Old 15-03-2005, 08:52 PM
Broadback

Default 4 bed rotation to 3 bed removing brassicas for space?

Gardening is all about compromise, in the long run nature will not be
beaten. Logically potatoes should be discarded, as they take up so much
room. However to lose the taste of new potatoes! SIGH

keith ;-) wrote:

All 4 beds are new,this is my first veg garden.I am finding like most I cant
fit every thing in ,so I was thinking of ditching the brassica bed and
making two beds into one larger bed,if this makes sense.
I am getting confused now!!

--
Please do not email me at
All emails to that address are automatically
Old 16-03-2005, 07:52 AM
Alan Gould

In article , keith ;-)
writes
All 4 beds are new,this is my first veg garden.I am finding like most I cant
fit every thing in ,so I was thinking of ditching the brassica bed and
making two beds into one larger bed,if this makes sense.
I am getting confused now!!

Basically vegetable growing is done either on raised beds or by row
cropping. As you are placed, row cropping would probably be a simpler
way to set about the job until you have a little more experience. In all
there are seven main vegetable plant families, but strict rotation is
more important to the brassicas, which include swede, turnip, radish,
kohlrabi all the greens etc, and to the solanums which include potatoes,
tomatoes, peppers, aubergines etc. If you are growing onions and
carrots, it is a good idea to alternate rows of those, then they help to
protect each other form aphids. Try not to crowd the plants or to push
them on too fast with over feeding.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.