GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   O.T. - White Feathers In Garden (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/9023-o-t-white-feathers-garden.html)

Mike 24-12-2002 05:39 PM

O.T. - White Feathers In Garden

From early this year early in the morning about twice a week i have been
finding white downy feathers on one my lawns (it can vary which
one)which i pick up and discard.

I don't find any evidence of dead birds or animals but these feathers
are gradually getting closer to my home !

I found a large dead (grey) rat at the end of my garden about a year ago
but unsure whether it had been bitten or poisoned. I also saw one in my
neighbours garden whilst they were on holiday a few months back.

There is no livestock in the area (or anywhere) that I am aware of but
my neighbour does have a shed standing on a layer of bricks near a large
compost heap. I understand these are ideal conditions for rats.

But my question isn't about the rats themselves rather what these white
feathers could belong too. Any ideas ?

Mike.

david 24-12-2002 06:42 PM

O.T. - White Feathers In Garden

could be that you have had a bird taken by a sparrow hawk or kestrel, all
they leave is a few feathers .no body.

"finding white downy feathers on one my lawns "
Gives a new meaning to "Down the garden"

Happy Xmas everyone

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Sue & Bob Hobden 24-12-2002 10:40 PM

O.T. - White Feathers In Garden

"david" wrote in message
could be that you have had a bird taken by a sparrow hawk or kestrel, all
they leave is a few feathers .no body.

We often find that on our allotments, and I've seen a pigeon hit by a hawk
right over my head, feathers everywhere, like snow, and the one we saw hit
from behind whilst perched nearby was like an explosion.
In one instance, at least, it was a Goshawk, confirmed by the lads in the
Swan Sanctuary that saw it hunting the allotments for some days. (in
N.Surrey)
It's obvious when there is a bird of prey about, the local pigeons seem to
mostly disappear and those left, fly low and fast.
--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Dave Liquorice 24-12-2002 10:46 PM

O.T. - White Feathers In Garden

On Tue, 24 Dec 2002 18:42:54 -0000, david wrote:

could be that you have had a bird taken by a sparrow hawk or
kestrel, all they leave is a few feathers .no body.

Or the duvet has a small leak and they are getting transported to the
garden in the cover after being washed.

This grey rat has me intrigued though. Rats are black or brown...

--
Cheers
Dave. Remove "spam" for valid email.

Kay Easton 24-12-2002 11:44 PM

O.T. - White Feathers In Garden

In article . network,
Dave Liquorice writes
On Tue, 24 Dec 2002 18:42:54 -0000, david wrote:

could be that you have had a bird taken by a sparrow hawk or
kestrel, all they leave is a few feathers .no body.

Or the duvet has a small leak and they are getting transported to the
garden in the cover after being washed.

This grey rat has me intrigued though. Rats are black or brown...

They're *called* black or brown, but brown rats look grey
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/

Dave Liquorice 25-12-2002 01:36 AM

O.T. - White Feathers In Garden

On Tue, 24 Dec 2002 23:44:19 +0000, Kay Easton wrote:

They're *called* black or brown, but brown rats look grey

Brown rats, as in your common all garden rat, I've seen and they are
what I would call "rodent brown". Not seen a "black" rat however, they
are somewhat rarer.

Alan Gabriel 25-12-2002 02:31 AM

O.T. - White Feathers In Garden

"Mike" wrote in message
From early this year early in the morning about twice a week i have been

finding white downy feathers on one my lawns (it can vary which
one)which i pick up and discard.

I don't find any evidence of dead birds or animals but these feathers
are gradually getting closer to my home !

Is anyone accusing you of cowardice? (remembering the film The Four White
Feathers) LOL

--
Regards,
Alan.

Preserve wildlife - Pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.

nicky 25-12-2002 11:51 PM

O.T. - White Feathers In Garden

"Alan Gabriel" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
From early this year early in the morning about twice a week i have

been
finding white downy feathers on one my lawns (it can vary which
one)which i pick up and discard.

I don't find any evidence of dead birds or animals but these feathers
are gradually getting closer to my home !

Is anyone accusing you of cowardice? (remembering the film The Four White
Feathers) LOL

--
Regards,
Alan.

Preserve wildlife - Pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.

Or given the season perhaps a few angels have been visiting :)

Nicky