GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Patio fruit trees (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/90587-patio-fruit-trees.html)

Brian Watson 06-03-2005 09:59 PM

Patio fruit trees

Noticed these at a garden centre today; peaches, nectarines, plums.

Are they new this year or has anyone here had any experience with any of
them?

--
Brian

Miss Perspicacia Tick 07-03-2005 06:41 PM

Brian Watson wrote:
Noticed these at a garden centre today; peaches, nectarines, plums.

Are they new this year or has anyone here had any experience with any
of them?

We've had a potted plum for about four years. I have seen nectarine and
peach trees but I doubt they're hardy enough to survive our climate without
being grown under glass (even a conservatory would do).
on salads.

Brian Watson 07-03-2005 08:13 PM

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote in message
Brian Watson wrote:
Noticed these at a garden centre today; peaches, nectarines, plums.

Are they new this year or has anyone here had any experience with any
of them?

We've had a potted plum for about four years. I have seen nectarine and
peach trees but I doubt they're hardy enough to survive our climate
without being grown under glass (even a conservatory would do).

Yes, some of the varieties being offered did suggest a period in a
greenhouse or similar in the harshest part of the winter.

Bearing in mind how small they are, I thought this wouldn't be too much of a
hardship.

Had any fruit yet?

--
Brian

Miss Perspicacia Tick 08-03-2005 01:58 AM

Brian Watson wrote:
Noticed these at a garden centre today; peaches, nectarines, plums.

Are they new this year or has anyone here had any experience with
any of them?

We've had a potted plum for about four years. I have seen nectarine
and peach trees but I doubt they're hardy enough to survive our
climate without being grown under glass (even a conservatory would
do).

Yes, some of the varieties being offered did suggest a period in a
greenhouse or similar in the harshest part of the winter.

Bearing in mind how small they are, I thought this wouldn't be too
much of a hardship.

Had any fruit yet?

We only have a plum and it's always been a good fruiter (if the wasps will
allow us to have any). Managed to salvage about 6lbs last year.
on salads.

Brian Watson 08-03-2005 06:53 AM

Brian Watson wrote:
"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote in message

Had any fruit yet?

We only have a plum and it's always been a good fruiter (if the wasps will
allow us to have any). Managed to salvage about 6lbs last year.

Sounds good. Thank you.
--
Brian

Miss Perspicacia Tick 08-03-2005 04:25 PM

Brian Watson wrote:
"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote in message

Had any fruit yet?

We only have a plum and it's always been a good fruiter (if the
wasps will allow us to have any). Managed to salvage about 6lbs last
year.

Sounds good. Thank you.

You're welcome. :o)
on salads.