Old 15-03-2005, 04:17 PM
John

Default Dripping silver birch

I had two silver birch trees lopped a few weeks ago. I noticed during the
freezing weather one of them had a cap of ice on one or two occasions.
Today the same tree is dripping from two of the lopped branches making the
ground beneath quite wet. Is this usual?

John

Old 15-03-2005, 04:26 PM
Pam Moore

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:17:51 +0000 (UTC), "John"
wrote:

I had two silver birch trees lopped a few weeks ago. I noticed during the
freezing weather one of them had a cap of ice on one or two occasions.
Today the same tree is dripping from two of the lopped branches making the
ground beneath quite wet. Is this usual?

If you collect the sap you can make wine with it!

Pam in Bristol
Old 15-03-2005, 04:40 PM
John

" Today the same tree is dripping from two of the lopped branches making
the
ground beneath quite wet. Is this usual?

If you collect the sap you can make wine with it!

Pam in Bristol

What's coming out is like water and fairly tasteless. I thought sap for
drinking or making wine with was quite sweet.

John

Old 15-03-2005, 04:49 PM
Mike

What's coming out is like water and fairly tasteless. I thought sap for
drinking or making wine with was quite sweet.

John

Dry Wine?

Old 15-03-2005, 04:56 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"John" writes:

| " Today the same tree is dripping from two of the lopped branches making
| the ground beneath quite wet. Is this usual?
|
| If you collect the sap you can make wine with it!
|
| What's coming out is like water and fairly tasteless. I thought sap for
| drinking or making wine with was quite sweet.

It makes a very weak wine if used as is, or it can be boiled down.
Maple syrup is the result of boiling away a LOT of water, and birch
is the same.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 15-03-2005, 05:00 PM
Mike

What's coming out is like water and fairly tasteless. I thought sap for
drinking or making wine with was quite sweet.

John

Dry White?

Old 15-03-2005, 07:55 PM
p00kie

"John" wrote in message
I had two silver birch trees lopped a few weeks ago. I noticed during the
freezing weather one of them had a cap of ice on one or two occasions.
Today the same tree is dripping from two of the lopped branches making
the
ground beneath quite wet. Is this usual?

John

I believe birches are known to bleed a fair bit!