the Cat and Dog Repelleer, it works off 2 x 9 volt batteries and
is a
small and very portable unit and is easy to hide. It is made by STV
International Ltd 2002 at Little Cressingham in Norfolk

Gives a pulse of ultrasonic wave at a frequency range of 18k.hertz to 24
k.hertz, the lower part of the spectrum 'just' being audible.

So far so good. We will keep you informed

Does it seem to be affecting anything else? I'd like to discourage the
cats but don't want to upset the hedgehogs, bats or birds.

I'd like it to discourage squirrels!

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 17-02-2005, 01:18 AM
suspicious minds

"Mike" wrote in message
The owners and regular readers of this newsgroup should by now know my
dislike for the above vermin and will be very interested to know that a
Cat
and Dog Repeller we have just put into use, seems to be working very well.

Called the Cat and Dog Repelleer, it works off 2 x 9 volt batteries and is
small and very portable unit and is easy to hide. It is made by STV
International Ltd 2002 at Little Cressingham in Norfolk

Gives a pulse of ultrasonic wave at a frequency range of 18k.hertz to 24
k.hertz, the lower part of the spectrum 'just' being audible.

One neighbour had one; just audible like tinnitus. However never seemed to
bother another neighbours cats near the source. May be just coincidence but
something has struck a cord (sorry), since the noise has stopped I have
noticed a much bigger variety of birds in garden.

Old 17-02-2005, 02:30 PM
Jim Lesurf

My first posting in this group. :-)

In article , suspicious minds
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message

Gives a pulse of ultrasonic wave at a frequency range of 18k.hertz to
24 k.hertz, the lower part of the spectrum 'just' being audible.

18 - 24 kHz doesn't really strike me as 'ultrasonic' as I'd suspect that
many people can hear a fair part of that range. (Although not me anymore.
My hearing is now cut off by about 14 kHz.)

One neighbour had one; just audible like tinnitus. However never seemed
to bother another neighbours cats near the source. May be just
coincidence but something has struck a cord (sorry), since the noise
has stopped I have noticed a much bigger variety of birds in garden.

So what *is* the best way to get rid of cats?

I'm fairly new to gardening. Only taken it up with any real level of
acitivity since I took early retirement last May. Enjoying it so far
despite having little real clue what I'm doing. :-)

However two doors down the road we have a 'cat lady'. She has an
ever-changing population of semi-stray cats. Typically around a dozen to
20. The main victims of this are the neighbours in between her and us. But
we also get frequent 'presents' left in the garden. And as I guess you
would expect, as I dig and clear areas and plant things, they *love* the
nice soft ground...

In an area around a small apple tree in the back garden I tried covering
the ground with cocoa mulch. I like the look and smell of this, and it did
seem to put the cats off that area. More recently I worked on a flowbed at
the front of the house, and here the cocoa mulch seemed to stop the
'presents' for a few weeks, but they resumed in the last couple of days. Is
this, as I suspect, as the smell has gone? The layer of mulch I used at the
front is much shallower than around the tree if that makes a significant
difference(?)

If the 'ultrasound' doesn't work, what does? I don't want to have to stand
outside with a machine-gun. Nor do I want to have a dog. Our local garden
center has a pot that you buy some sort of crystals to put in. The smell
allegedly makes the cats go away. Does this sort of thing work? If not,
what?...

BTW does the snake oil also improve the sound of audio systems if you smear
it on the cables?... :-)

Slainte,

Jim

Armstrong Audio http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/Audio/armstrong.html
Barbirolli Soc. http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/JBSoc/JBSoc.html
TechWriter http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/TechWrite/Tips1.html
Compo http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/Compo/clues.html
Old 17-02-2005, 05:11 PM
Mike Lyle

Jim Lesurf wrote:
My first posting in this group. :-)

[...]

Welcome to the feast!

So what *is* the best way to get rid of cats?

Water pistol.

[...]
BTW does the snake oil also improve the sound of audio systems if

you
smear it on the cables?... :-)

Absolutely: beyond recognition. You'll need different grades for
classical and pop, though: the classical one is a bit more expensive
(use classical formula for jazz, of course).

Slainte,

Iechyd da.

Mike.

Old 17-02-2005, 09:24 PM
Phil L

Janet Baraclough wrote:
:: The message
:: from Jim Lesurf contains these words:
::
::: My first posting in this group. :-)
::: So what *is* the best way to get rid of cats
::
::: I'm fairly new to gardening. Only taken it up with any real level
::: of acitivity since I took early retirement last May. Enjoying it
::: so far despite having little real clue what I'm doing. :-)
::
:: Then let's assume that in future, you would like to discuss
:: gardening with other gardeners in this group. Unfortunately, your
:: first posting is a response to a troll, not a gardener. A troll is
:: a pest-poster who attempts to cause trouble and disrupt the group;
:: and they use this topic very often. To avoid troll timewasters,
:: many posters killfile all threads with "cats" in the title, so

But obviously not you?

