Old 04-01-2003, 12:26 AM
Tumbleweed

Default Garden mess leads to jail

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2626535.stm

Anyone here? (let us know in 4 months)!

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)

Old 04-01-2003, 12:52 PM
Warwick Michael Dumas

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message ...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2626535.stm

Anyone here? (let us know in 4 months)!

A bit of a waste, yes. But probably not nearly so annoying as
neighbours can be. I bet people never get this, for example, for
spraying chemicals around like mad, even when they happen to stop a
fence from being put up too (a combination which must occur
sometimes).

Warwick Dumas

www.members.tripod.com/ecuqe

"If Adolf Hitler were here today, they'd send a limousine anyway."
- the late Joe Strummer
Old 04-01-2003, 03:23 PM
.

People *do* get prosecuted for incorrect spraying of chemicals, as the
farmer who farms the field next to me is finding out!! 3 times I've asked
him not to allow the drift to come onto my land (we have sheep and horses
grazing), so by the 4th time I'd had enough. The HSE have taken it up and
it's going to Magistrates Court soon. Of course I doubt this will carry a
sentence, which is not what I would want anyway. More likely he'll be
heavily fined, as during their investigation they found a catalogue of
non-compliance.

Warwick Michael Dumas wrote:
"Tumbleweed" wrote in
message ...

Old 04-01-2003, 05:53 PM
bnd777

If the same action could be taken for littering my land with 3 ton of
rubbish cuttings my neighbours tatty conifers produce it would be lovely
but it seems inconsiderate neighbours can do things like that with impunity

Old 04-01-2003, 07:10 PM
Jim W

Tumbleweed wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2626535.stm

Anyone here? (let us know in 4 months)!

No one that posts under their real name anyway!-)
//
Old 04-01-2003, 08:00 PM
Anne Jackson

The message
from "bnd777" contains these words:

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2626535.stm

Anyone here? (let us know in 4 months)!

Cant say I blame the poor neighbours

I think it's utterly disgraceful, that *anyone* should seek to impose
their idea of a "perfect" garden on somebody else!

Okay, I can sympathise with the neighbours, but that still doesn't
give anyone the right to dictate what someone else does with their
own garden!

Wouldn't it be _so_ boring, if everyone thought alike, or was prepared
to dictate what _everyone's_ idea of perfection should be?

--
Anne

ICQ #:- 119531282

Old 04-01-2003, 10:02 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Anne Jackson
writes
The message
from "bnd777" contains these words:

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2626535.stm

Anyone here? (let us know in 4 months)!

Cant say I blame the poor neighbours

I think it's utterly disgraceful, that *anyone* should seek to impose
their idea of a "perfect" garden on somebody else!

I agree, I don't think that's what this is about.

Okay, I can sympathise with the neighbours, but that still doesn't
give anyone the right to dictate what someone else does with their
own garden!

I suspect it wasn't just a case of it just being a bit untidy.

Depending on what had been collected./stored/dumped in the garden, it
may well have been , an environmental or health hazard, not just an
eyesore.

I suspect it would have to have been pretty extreme for this case to
have succeeded.

But it's hard to tell from these sort of news stories.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 05-01-2003, 11:07 AM
JennyC

"Anne Jackson" wrote

I think it's utterly disgraceful, that *anyone* should seek to

impose
their idea of a "perfect" garden on somebody else!

Okay, I can sympathise with the neighbours, but that still doesn't
give anyone the right to dictate what someone else does with their
own garden!

Wouldn't it be _so_ boring, if everyone thought alike, or was

prepared
to dictate what _everyone's_ idea of perfection should be?
Anne

This thread has triggered a discussion in our household about the
rights people have to do as they wish with their own plot....

The garden of the house opposite ours at the end of our cul-de-sac is
very messy. The side garden is full of stinging nettles 2 metres high.
There are various odds and ends of things strewn all over the garden
and (small) driveway. We are talking things like old cable drums as
garden table, broken deckchairs (still out there now!), dead
houseplants in their pots, broken toys, old flower pots, three years
dead Christmas trees etc etc etc..........

The lady who lives there is, as you may have gathered, somewhat of an
eccentric ! She does not seem to see the junk, but does complain about
the stinging nettles being so high, as they are a nuisance when she
gets the grandchildren out of the car (she is babysitter while her
daughter is at work). She did get them chopped down last year but was
very put out when they grew back. She seems to think that maintenance
is not required !!!! She took me to task once about weeding of
dandelions from my front garden, "They are so pretty, why are you
digging them up?", my reply was that "Yes they are a nice colour but
if I don't get rid of them that's all I'll have in the garden. Besides
you have more than enough of your own.............." She did not take
the hint !!

