Old 31-12-2002, 07:42 PM
Warwick Michael Dumas

Default Magic Lizards

Guess what, yes, LIZARDS. At least 2 of the fellers. Distinctly
lizardly in form, but only 2.5 to 3 inches long. Grey. Didn't do much.
I think I got them from underground, suddenly there they were on the
bit of earth I dug. One of them may have got hurt but he didn't seem
to say anything so I don't know. Actually I stared at them both for a
while hoping they were going to go squeak, but I suppose they
basically couldn't see the point in that.

Since I didn't know if they were from underground or not (seems a bit
weird, it looked like they were buried about two inches deep in a
slope of earth), I hedged my bets by putting some leaves over them.
One of them is definitely going to have to be called... Lizzy, the
Lizard. Don't know about the other. Does anyone know what to do (And
how the hell am I going to get at the rest of my earth? The idiots
that lived here before put it all in a heap just outside the
garden(!), and this is where I've found Lizzy the Lizard.) Also, a cat
wouldn't eat a lizard, would it?

Warwick Dumas

www.members.tripod.com/ecuqe

"If Adolf Hitler were here today, they'd send a limousine anyway."
- the late Joe Strummer
Old 31-12-2002, 10:22 PM
Andy Spragg

(Warwick Michael Dumas) pushed briefly to
the front of the queue on 31 Dec 2002 11:42:40 -0800, and nailed this
to the shed door:

(subterranean homesick lizard blues)

^ Since I didn't know if they were from underground or not (seems a bit
^ weird, it looked like they were buried about two inches deep in a
^ slope of earth), I hedged my bets by putting some leaves over them.
^ One of them is definitely going to have to be called... Lizzy, the
^ Lizard. Don't know about the other. Does anyone know what to do (And

Call it Eddie. Eddie Lizzard.

^ how the hell am I going to get at the rest of my earth? The idiots
^ that lived here before put it all in a heap just outside the
^ garden(!), and this is where I've found Lizzy the Lizard.) Also, a cat
^ wouldn't eat a lizard, would it?

You should not be digging on New Years Eve anyway. Specially not when
the grounds waterlogged. Get a grip, man - you're supposed to be
R&Ring.

Here's what I would do. Erect a notice declaring that earth-moving
operations will be commencing in 12 weeks time, and giving the lizards
a month and a day to lodge any complaints. In the absence of any
outcry, go to it at a civilised time of year with a clear conscience.

Andy

--
sparge at globalnet point co point uk

"I imagine most people would agree with me
when I say that most people seem to imagine
that most people would agree with them"
Bob Goddard, uk.rec.sheddizen
Old 31-12-2002, 10:32 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Warwick
Michael Dumas writes
Guess what, yes, LIZARDS. At least 2 of the fellers. Distinctly
lizardly in form, but only 2.5 to 3 inches long. Grey. Didn't do much.
I think I got them from underground, suddenly there they were on the
bit of earth I dug. One of them may have got hurt but he didn't seem
to say anything so I don't know. Actually I stared at them both for a
while hoping they were going to go squeak, but I suppose they
basically couldn't see the point in that.

Could they possibly have been newts?

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/
Old 01-01-2003, 02:18 AM
Alan Gabriel

"Warwick Michael Dumas" wrote in message
om...
Guess what, yes, LIZARDS. At least 2 of the fellers. Distinctly
lizardly in form, but only 2.5 to 3 inches long. Grey. Didn't do much.
I think I got them from underground, suddenly there they were on the
bit of earth I dug. One of them may have got hurt but he didn't seem
to say anything so I don't know. Actually I stared at them both for a
while hoping they were going to go squeak, but I suppose they
basically couldn't see the point in that.

They are newts. Probably Olivia newt and John.

--
Regards,
Alan.

Preserve wildlife - Pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.

Old 01-01-2003, 03:09 AM
Andy Spragg

"Alan Gabriel" pushed
briefly to the front of the queue on Wed, 1 Jan 2003 02:18:31 -0000,
and nailed this to the shed door:

^ "Warwick Michael Dumas" wrote in message
^ om...

^ Guess what, yes, LIZARDS. At least 2 of the fellers. Distinctly
^ lizardly in form, but only 2.5 to 3 inches long. Grey. Didn't do much.
^ I think I got them from underground, suddenly there they were on the
^ bit of earth I dug. One of them may have got hurt but he didn't seem
^ to say anything so I don't know. Actually I stared at them both for a
^ while hoping they were going to go squeak, but I suppose they
^ basically couldn't see the point in that.

^ They are newts. Probably Olivia newt and John.

Oh, good GRIEF! To think I was feeling pleased with Eddie Lizzard ....

Andy

--
sparge at globalnet point co point uk

Life begins at kilofortnight

Old 01-01-2003, 03:31 AM
Warwick Michael Dumas

Kay Easton wrote in message ...
In article , Warwick
Michael Dumas writes
Guess what, yes, LIZARDS. At least 2 of the fellers. Distinctly
lizardly in form, but only 2.5 to 3 inches long. Grey. Didn't do much.
I think I got them from underground, suddenly there they were on the
bit of earth I dug. One of them may have got hurt but he didn't seem
to say anything so I don't know. Actually I stared at them both for a
while hoping they were going to go squeak, but I suppose they
basically couldn't see the point in that.

Could they possibly have been newts?

I've had my suspicions. My Mum reckoned they must be. I thought newts
were found around ponds and in proximity to Ken Livingstone. Maybe
through constant discipline/meditation/etc I've acquired an echo of
Ken's aura.

