Old 11-01-2003, 05:53 PM
HaaRoy

Default Which beer in the slugtrap ?

Is there any preffered beer ?
Guiness better than Youngs Special ?

www.ihatesugs.com
says pellets are nasty

Old 11-01-2003, 07:09 PM
Martin Sykes

I had a crate of very cheap mexican stuff which I understandably didn't
drink so it got left for a year in the garage after which it was very
fruity. It works like a dream in slug-traps.

Martin

Old 11-01-2003, 07:12 PM

"HaaRoy" wrote in message
news : Is there any preffered beer ?
: Guiness better than Youngs Special ?
:
: www.ihatesugs.com
: says pellets are nasty
:
Here it would have to be London Pride :O))

Old 12-01-2003, 12:51 AM
Scott L. Hadley

I always use the cheapest. I can't imagine treating these loathsome
creatures to any of the good stuff you have in Britain. Now that we're
finally producing some good beer here in the states, my inclination to use
the cheapest is even stronger. It can also be stale, flat, or otherwise
unused or unsuitable for drinking beer of any make, as far as I know.

Old 12-01-2003, 10:07 AM
Thomas Prufer

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 17:53:05 +0000, HaaRoy wrote:

Is there any preffered beer ?

A mix of a little yeast and a lot of water will work just as well and
is considerably cheaper. Ordinary baker's yeast, dried or fresh. Add a
little sugar to the mix and it will grow, so you can use even less
yeast.

Thomas Prufer
Old 12-01-2003, 10:57 AM
Rufus

Better still, why not have a go at brewing your own? Buy a 5 gallon beer kit
and if it turns out okay, bottle and drink it yourself. If not keep it for
the slugs and the snails. You'll have lots of fun brewing and they'll all
die happy if it all turns out unfit for human consumption.

Rufus
----------------

Old 12-01-2003, 03:37 PM
Bazza

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 17:53:05 +0000, HaaRoy
wibbled:

www.ihatesugs.com

I'm rather surprised that someone dislikes the lead singer of Madness
so much that they've started a website. He always struck me as quite a
pleasant chap.

Barry Smith bazzas at btinternet.com
Wainwright's History of the AUTOMOTIVE ENGINE
Old 12-01-2003, 03:44 PM
HaaRoy

www.ihateslugs.com

Old 12-01-2003, 06:24 PM
Jon Green

HaaRoy wrote:

Is there any preffered beer ?

Anything sufficiently malty. It seems (to me) to be the smell of the
malt that attracts them.

Jon
--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE! Replace 'deadspam' with 'green-lines' to reply in email.
Want a free solution to email spam? Try http://www.deadspam.com/

Old 13-01-2003, 08:04 PM
Drakanthus

"Rufus" wrote in message
news
Better still, why not have a go at brewing your own? Buy a 5 gallon beer
kit
and if it turns out okay, bottle and drink it yourself. If not keep it for
the slugs and the snails. You'll have lots of fun brewing and they'll all
die happy if it all turns out unfit for human consumption.

Rufus

I used to use the dregs from the bottom of my 5 gallon homebrew for the
slugs. It did the job nicely. It got a bit tedious emptying the dish of
slugs and refilling with dregs. Since I don't brew my own anymore its back
to the blue pellets of death.
--
Drakanthus.

( Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the
subject line or emails will never reach me.)

Old 13-01-2003, 08:32 PM

A long deceased market gardener friend of ours told us that slugs were
attracted to sugar in plants-transplanted lettuces contained more sugar
and this is why he preferred to thin out his lettuce seedlings rather than
transplant.
Slugs have definite potato preferences. King Edwards are a favorite with
slugs and this may be related to higher sugar levels.
Beer with added sugar, fermenting mixture or sweet stout seem to be good
bets

"Jon Green" wrote in message
HaaRoy wrote:

Is there any preffered beer ?

Anything sufficiently malty. It seems (to me) to be the smell of the
malt that attracts them.

Jon
--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE! Replace 'deadspam' with 'green-lines' to reply in

email.
Want a free solution to email spam? Try http://www.deadspam.com/
(Declaration of interest: I own/run the domain.)

Slugs and beer Lemmonie United Kingdom 13 05-07-2004 03:06 PM
Crickets like beer and slugs seek revenge Heidi Gardening 25 25-08-2003 04:22 AM
Beer and Soap for the lawn u deserve a bud Gardening 5 22-08-2003 08:02 AM
Slugs and beer! Buzzy Gardening 16 11-06-2003 01:56 PM
Beer dreams Robert cubitt United Kingdom 5 20-11-2002 07:50 PM