Old 15-03-2005, 06:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Mike" writes:

| In both cases, they involve a lot of bullshit?
|
| I am afraid as far as the Army was concerned, that is certainly the case,
| but for the Senior Service not so, and as far as the RAF not so, take a look
| at www.nsrafa.com . Now if the was the bull excrement from there, would
| that be such a successful and growing Association?

RAF people are traditionally known for referring to much of what
they are put through as bullshit - see the memoires of Aircraftman
Shaw for several references :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-03-2005, 07:58 PM
Mike

Though I have to say it made
me, goodness knows what would have happened if I had not become an RAF
Apprentice.

:-))

We had 480 ex RAF National Servicemen on Parade at RAF Cosford last year,
the first year we did a parade. This year it has to be limited to 720 for
reasons of space alone. I already have two coach loads staying at the hotel
in Coventry, I expect it to reach three.

I have been dealing with ex National Servicemen of the Royal Navy and Royal
Air Force now for about 3 years. Only ONE has said it was a waste of time.

Bring back National Service.

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Spitfire Fly Past

Old 15-03-2005, 08:49 PM
Broadback

I too think National Service was a good thing, it took teenagers in
their most aggressive years and channelled their energies elsewhere.
However I have to say, as and ex regular, that the end of National
Service improved the conditions in the services beyond recognition. as
usual there are two sides to everything.

.

--
Please do not email me at
All emails to that address are automatically
Old 15-03-2005, 09:15 PM
Mike

"Broadback" wrote in message
I too think National Service was a good thing, it took teenagers in
their most aggressive years and channelled their energies elsewhere.
However I have to say, as and ex regular, that the end of National
Service improved the conditions in the services beyond recognition. as
usual there are two sides to everything.

I was very lucky in that I did my National Service in the Royal Navy, and
very few of us there were, so consequently we had it very good and were
treated in the same way as the Regulars were, with a very, very few minor
differences. For example and this was 'a major difference', the regulars
were issued with a lovely big white terry towelling bath towel :-)) I had to
buy mine for 10/= (50 pence to you youngsters). The trade training was the
same, as was the food, the living accommodation, the duties etc etc etc.
With regards to trade training, after I came out I applied for a job on the
old GPO Telephones and my H.M.S.Collingwood Course notes got me the job. I
took my books to the interview and when asked what they were and I
explained, it was a case of 'When can you start?'

THAT is the sort of NS I would like to see come back, none of the stupid
things shown in "Lads Army" on TV a short while back. That was crap and
'played out' for TV.

The total figures for National Service under the 1947 Act make interesting
reading. 1,132,972 for the Army, 388,907 for the RAF and only 90,700 for the
Royal Navy!! They could afford to treat us well ;-))

Mike

Old 15-03-2005, 10:53 PM

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:25:34 +0000 (UTC), "Mike" wrote:

A robust Liverpudlian answer sent her on her way!

as much as I detest the loathsome vermin, A) I wouldn't hurt one and B) I
get on very well with all of my neighbours and wouldn't want to upset one in
such a way, but, the cats one side were a nuisance and I was talking with
her in the front garden yesterday, when neighbour the other side comes and
asks about the cat deterrent. If you are honest with people and talk with
them, you can live in harmony. The trouble comes when one starts ruling the
roost, a street 'net nanny'. Sooooon to be taken down a peg or two.

Mike

seems that many more people have cats now instead of dogs ..... don't
have to take them for walks + clean up the crap u see ( somebody
else's problem ! ) Why don't owners have to have a licence with
animal wearing a tag as proof presumably then it would deter all &
sundry from having a mog going forth and multiplying . Owners would be
made responsible for their pets + could be traced etc.
Those not showing ID could be dealt with as any other wild creature
......... the feline species I mean ;-)

Old 15-03-2005, 11:24 PM
Mike

.. Owners would be
made responsible for their pets + could be traced etc.

They wouldn't are, they don't care now.

Old 15-03-2005, 11:51 PM
Phil L

Mike wrote:
:: . Owners would be
::: made responsible for their pets + could be traced etc.
::
:: They wouldn't are, they don't care now.

I think you are being unrealistic.
I'm not a fan of cats, never have been but you are blaming cat owners for
what cats get up to in general, IE shit in your lobelias.
I'd wager that the majority of cats you used to see prior to getting your
patented cat-scarer-awayer, were in fact feral cats - wild ones decended
from the humble house moggy...it's not their fault that braindead mutants
purchased their ancestors and then kicked them out to live wild, thus
spawning a horde of offspring as they are wont to do - cats are very
prolific breeders and are prolific hunters too, maybe if dogs could adapt as
well to such conditions there would be millions of them roaming wild but
they can't.
Cats naturally roam free so it's pointless you going banging on your
neighbours door every time felix curls one off under the roses...what would
you like them to do about it?...cats cannot be contained like a dog, dogs
don't climb walls, fences and trees, so there's no stopping cats from doing
what they naturally do, and anyway, do you also have a badger, fox, rodent
and rabbit repellant too? - if not you are discriminating against cats and
are just using shit as an excuse.

JM2P

--

http://www.blueyonder256k.myby.co.uk/

Old 16-03-2005, 12:02 AM
Sacha

On 15/3/05 22:51, in article ,
"Phil L" wrote:

Mike wrote:
:: . Owners would be
::: made responsible for their pets + could be traced etc.
::
:: They wouldn't are, they don't care now.