Old 01-01-2003, 03:56 AM
Warwick Michael Dumas

(Andy Spragg) wrote in message ...
[...]

It's not, I'm not - I needed a bit of decent earth for moving an evil
artificial Cherry Tree Graft Thing. (Gave it a fighting chance, that's
all it deserves!)

Get a grip, man - you're supposed to be
R&Ring.

I thought gardening was a relaxing leisure pursuit. (Yeah right!)
Anyway it's hard to distinguish when you're both unemployed and very
lazy, like I am.

Here's what I would do. Erect a notice declaring that earth-moving
operations will be commencing in 12 weeks time, and giving the lizards
a month and a day to lodge any complaints. In the absence of any
outcry, go to it at a civilised time of year with a clear conscience.

I think they probably will move out in the spring but I've really been
moved by an impulse to do what I can for them - it's hard to just
leave them to whatever fate befalls them. They're so miniature and
cool!

Old 01-01-2003, 09:04 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Warwick
Michael Dumas writes
Kay Easton wrote in message
In article , Warwick
Michael Dumas writes
Guess what, yes, LIZARDS. At least 2 of the fellers. Distinctly
lizardly in form, but only 2.5 to 3 inches long. Grey. Didn't do much.
I think I got them from underground, suddenly there they were on the
bit of earth I dug. One of them may have got hurt but he didn't seem
to say anything so I don't kno

Could they possibly have been newts?

I've had my suspicions. My Mum reckoned they must be. I thought newts
were found around ponds

Not necessarily, newts can travel some distances away from water, as
long as they stay damp. AFAIK they do tend to bury into damp soil over
winter.

Newts have a flat broad tail (forswimming) as opposed to the longer
thinner tail of lizards
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 01-01-2003, 11:53 AM
Tumbleweed

[...]

Almost certainly newts unless you live in the New Forest. And cats will eat
anything, mainly so it gives them the ability to go and shit in my garden
afterwards, so put them back somewhere safe.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)

Old 01-01-2003, 08:53 PM
Victoria Clare

"Tumbleweed" wrote in
:

Subject: Magic Lizards
From: "Tumbleweed"
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening

"Warwick Michael Dumas" wrote in message
om...
Guess what, yes, LIZARDS. At least 2 of the fellers. Distinctly
lizardly in form, but only 2.5 to 3 inches long. Grey. Didn't do
much. I think I got them from underground, suddenly there they were
on the bit of earth I dug. One of them may have got hurt but he
didn't seem to say anything so I don't know.

Almost certainly newts unless you live in the New Forest. And cats
will eat anything, mainly so it gives them the ability to go and shit
in my garden afterwards, so put them back somewhere safe.

Why New Forest? Aren't lizards all over the UK?

Have found lizards in Devon several times before now, including a couple
that turned up on the patio at this time of the year to bask in late
sunshine and got caught by a cold evening. I stuck them in a vivarium I
happened to have by me, and they came bouncing back to life, so I let 'em
go on the bank next day.

If the beasties = dry to the touch and sort of minutely scaly, then yes,
lizards, and probably were roosting in a crack under a dry stone or
something. Cats will play with them fatally, though probably not actually
eat them.

If you go digging in the heap at this time of year they may not have the
energy to move out of the way and you might chop them up by accident. Leave
it till a bright day though, and they will be gone so fast you won't see
them.

If beasties = slimy or soft dampish skin, with broad tails then newts, and
again holed up in a damp hole for the winter. Newts are usually a bit
slow, though again you'll be safer digging in the spring.

Victoria

Old 03-01-2003, 07:33 AM
Tumbleweed

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
. 207...
"Tumbleweed" wrote in
:

From: "Tumbleweed"
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening

"Warwick Michael Dumas" wrote in message
om...
Guess what, yes, LIZARDS. At least 2 of the fellers. Distinctly
lizardly in form, but only 2.5 to 3 inches long. Grey. Didn't do
much. I think I got them from underground, suddenly there they were
on the bit of earth I dug. One of them may have got hurt but he
didn't seem to say anything so I don't know.

Almost certainly newts unless you live in the New Forest. And cats
will eat anything, mainly so it gives them the ability to go and shit
in my garden afterwards, so put them back somewhere safe.

Why New Forest? Aren't lizards all over the UK?

I believe they are much rarer in the N.

Have found lizards in Devon several times before now, including a couple
that turned up on the patio at this time of the year to bask in late
sunshine and got caught by a cold evening. I stuck them in a vivarium I
happened to have by me, and they came bouncing back to life, so I let 'em
go on the bank next day.

Fair enough, but Devon is warmer than the New F (Though its wetter as well,
I would guess)
IIRC they do best where they can semi-hibernate somewhere dry, hence the NF
where there are a lot of sandy areas and soem of the N areas where they live
are sandy. When I lived in Devon (Exeter) it may have been warmer than
elsewhere in the winter but it always seemed to be raining.

Old 03-01-2003, 11:27 PM
Tom Warner

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

(much snipping)

Why New Forest? Aren't lizards all over the UK?

I believe they are much rarer in the N.

I once saw a lizard sunning itself on a rock by a road cutting in NW
Scottish Highlands.
I don't know how rare they are up there, but they disappear at the slightest
movement, and usually before we see them.
Tom

Old 04-01-2003, 10:14 PM

I'm slowly realising that common lizards are rather more common than I
thought they might be. I've noticed quite a few in the past year and
they seem to be thoroughly at home on local rocky cliff faces . A few
took up home in my garden during the summer and I eventually learnt to
remain quiet enough to approach and view them as they sunned
themselves on the stone walls surrounding the garden.

Dave Poole
TORQUAY UK