Old 11-01-2003, 01:52 AM
Steve Harris

Default How to annoy the pigeons?

My new kitchen garden is being watched by half a dozen pigeons from
their favourite rooftop about 40' away. I also have a couple of resident
blackbirds.

I'm planning my crops and I want to annoy and disappoint them :-) What
do the team suggest?

Currently I have/planned:

Apple tree Ashmeads Kernal planted
Blueberry Bluecrop planted
Broad Beans "The Sutton" and "masterpiece green longpod" planted
Courgette "Zuccinni F1" planned
Field Beans as a cover crop/green manure planted
Gooseberry Leveller planted
Leek Musselborough planned
Physalis (Cape Gooseberry) planned
Radish Saxa
Raspberry Autumn Bliss planted
Strawberry Aromel planned
Tomato gardeners delight planned

Comments?

Also, none of the pigoens have landed in the garden yet but if they do,
can I legally shoot them with my air rifle?

Thanks!

Old 11-01-2003, 03:37 AM
ned

Steve Harris wrote:
My new kitchen garden is being watched by half a dozen pigeons from
their favourite rooftop about 40' away. I also have a couple of
resident blackbirds.

snip
Comments?

..............A string of fluttering CDs between the bean poles
wouldn't go amiss.

Also, none of the pigoens have landed in the garden yet but if they
do, can I legally shoot them with my air rifle?

....................If they are feral, oh yes.
If they are homers ~ probably not.

--
ned

Old 11-01-2003, 10:59 PM
emuir

You can only shoot them legally if they are causing a public health problem,
on that count self licensing is adequate to destroy this otherwise protected
bird. Full information can be gained on the UK Gov website though I'm sorry
I don't have the full address.

I had a problem with seagulls using the back yard of the restaurant I used
to own in Cornwall as a lavatory. When I checked, it was against the law to
shoot them on Sundays. They seemed to know this and spent more time
roosting and making that nerve jarring noise. When I did finally shoot one,
every seagull in the surrounding area circled the building for an hour or so
on full squawk using the tips of their wings to point at me accusingly. I
thought I would be busted by the self appointed moral guardians of the
village and be tarred and feathered. I got away with it and won the battle,
but the gulls won the war.

Old 12-01-2003, 12:17 AM
Alan Holmes

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
My new kitchen garden is being watched by half a dozen pigeons from
their favourite rooftop about 40' away. I also have a couple of resident
blackbirds.

I'm planning my crops and I want to annoy and disappoint them :-) What
do the team suggest?

In the trap I have for squirrels, I once found a pigeon in, I had baited it
with
peanuts to attract the squirrles, but the pigeon found it attractive as
well.

Then you have to dispose of it!

Alan

Old 12-01-2003, 01:48 AM
ned

emuir wrote:
You can only shoot them legally if they are causing a public health
problem, on that count self licensing is adequate to destroy this
otherwise protected bird.

.............. I don't think you will find that the pigeon is protected
in rural communities.
Unless there has been some very recent legislation.

Full information can be gained on the UK
Gov website though I'm sorry I don't have the full address.

............. I would welcome the website addy if you can find it.

--
ned

Old 12-01-2003, 02:08 AM
Alan Gabriel

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
In the trap I have for squirrels, I once found a pigeon in, I had baited

it
with
peanuts to attract the squirrles, but the pigeon found it attractive as
well.

Then you have to dispose of it!

If it`s a nice fat wood pigeon, eat it. IMHO they are tastier than poultry.

--
Regards,
Alan.

Preserve wildlife - Pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.

Old 12-01-2003, 10:24 AM
Drakanthus

Then you have to dispose of it!

Alan

A reasonable disposal method is to pluck, gut, wrap in silver foil and pop
in the oven with the Sunday roast. The breasts are small but tasty.
--
Drakanthus.

( Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the
subject line or emails will never reach me.)

Old 12-01-2003, 11:41 PM
Gary Woods

"Essjay001" wrote:

Sorry but since when has a flying rat been protected?

Did the infamous Tom Lehrer make it across the pond?

In which case, am I the only one humming "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park?"

Seriously, a friend of mine used to raid nests under bridges for squabs at
the right stage, claimed they were tasty. The adults apparently are less
so, but the reference to small but tasty breasts intrigues me.

Old 13-01-2003, 12:10 AM

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
: "Essjay001" wrote:
:
: Sorry but since when has a flying rat been protected?
:
: Did the infamous Tom Lehrer make it across the pond?

He most certainly did - great stuff! I have 2 LPs. Are they on CD do you
know?
:
: In which case, am I the only one humming "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park?"

No :O))
:
: Seriously, a friend of mine used to raid nests under bridges for squabs at
: the right stage, claimed they were tasty. The adults apparently are less
: so, but the reference to small but tasty breasts intrigues me.
:
:
: Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at www.albany.net/~gwoods
: Zone 5/6 in upstate New York, 1200' elevation. NY WO G

Old 13-01-2003, 08:17 AM
David Rance

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, Gary Woods wrote:

Sorry but since when has a flying rat been protected?

Did the infamous Tom Lehrer make it across the pond?

Of course he did, but it *was* back in the late '50s!

In which case, am I the only one humming "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park?"

"All the world is in toon
On a spring afternoon
When we're........"

"When the birdies they see us,
They all go to try and hide
But they still go for peanuts
When coated with cyanide!"

My word, doesn't that bring back memories?

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS: ICHTHUS (Reading) +44-118-946-1466 | Reading, UK |

Old 13-01-2003, 10:21 AM
Kay Easton

In article , K
writes

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
.. .
: "Essjay001" wrote:
:
: Sorry but since when has a flying rat been protected?
:
: Did the infamous Tom Lehrer make it across the pond?

He most certainly did - great stuff! I have 2 LPs. Are they on CD do you
know?

Yes - and you can get a boxed set of all his songs on cd - which isn't
as much as you hope, because he threw it all up and went back to maths
professoring.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/
Old 13-01-2003, 11:22 AM

"David Rance" wrote in message
: On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, Gary Woods wrote:
:
: Sorry but since when has a flying rat been protected?
:
: Did the infamous Tom Lehrer make it across the pond?
:
: Of course he did, but it *was* back in the late '50s!
:
: In which case, am I the only one humming "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park?"
:
: "All the world is in toon
: On a spring afternoon
: When we're........"
:
: "When the birdies they see us,
: They all go to try and hide
: But they still go for peanuts
: When coated with cyanide!"
:
: My word, doesn't that bring back memories?
:
: --
: +--------------------------------------------------------+
: | Internet: | writing from |
: | Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
: | BBS: ICHTHUS (Reading) +44-118-946-1466 | Reading, UK |
: +--------------------------------------------------------+
:
It certainly does. It was a cult thing when I was in the 6th form - we all
used to go round singing all the songs at any opportunity we had.

Old 13-01-2003, 03:15 PM
Gary Woods

Kay Easton wrote:

Yes - and you can get a boxed set of all his songs on cd - which isn't
as much as you hope, because he threw it all up and went back to maths
professoring

I heard a radio interview with him a couple of months ago; he's
semi-retired but teaching a bit in Santa Cruz, California.
Asked why he gave up musical parody, he replied, "When Henry Kissinger won
the Nobel peace prize, I knew it was all over for me."

We now return you to the frozen garden and the lovely catalogs with their
promise of spring.