:: will have missed your introductory post. I suggest you start a new
:: thread with a cat-free title and introduce yourself again. We're
:: always glad to have new gardening posters.
::
:: There's a weekly post called abc.for newcomers to
:: uk.rec.gardening to welcome you to the group, full of useful tips
:: how to get the best from it, and a link to the groups FAQ's, one
:: of which answers your question about cats.
::
:: Janet.

I can't see why a post about deterring cats from shitting in your
strawberries is deemed as timewasting and trolling unless of course...you
own a cat?
I can imagine that one or two cat owners may take umbrage at their darlings
being called vermin, but where gardens are concerned, this is exactly what
they are - they serve no purpose unless you like your strawberries covered
in it, personally I prefer ice cream.

--

http://www.blueyonder256k.myby.co.uk/

Old 18-02-2005, 09:32 AM
Mike

Gives a pulse of ultrasonic wave at a frequency range of 18k.hertz to
24 k.hertz, the lower part of the spectrum 'just' being audible.

18 - 24 kHz doesn't really strike me as 'ultrasonic' as I'd suspect that
many people can hear a fair part of that range. (Although not me anymore.
My hearing is now cut off by about 14 kHz.)

I have Tinnitus as well, sometimes quite bad, but more often than not,
bearable. As far as hearing the unit is concerned, I can hear it and then it
goes quet when I 'assume' it is still working but beyond my hearing range.

So what *is* the best way to get rid of cats?

Well apart from what was done during the War, skin and eat, (they taste like
Rabbit), not a lot unless you cover the garden with netting :-((

I'm fairly new to gardening. Only taken it up with any real level of
acitivity since I took early retirement last May. Enjoying it so far
despite having little real clue what I'm doing. :-)

However two doors down the road we have a 'cat lady'. She has an
ever-changing population of semi-stray cats. Typically around a dozen to
20. The main victims of this are the neighbours in between her and us. But
we also get frequent 'presents' left in the garden. And as I guess you
would expect, as I dig and clear areas and plant things, they *love* the
nice soft ground...

and the owner doesn't give two hoots.
However something I did see yesterday which did please me and if it works
the same for you, you will be delighted. The neighbours cat was in their own
garden, slowly ambling towards the dividing line so I triggered the alarm
myself. Cat stopped, twitched its ears, turned round, dug a hole in 'their
own garden' and did its business

:-)))))

In an area around a small apple tree in the back garden I tried covering
the ground with cocoa mulch. I like the look and smell of this, and it did
seem to put the cats off that area. More recently I worked on a flowbed at
the front of the house, and here the cocoa mulch seemed to stop the
'presents' for a few weeks, but they resumed in the last couple of days.

Is
this, as I suspect, as the smell has gone? The layer of mulch I used at

the
front is much shallower than around the tree if that makes a significant
difference(?)

We tried that cocoa mulch, didn't like the smell and if got a grey fur coat
after a while :-((

If the 'ultrasound' doesn't work, what does? I don't want to have to stand
outside with a machine-gun. Nor do I want to have a dog. Our local garden
center has a pot that you buy some sort of crystals to put in. The smell
allegedly makes the cats go away. Does this sort of thing work? If not,
what?...

Don't know, but a report on here on your findins will be well received by
those who are bothered by the vermin.

BTW does the snake oil also improve the sound of audio systems if you

smear
it on the cables?... :-)

There are no cable to spread anythin on :-(

Jim

Welcome to the newsgroup Jim and take no notice of those who appear to be
the 'owners' of uk.rec.gardening. Its just that they have nothing better to
do than take a swipe at postings they do not like. Anti cats is just one of
the things which bring them out of the woodwork :-(( No doubt they have a
dozen cats themselves, and as cats never leave parcels on their land, they
do not see the problem, but treat it as "Not in my back yard"

Old 18-02-2005, 10:27 AM
Jim Lesurf

In article , Mike Lyle
wrote:
Jim Lesurf wrote:
My first posting in this group. :-)

[...]

Welcome to the feast!

So what *is* the best way to get rid of cats?

Water pistol.

Alas that also implies I have to be out in both the front and back gardens
24 hours per day. Unless someone makes a 'lawn sprinkler' version of the
claymore series of anti-personnel devices? :-)

[...]
BTW does the snake oil also improve the sound of audio systems if

you
smear it on the cables?... :-)

Absolutely: beyond recognition. You'll need different grades for
classical and pop, though: the classical one is a bit more expensive
(use classical formula for jazz, of course).

Managed to avoid needing it thus far. :-)