Old 18-02-2005, 12:09 PM
Charlie Pridham

Default Gertrude jekyl

Does anyone know if her planting lists are available? I am interested in
finding out which clematis varieties she used and specifically which she may
have used at Hestercombe

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 18-02-2005, 01:08 PM
Mike

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
Does anyone know if her planting lists are available? I am interested in
finding out which clematis varieties she used and specifically which she

may
have used at Hestercombe

Clematis heracleifolia var. davidiana With Grey Blue flowers

Old 18-02-2005, 01:13 PM
Mike

"Mike" wrote in message
"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
Does anyone know if her planting lists are available? I am interested in
finding out which clematis varieties she used and specifically which she

may
have used at Hestercombe

Clematis heracleifolia var. davidiana With Grey Blue flowers

That is the only Clematis in the listings we have, but there other
flowers/shrubs if you are looking for more. Come back to us if we can help.

Mike

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Lanc Bomber Fly Past

Old 18-02-2005, 03:55 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Charlie Pridham" contains these words:

Does anyone know if her planting lists are available? I am interested in
finding out which clematis varieties she used and specifically which she

may
have used at Hestercombe

I can't recall where I saw copies of her named planting plans for
herbaceous borders, but that suggests she kept full records. The RHS
members' library probably archives them.

Janet.

Thanks I will try them. been a member for years and never asked them
anything before :~)

Old 18-02-2005, 04:23 PM
Mike

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Charlie Pridham" contains these words:

Does anyone know if her planting lists are available? I am interested in
finding out which clematis varieties she used and specifically which she

may
have used at Hestercombe

I can't recall where I saw copies of her named planting plans for
herbaceous borders, but that suggests she kept full records. The RHS
members' library probably archives them.

Janet.

"The Gardens of Gertrude Jekyll" by Richard Bisgrove ISBN 0-7112-0746-1
Published by Frances Lincoln Limited Apollo Works, 5 Charlton Kings Road,
London. NW 2SB

Do you mean to tell me Barrowcloth that you do not have a First Edition of
this book as we do?

Thought you were a "Gardener" :-((

Next question please.

Mike

Old 19-02-2005, 06:30 PM
Rod

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:55:51 -0000, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Charlie Pridham" contains these words:

Does anyone know if her planting lists are available? I am interested in
finding out which clematis varieties she used and specifically which she

may
have used at Hestercombe

I can't recall where I saw copies of her named planting plans for
herbaceous borders, but that suggests she kept full records. The RHS
members' library probably archives them.

Janet.

Thanks I will try them. been a member for years and never asked them
anything before :~)

I'm in the same boat as Janet, istr seeing something somewhere but
can't for the life of me think where. I worked for a few years on one
of the later Lutyens/Jeckyll collaborations - we had a few fragmentary
plans of the house but nothing for the garden.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.
Old 21-02-2005, 12:11 PM
Steph

Hi - There is a good book by Richard Bisgrove called "The Gardens of
Gertrude Jekyll" which contains many copies of her garden plans for
particular gardens. Hestercombe planting plans are mentioned and sometimes
illustrated throughout the book, therefore you would need to spend sometime
researching the plans. The index mentions Clematis flammula:
C.heracleifolia var.davidiana: C. x jackmanii, C.montana, C. recta and
C.vitalba as amongst the clematis varieties used by Jekyll generally but not
specifically at Hestercombe.

AFAIK Gertrude Jekyll's working copies of her garden plans were acquired by
the American, Beatrix Farrand who then bequeathed them to the School of
Environmental Design at the University of California, Berkeley. I believe
that it is possible to get copies of the plans from them.

Hope this helps.

Steph Power