Old 22-02-2005, 04:16 PM
John Edgar

Default Garotta

Does anyone know what Garotta is? Is it a chemical or is it "natural"
in any sense? Would it do in my new "Green Cone" digester?
TIA
John

Old 22-02-2005, 05:26 PM
Rupert

"John Edgar" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know what Garotta is? Is it a chemical or is it "natural"
in any sense? Would it do in my new "Green Cone" digester?
TIA
John

It's Ammonium sulphate--should be ok

Old 22-02-2005, 08:53 PM
Kieran23

I've seen it in our DIY store as a composting accelerator.
Have you tried urinating in it instead? That's supposed to speed
things up as fast as any packaged product. I've asked the council
(York) - and they can't see any reason why I can't pee on my heap, so
long as I do not expose myself in front of the neighbours.

Old 22-02-2005, 09:45 PM
Oxymel of Squill

you asked the council's permission to pee on your own compost heap?? I know
the Home Secretary can have you locked up in your own bedroom these days,
but even so!!

oups.com...

Old 22-02-2005, 10:30 PM
Kay

In article .com,
Kieran23 writes
I've seen it in our DIY store as a composting accelerator.
Have you tried urinating in it instead? That's supposed to speed
things up as fast as any packaged product. I've asked the council
(York) - and they can't see any reason why I can't pee on my heap,

Blimey! I bet that's a first!
Most of us pee without asking permission ;-)

--
Kay

Old 22-02-2005, 11:04 PM
Mike

Blimey! I bet that's a first!
Most of us pee without asking permission ;-)

back to the privy at the bottom of the garden ;-)) ???

Old 22-02-2005, 11:26 PM
June Hughes

In message .com,
Kieran23 writes
I've seen it in our DIY store as a composting accelerator.
Have you tried urinating in it instead? That's supposed to speed
things up as fast as any packaged product. I've asked the council
(York) - and they can't see any reason why I can't pee on my heap, so
long as I do not expose myself in front of the neighbours.

You asked your council?? Blimey! Did they come round to check?

Sorry for the frivolity. We had a long discussion about the subject on
this ng several years ago. IIRC, it resulted in some novel ideas.
--
June Hughes
Old 22-02-2005, 11:46 PM
Martin Brown

John Edgar wrote:

Does anyone know what Garotta is? Is it a chemical or is it "natural"
in any sense? Would it do in my new "Green Cone" digester?

It is a bit of both. Freeze dried compost fungi and ammonium salts.

It works pretty well to start a new heap into hot composting early in
the season. You can cut it with much cheaper inorganic ammonium
sulphate. Helps small heaps rot down faster - irrelevant for big heaps.

It is a pretty good way to start a new compost heap along the right track.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 23-02-2005, 01:26 PM
Kieran23

I assure you that I would have been happy to take matters into my own
hand, so to speak. I was interested to see how the council would
react. As it happens they gave the thumbs up within 5 minutes of me
sending an email.