I think you are being unrealistic.snip

And all of you replying to this thread are falling into the regular troll
trap that Crowe sets. He thinks he's one helluva fella and does this all
the time. He appears to have nothing better to do than bait you.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-03-2005, 12:10 AM
Phil L

Sacha wrote:
:: On 15/3/05 22:51, in article
:: , "Phil L"
:: wrote:
::
::: Mike wrote:
::::: . Owners would be
:::::: made responsible for their pets + could be traced etc.
:::::
::::: They wouldn't are, they don't care now.
:::
::: I think you are being unrealistic.snip
::
:: And all of you replying to this thread are falling into the
:: regular troll trap that Crowe sets. He thinks he's one helluva
:: fella and does this all the time. He appears to have nothing
:: better to do than bait you.

Thanks for the info but I've been around usenet long enough to recognise a
troll when I walk over his bridge.

FWIW I think if someone is having a problem with cats then these threads may
help in some way...sure they're not *exactly* gardening as such but how do
you differentiate between a thread about slug infestation and one about cat
infestation?
BTW I have approximately forty feral cats living a few hundred yards away, I
don't think I've ever seen one in the garden though but we do have a dog.

--

http://www.blueyonder256k.myby.co.uk/

Old 16-03-2005, 09:24 AM
Mike

:::
::: I think you are being unrealistic.snip

Not at all, just being very truthful and the truth always hurts someone.

::
:: And all of you replying to this thread are falling into the
:: regular troll trap that Crowe sets. He thinks he's one helluva
:: fella and does this all the time. He appears to have nothing
:: better to do than bait you.

Thanks for the info but I've been around usenet long enough to recognise a
troll when I walk over his bridge.

FWIW I think if someone is having a problem with cats then these threads

may
help in some way...sure they're not *exactly* gardening as such but how do
you differentiate between a thread about slug infestation and one about

cat
infestation?

Thank you. You see you have been 'net nannied', more than likely by a Vermin
owner his/ (but I suspect her) self who is blind to the problems he/she
presents to other gardeners.

And as I said before, is very selfish.

and I haven't recommended it for quite some time, but carpet grippers along
the tops of fences prevents the vermin trying to scratch YOUR fence to bits.

Mike
who has a 'cat crap' free garden :-))

Old 16-03-2005, 05:11 PM

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 22:51:44 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

Mike wrote:
[...]

What a load of crap!
Ah but these are NOT wild cats, foxes, badgers or anything else that
foul my property ( yep I do no the difference ... )
but neighbours feline fancies - I'm surrounded by cat owners most have
2 or more ...... and I've caught them at it tho they come back at
night ! Oh that they would just confine the mess to the borders but
its usually on the lawn , my drive & once just otside my front door on
decorative gravel - the smell was unbearable. What do people feed them
on ?
Many of my clients ( the more responsible ones ) assure me that their
moggies only crap in the litter tray they provide so I would suggest
that the others can't be bothered or just want to save money - after
all they never have shit in their back yard do they ?
I am seriously thinking of trying out one of these gizmos and if it
works I know many others who want them as well HALLELUJA !

Old 16-03-2005, 05:26 PM
Mike

Called the Cat and Dog Repelleer, it works off 2 x 9 volt batteries and is a
small and very portable unit and is easy to hide. It is made by STV
International Ltd 2002 at Little Cressingham in Norfolk

Mike
with a cat crap free garden

Old 16-03-2005, 08:44 PM
Phil L

:: What a load of crap!
:: Ah but these are NOT wild cats, foxes, badgers or anything else
:: that foul my property ( yep I do no the difference ... )
:: but neighbours feline fancies - I'm surrounded by cat owners most
:: have 2 or more ...... and I've caught them at it tho they come
:: back at night ! Oh that they would just confine the mess to the
:: borders but its usually on the lawn , my drive & once just otside
:: my front door on decorative gravel - the smell was unbearable.
:: What do people feed them on ?

Cat food would be my guess.
What does yours smell of - roses?

:: Many of my clients ( the more responsible ones ) assure me that
:: their moggies only crap in the litter tray they provide so I would
:: suggest that the others can't be bothered or just want to save
:: money - after all they never have shit in their back yard do they ?

What a pile of drivel!
How do 'responsible' cat owners know that their beloved don't crap elsewhere
apart from the litter tray? - they can't follow them around all day....no
*all* cats are effectively wild cats - once they're through the door they
are a law unto themselves, bleating about it will make no difference
whatsoever.

:: I am seriously thinking of trying out one of these gizmos and if
:: it works I know many others who want them as well HALLELUJA !

My experience tells me that they do work...for a limited time, once the cats
get used to it they just ignore it.

--

http://www.blueyonder256k.myby.co.uk/

Old 16-03-2005, 08:48 PM
huLLy

Phil L wrote:

My experience tells me that they do work...for a limited time, once
the cats get used to it they just ignore it.

Theatrical maroons carefully positioned around the garden.. moggies will
never forget them, as they will be blown all over the garden.. Also leaves a
useful crater for planting mature trees...
--
huLLy
VOIP SIP Phone Number 4823176 on Global Village

Bloody VERMIN Cats again, and again, and again, and again....:-(((( Mike United Kingdom 22 03-05-2005 01:59 PM
Vermin Cats Mike United Kingdom 34 28-02-2005 01:35 AM
Keeping the vermin out. Mick C. Metosis Gardening 3 07-07-2004 01:02 AM
re Keeping the vermin out. Mick C. Metosis Gardening 0 04-07-2004 10:02 PM
re Keeping the vermin out. Mick C. Metosis Gardening 0 04-07-2004 09:03 PM