Old 16-03-2005, 07:12 PM
David

Default lawnmower question

Just tried to cut my lawn and my petrol rotary mower keep cutting out with
loud bands and some even had flames banging out of the exhaust ?

any ideas ?

David

Old 16-03-2005, 07:56 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"David" wrote in message
Just tried to cut my lawn and my petrol rotary mower keep cutting out with
loud bands and some even had flames banging out of the exhaust ?

any ideas ?

Should have had it serviced over winter?

Sounds like an ignition problem, possibly timing.

You may find that there is a queue at the moment in the lawnmower repair
shop.

This is why you get cheap deals over winter, and the price goes up in
spring.

There is no real logical reason why a lawnmower which worked O.K. in the
autumn doesn't work in spring.

However......

Cheers
Dave R

Old 16-03-2005, 08:01 PM
Mike

There is no real logical reason why a lawnmower which worked O.K. in the
autumn doesn't work in spring.

Ah!! Christmas tree lights syndrome :-))

Mike

Old 16-03-2005, 09:10 PM
David

There is no real logical reason why a lawnmower which worked O.K. in the
autumn doesn't work in spring.

Ah!! Christmas tree lights syndrome :-))

sort off my kids thought it was great the flashes and bangs, although my
half cut lawn looks rediculous.

David

Old 16-03-2005, 09:35 PM
Sla#s

"David" wrote in message
Just tried to cut my lawn and my petrol rotary mower keep cutting out with
loud bands and some even had flames banging out of the exhaust ?

any ideas ?

Weak mixture. To test theory, does it run better with a little bit of choke?
Did you drain the fuel from it to store over winter?
99% of problems I have with garden machinery are caused by folk just
switching it off then putting it away for four months.
Cure - clean the jets.
Timing is when it will not start or kicks back badly - usually caused by
sheared flywheel key.

The correct way to store an engine is to drain out all the fuel from the
tank, then start it up and run it until it stops, (when the remaining fuel
in the carburettor float bowl is all used up).
A wee puff of WD 40 in the air intake as it slows down also helps but you
will have to remove the air filter first.

Slatts
(Briggs & Strattons and Hondas a speciality :-)

Old 16-03-2005, 10:45 PM
David

Weak mixture. To test theory, does it run better with a little bit of
choke?
Did you drain the fuel from it to store over winter?
99% of problems I have with garden machinery are caused by folk just
switching it off then putting it away for four months.

ah, I must confess to adding new petrol to the mix when filling the tank. It
seems obvious now I should not have done that

David

Old 16-03-2005, 11:19 PM
w.g.s.hamm

"David" wrote in message
Just tried to cut my lawn and my petrol rotary mower keep cutting out with
loud bands and some even had flames banging out of the exhaust ?

any ideas ?

David

Use an electric one?

Old 17-03-2005, 01:40 PM
shazzbat

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"David" wrote in message
Just tried to cut my lawn and my petrol rotary mower keep cutting out

with
loud bands and some even had flames banging out of the exhaust ?

any ideas ?

Should have had it serviced over winter?

Sounds like an ignition problem, possibly timing.

You may find that there is a queue at the moment in the lawnmower repair
shop.

This is why you get cheap deals over winter, and the price goes up in
spring.

There is no real logical reason why a lawnmower which worked O.K. in the
autumn doesn't work in spring.

Yes there is. or rather there are several. Stale fuel does not help, also
piston rings get gummed up and do not seal properly until they have been
through a few heat cycles. also cylinder bores get rusty.

Ignition timing is a possibility as an advance retard mechanism may be
seized up. also a burnt out valve, assuming the engine is four-stroke.

Steve