Old 07-03-2005, 10:42 PM
Kay

Default The frogs are at it ...

A late start because of the snow ... but we have 7 frogs in the front
pond and 37 in the back.
--
Kay

Old 08-03-2005, 12:08 PM
Kay

In article , Miss
Perspicacia Tick writes

We used to have frogs, but then the local heron decided that he wanted a
change from fish. Haven't had any for about four years now (though I'm still
optimistic they'll return). We do, however, have at least two common newts.

I'm not sure the newts are good news for frogs. Newts feed on tadpoles.
--
Kay

Old 08-03-2005, 01:53 PM
Tumbleweed

"Kay" wrote
I'm not sure the newts are good news for frogs. Newts feed on tadpoles.
--
Kay

It all balances out. We have many newts and many frogs. We also get regular
visits from the Heron.
The least agile goldfish long since got swallowed but the few that remain
continue to evade being eaten. (A liberal supply of rocks and old clay tubes
on the bottom of the ponds provide air-raid shelter!)
The frogs have already met and deposited copious amounts of healthy spawn.
Some of the tadpoles will help our newts to thrive, some will fatten the
dragonfly nymphs. And a few will leave the pond, evade the blades of the
lawnmower and return as adults.

Old 08-03-2005, 04:15 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote in message
On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 22:42:00 +0000, Kay
wrote:

A late start because of the snow ... but we have 7 frogs in the

front
pond and 37 in the back.

At what exactly? :-)

Playing Doctors and Nurses

Franz

Old 08-03-2005, 04:23 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Kay wrote:
In article , Miss
Perspicacia Tick writes

We used to have frogs, but then the local heron decided that he
wanted a change from fish. Haven't had any for about four years now
(though I'm still optimistic they'll return). We do, however, have
at least two common newts.

I'm not sure the newts are good news for frogs. Newts feed on
tadpoles.

Good point, Kay, I'd forgotten that - and a plague of dragonflies wouldn't
help the situation, either. But I've definitely seen the heron taking
frogs...
on salads.

Old 08-03-2005, 05:43 PM
Kay

In article , Tumbleweed
writes

"Kay" wrote
I'm not sure the newts are good news for frogs. Newts feed on tadpoles.

It all balances out.

Depends on other things, though, doesn't it?
Fortunately, the weedy ponds favoured by newts for breeding also have
lots of cover for the frog tadpoles. But if a couple of newts took up
residence in a sparsely weeded pond, the could wreak havoc among the
tadpoles. But then that's why frogs breed as they do - lots of spares.

We have many newts and many frogs. We also get regular
visits from the Heron.

Likewise. But now the newt population is topping 50, I think we are
beginning to see the effect on the number of young frogs that we get.
Certainly the front pond, with only one newt, had a lot more frog
tadpoles later in the season than did the back pond which is the one the
newts favour.

--
Kay

Old 08-03-2005, 08:07 PM
Sla#s

"Kay" wrote in message
A late start because of the snow ... but we have 7 frogs in the front
pond and 37 in the back.

There was still ice on my pond yesterday when I heard the first croaking of
the year.

Slatts

Old 09-03-2005, 07:21 PM
Sla#s

wrote in message
SNIP
There was still ice on my pond yesterday when I heard the first croaking

of
the year.

The neighbour's wife?

If I catch her in my pond again there'll be trouble!

Slatts

Old 15-03-2005, 10:30 AM
Foxfield

A late start because of the snow ... but we have 7 frogs in the front
pond and 37 in the back.

Frogs are active in Lincoln. Only 2 so far though.

--
http://foxfield-parva.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
"Kay" wrote in message

Kay

Old 15-03-2005, 05:28 PM
mich

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Foxfield" contains these words:

A late start because of the snow ... but we have 7 frogs in the front
pond and 37 in the back.

Frogs are active in Lincoln. Only 2 so far though.

I saw fresh frogspawn in a pond in Brodick last Sunday....though I'm
not sure it will survive the chilly spell we're having.

Well aren't you all late? I had 22 frogs spawning the second week of
January. Frog spawn is now tadpoles - all babies doing well so far. I check
each day.

A second flurry of activity began about a week ago. Result is anothor batch
of spawn.

Old 15-03-2005, 11:12 PM
ned

"Foxfield" wrote in message
A late start because of the snow ... but we have 7 frogs in the

front
pond and 37 in the back.

Frogs are active in Lincoln. Only 2 so far though.

22 miles east, our frogs started spawning last Friday, the 11th, and
are still producing. We had a lot of frog activity back in February
but the cold snap put an end to that.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 08.03.2005

Old 16-03-2005, 09:17 AM
Nick Maclaren

I shall refrain from commenting on which threads I am referring to.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 2 01-09-2004 07:06 PM
frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 0 31-08-2004 10:24 PM
FROGS - Bull Frogs, Leopard Frogs, Spring Peepers (Was BullFrogs) Heather Ponds 1 03-06-2003 06:20 PM
greenhouse frogs Dave Lockwood Orchids 4 01-04-2003 05:20 PM
Feeding Frogs Rupert Ponds 1 30-01-2003 05:20 AM