GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   plum recommendations (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/90726-re-plum-recommendations.html)

Jiri Borsky 09-03-2005 07:38 PM

plum recommendations

wrote:

Hi,

I was thinking of getting a plum tree (in another post I posted about
problems with a peach tree, so I may have second thoughts!).

Which varieties do you recommend? I have done some research that
seemed to recommend Marjorie's seedling as it can be used for desert
and culinary uses. I guess I am mainly interested in something that I
can eat straight off the tree, but the potential for culinary use
would be useful (anyone got any recipes, plum sauce to accompany duck
perhaps?)

Thanks for your help.

I have both Marjorie's Seedling and Victoria in my garden (Midlands).
MS begins to ripen just as V is tailing off.

Some years, depending on weather, MS produced somewhat insipid fruit.
If I had room for just one tree, it would be Victoria.

Jiri Borsky

Jeff 09-03-2005 11:18 PM

Jiri Borsky wrote:

I have both Marjorie's Seedling and Victoria in my garden (Midlands).
MS begins to ripen just as V is tailing off.

Some years, depending on weather, MS produced somewhat insipid fruit.
If I had room for just one tree, it would be Victoria.

Jiri Borsky

I'll second that Jiri!
Had a Victoria for 5 years now; it's supposed to be a biennial fruiter
but ours has been full of fruit every year.
Taste lovely straight from the tree and use them for cooking as well.

Jeff

Miss Perspicacia Tick 10-03-2005 03:34 AM

Jiri Borsky wrote:
wrote:

Hi,

I was thinking of getting a plum tree (in another post I posted about
problems with a peach tree, so I may have second thoughts!).

Which varieties do you recommend? I have done some research that
seemed to recommend Marjorie's seedling as it can be used for desert
and culinary uses. I guess I am mainly interested in something that I
can eat straight off the tree, but the potential for culinary use
would be useful (anyone got any recipes, plum sauce to accompany duck
perhaps?)

Thanks for your help.

I have both Marjorie's Seedling and Victoria in my garden (Midlands).
MS begins to ripen just as V is tailing off.

Some years, depending on weather, MS produced somewhat insipid fruit.
If I had room for just one tree, it would be Victoria.

Jiri Borsky

Thought we had two Victoria's - turns out one is a Marjorie's Seedling -
both are very prolific croppers (and we get to eat what the wasps leave us!)
on salads.

Miss Perspicacia Tick 12-03-2005 06:56 PM

wrote:
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 03:34:43 -0000, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
wrote:

Thought we had two Victoria's - turns out one is a Marjorie's
Seedling - both are very prolific croppers (and we get to eat what
the wasps leave us!)

Hi,

Since you grow both side by side, what do you consider the advantages
and disadvantages of each? Since you thought they were the same, I am
guessing there is not much difference?

I always thought the Victoria was red and Marjorie's was purple, but
that's just based on the pictures on the labels at the garden centre!

Thanks.

I will have to make a confession here - I know next to nothing about
anything horticultural, that's my father's department. I just came here
looking for a plant ID and liked the company so much I stayed. But, now I
come to think if it, one does have slightly reddish fruits. They're both
heavy croppers (if you can figure out how to keep the wasps away!) and make
fantastic pies, crumbles, jams, etc.

I will also add that I'm not sure my father planted them, I think they were
here when they moved in.

Please don't think I'm a gardener - I'm not.

--
In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol:
http://www.dts-l.org/