I don't really have a problem with the mess, as I do feel that
everyone should be able to live as they see fit, BUT we already have
visitors asking us about the junk yard opposite..........What about is
we ever want to sell the house ????

Not that we do, as yet, want to move, but we will one day. Should I
offer to help her out with the stinging nettles and in the process
cautiously have a clear up ??

Any other ideas about how to tackle the situation ??

Jenny

Old 05-01-2003, 11:43 AM
Natalie

[...]

Jenny...if she was surprised and put out that the stinging nettles grew back
maybe she would welcome some help (and it would be a very neighbourly thing
to offer to do) but I wouldn't get rid of anything else without her
permission.

We had a very eccentric old Polish man living round the corner to us who
collected rubbish; stored it both inside and outside his very large house.
This was such a problem that they made a television programme about him.
The council cleared all the rubbish from his garden and as soon as they
finished he started collecting again. He died last year...

Natalie

Old 05-01-2003, 12:06 PM
MC Emily

Natalie wrote:

We had a very eccentric old Polish man living round the corner to us
who collected rubbish; stored it both inside and outside his very
large house. This was such a problem that they made a television
programme about him. The council cleared all the rubbish from his
garden and as soon as they finished he started collecting again. He
died last year...

I watched every programme featuring that poor man, including the recent one
after his death. I felt his biggest 'problem', if you can call it that, was
not his garden but his mental health problems and yet no one took that into
account (that was certainly the impression given by the programmes although
it could of course have been different in reality). The council's attempt
at getting him to clear his rubbish was as dictotorial as the Germans had
been to him during the war. The collecting of rubbish and other things was
an subconscious attempt to regain control of his life and retain things
rather than have them forcibly taken away. Rather than help this poor man
they actually made his troubles worse. Rather than eccentric, a better
description of this man would be mentally ill. Of course, I don't doubt
that his habits caused problems for his neighbours and I wouldn't want to
live near it either but it's just a shame that people didn't see the man
amongst the rubbish.

Jaqy

Old 05-01-2003, 12:06 PM
JennyC

"Natalie" wrote in message

This thread has triggered a discussion in our household about the
rights people have to do as they wish with their own plot....

We had a very eccentric old Polish man living round the corner to us

who
collected rubbish; stored it both inside and outside his very large

house.
This was such a problem that they made a television programme about

him.
The council cleared all the rubbish from his garden and as soon as

they
finished he started collecting again. He died last year...
Natalie

I saw that on TV - it was indeed far worse than our neighbour :~))
Jenny

Old 05-01-2003, 12:15 PM
Natalie

"
[...]

People did try to help Mr Trebus. Nobody was able to get through to him.
If you recall in the last programme, there was one man who had taken it upon
himself to help Mr Trebus but even he gave up.

His neighbours were extremely tolerant considering the health hazard.

Natalie

Old 05-01-2003, 12:52 PM
MC Emily

Natalie wrote:

People did try to help Mr Trebus. Nobody was able to get through to
him. If you recall in the last programme, there was one man who had
taken it upon himself to help Mr Trebus but even he gave up.

That man was a self-styled entrepreneur, if I remember right, and was
certainly not a mental health professional.

His neighbours were extremely tolerant considering the health hazard.

Oh absolutely! I have no doubt that it was a terrific hazard and the smell
must have been awful but the people sent to deal with it were only ever
going to clear the effects, not the cause.

Jaqy

Old 05-01-2003, 09:03 PM
Jon Rouse

In article , .
writes
People *do* get prosecuted for incorrect spraying of chemicals, as the
farmer who farms the field next to me is finding out!! 3 times I've asked
him not to allow the drift to come onto my land (we have sheep and horses
grazing), so by the 4th time I'd had enough. The HSE have taken it up and
it's going to Magistrates Court soon. Of course I doubt this will carry a
sentence, which is not what I would want anyway. More likely he'll be
heavily fined, as during their investigation they found a catalogue of
non-compliance.

You've done better than us then, when I finally tracked down the correct
department in the council they sent out someone from the Parks
department who looked at our brown hedge, and told me that glyphosphate
wasn't a systemic weedkiller and as the wood was green under the bark it
would all grow back. Of course it didn't, and as we have no idea who
farms the land (probably some overseas multinational) we have no way of
taking it further.

Jon
--
Jon Rouse