Old 28-12-2002, 05:20 PM
Barbara B

Default Killing Brambles

We have a heavy infestation of brambles in woodland and have tried various
methods but the current favourite is chopping them up with a brash cutter.
When they start to grow again in Spring we want to spot spray them with weed
killer(absolute minimum) so which is best?
Any other suggestions for control/eradication gratefully received.

Old 28-12-2002, 06:31 PM
Anne Middleton/Harold Walker

For my bet I would suggest allowing them to regrow to about a foot or so to
give them plenty of leaves and then give them a dose of Round-Up a
concentration of at least double the suggested strenght...even with this
youprobably will have to respray.....they can be tough beggars to get rid
of........HW

Old 28-12-2002, 06:35 PM
ned

Barbara B wrote:
We have a heavy infestation of brambles in woodland and have tried
various methods but the current favourite is chopping them up with
a brash cutter. When they start to grow again in Spring we want to
spot spray them with weed killer(absolute minimum) so which is best?
Any other suggestions for control/eradication gratefully received.

'Know the problem. :-(
Yes I think your technique is right. I know several people who have
tried various proprietory weed killers and the concensus has been that
Roundup is as good as any.
I know its labour intemnsive but grubbing the roots out is very
effective. In woodland, bramble tends to root relatively shallow. It
can almost be rewarding to haul yards of root out of leaf mould - if
you are up to that sort of thing. ;-))

--
ned

Old 29-12-2002, 01:47 AM
Emrys Davies

'Barbara',

Forget your weed killer. Brambles are shallow rooters and if you cut
them down to a level where you can operate without being scratched you
can prise the roots with a fork and drag out the offending remnants
quite easily. A stout pair of gloves will be a great help.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 29-12-2002, 06:43 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Emrys Davies
writes

Forget your weed killer. Brambles are shallow rooters and if you cut
them down to a level where you can operate without being scratched you
can prise the roots with a fork and drag out the offending remnants
quite easily. A stout pair of gloves will be a great help.

I agree that no weed-killers are necessary. In fact there's no real need
to take out bramble root systems unless the space is wanted for planting
etc. If top re-growth is removed by cutting off stems when they are
large enough to see and handle, the roots below will begin to
deteriorate. After two or three removals of top re-growth even large
clumps of bramble roots will begin to die off in the ground.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 29-12-2002, 10:19 PM
Mary Fisher

"Barbara B" wrote in message
We have a heavy infestation of brambles in woodland and have tried various
methods but the current favourite is chopping them up with a brash cutter.
When they start to grow again in Spring we want to spot spray them with

weed
killer(absolute minimum) so which is best?
Any other suggestions for control/eradication gratefully received.

Borrow a couple of goats.

Mary

Old 29-12-2002, 11:55 PM
Alan Holmes

"Barbara B" wrote in message
We have a heavy infestation of brambles in woodland and have tried various
methods but the current favourite is chopping them up with a brash cutter.
When they start to grow again in Spring we want to spot spray them with

weed
killer(absolute minimum) so which is best?

SBK is the best thing to use.

Alan

Any other suggestions for control/eradication gratefully received.

Old 30-12-2002, 02:14 AM
Steve Harris

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7434.html

Old 30-12-2002, 12:15 PM

On Sun, 29 Dec 2002 00:47:37 -0000, " Emrys Davies"
wrote:

Brambles are shallow rooters and if you cut
them down to a level where you can operate without being scratched you
can prise the roots with a fork and drag out the offending remnants
quite easily.

Agreed, but it is hard work!

Phil

Old 30-12-2002, 01:08 PM

On Sun, 29 Dec 2002 22:55:29 -0000, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

SBK is the best thing to use.

Alan

Yes, it is very effective but it's nasty stuff. ? 2-4-5T whatever ?

Phil

brambles...training ? Purple Hugs Edible Gardening 5 03-01-2006 05:33 PM
brambles Lu United Kingdom 12 01-09-2004 10:38 AM
Getting rid of brambles. Zapp Brannigan United Kingdom 21 02-10-2003 02:32 AM
What kind of soil under brambles? anne United Kingdom 5 11-09-2003 01:12 PM
What kind of soil under brambles? anne United Kingdom 1 09-09-2003 01:12 AM