GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Xmas Trees (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/9028-xmas-trees.html)

David Berry 26-12-2002 11:44 AM

Xmas Trees

Merry Xmas to one and all.

Has anyone ever tried growing Xmas trees from seed. If so, what type and
what problems are there?

Regards

David Berry

Janet Baraclough 26-12-2002 04:14 PM

Xmas Trees

The message
from "David Berry" contains these words:

Merry Xmas to one and all.

Has anyone ever tried growing Xmas trees from seed. If so, what type and
what problems are there?

It's dead easy, and they grow into mature trees very fast. I've grown
both the usual "xmas tree", Norway spruce, and Scots Pine, from seed in
ripe cones I collected from mature trees. Pick the cones now; when kept
in a warm room they will open and the ripe seeds drop out.Put them in a
plastic jiffy envelope with a teaspoon of damp sand or potting compost
and leave them in the bottom of your fridge until March; sow in pots.
They come up like mustard and cress. Thin them slightly in the pot, then
plant them out in their growing position when they are about 6" high,
keep them protected from weeds and rabbits.

Janet.