Old 03-01-2003, 10:47 AM
Janet Tweedy

Default Helleborus

In December I sent off for some Hellebores to Farmhouse Nurseries in
LLan......... Well somewhere in Wales. I have to say that the
collection and the five specific plants that I received were so good
three local gardening friends wanted them so I have to now order some
more! The fact that most of their hellebores have more upright stems and
flowers means that you can see the flowers that much better.

The plants were huge and all but three were in flower so you could see
the type and range of varieties. I got some doubles, some spotted and so
on.
I also got a pot of seedlings so I have no idea what they'll be!

I do have a question..........
Only having grown them in the garden I would like to pot up the special
ones to display nearer the house. What size pot does anyone suggest I
use? I have crammed them into 9 or 10 inch ones but think they'll need a
bigger pot to grow better.
Will they thrive in a pot or would it be better to plant them in the
garden eventually? The nurseries web site is really good for showing off
the plants etc but not so hot on growing tips.

Janet
--
Janet
Hedgerows & lawns
Old 04-01-2003, 10:44 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

In December I sent off for some Hellebores to Farmhouse Nurseries in
LLan......... Well somewhere in Wales.

Just found their website, it's in Llandysul,
http://www.farmyardnurseries.co.uk/

and I'm drooling already.

Will they thrive in a pot or would it be better to plant them in the
garden eventually?

I potted mine for our house move, they have been in pots since July
and half of them are in full flower atm. The others have no flower buds
showing atm. No way of telling if it's the pots, or the disturbance,that
they didn't like. Hellebores like cool roots and mature ones get quite
big, so I shan't keep them in pots much longer.

The website says "expert advice freely given" and an email address,
worth a try :-)

Janet.
Old 06-01-2003, 12:53 PM
cormaic

'Twas Fri, 3 Jan 2003 10:47:23 +0000, when Janet Tweedy
enriched all our lives with these worthy
thoughts:

I do have a question..........
Only having grown them in the garden I would like to pot up the special
ones to display nearer the house. What size pot does anyone suggest I
use? I have crammed them into 9 or 10 inch ones but think they'll need a
bigger pot to grow better.
Will they thrive in a pot or would it be better to plant them in the
garden eventually? The nurseries web site is really good for showing off
the plants etc but not so hot on growing tips.

I have a few hellebores and the one thing I've learned is that
they do not like being disturbed. They seem to sulk for a year or two
after being moved or re-potted, so think carefully before deciding
where to bung them.
The biggest hellebore is in a 450mm pot and that goes beside
the front door at this time of year. Others are in the ground at the
shady end of the garden where they thrive, but then, they look tatty
and uninteresting once their season is over at the end of spring. At
least the potted specimens can be relocated to an unobtrusive corner.
I s'pose it depends on how much room you have. I'm really
limited in this garden, so pots suit me best. If I had more room, then
I think I'd be more inclined to give them a permanent home in a shady
woodlandy border.

--
cormaic URG faqs/webring - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/
Culcheth Garden - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/garden/

cormaic CAN BE FOUND AT borlochshall.co.uk
Old 08-01-2003, 09:10 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes

http://www.farmyardnurseries.co.uk/

The website says "expert advice freely given" and an email address,
worth a try :-)

They actually were extremely helpful about which plants I should order
and they gave me help in alternatives etc if they hadn't got the plants
I WANTED. However there's no actual growing information on the web
site.......
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 08-01-2003, 09:12 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , cormaic
writes

I s'pose it depends on how much room you have. I'm really
limited in this garden, so pots suit me best. If I had more room, then
I think I'd be more inclined to give them a permanent home in a shady
woodlandy border.

Trouble is you can't see them if they are in the garden at this time
of year
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 09-01-2003, 08:50 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , cormaic
writes

Trouble is you can't see them if they are in the garden at this time
of year
--
Janet Tweedy

They grow fine in pots janet, the only problem is you need to redo them each
year as they fill the pot with roots very quickly (don't split them it tends
to stop them flowering!) after about 3 seasons they are in large pots so you
need to start again! ordinary compost is fine.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk