GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Spraying block drive question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/9113-spraying-block-drive-question.html)

Brian Hallett 10-01-2003 01:25 PM

Spraying block drive question

My large block drive and patio areas ( which are not in contact with
flower beds ) have become very weedy since autumn. I intend to spray
them with a long-lasting weed-killer and would like to know
1. What inexpensive spray gun to use, and
2. What long-lasting weed killer to use.
Thank you

bnd777 11-01-2003 06:56 PM

Spraying block drive question

Let that be a lesson to all who invest large sums in block paved drives
...........weeds !!!!!!!

Martin Sykes 11-01-2003 08:05 PM

Spraying block drive question

I just used a standard systemic weedkiller on my drive. I think it was
Tumbleweed. It's not particularly long-lasting so you need to re-apply
whenever new weeds show up but I'm happy with the results. It only takes 5
minutes to wander round and spray the weeds individually.

I have seen adverts for really nasty chemicals - can't remember their
names - which stop anything growing for 60-odd years. I'd be worried about
using them though as probably a lot would be washed off your drive into the
drains and out into the rivers where it could do real damage.

Martin

Alan Gould 12-01-2003 07:26 AM

Spraying block drive question

In article , Brian Hallett
writes
My large block drive and patio areas ( which are not in contact with
flower beds ) have become very weedy since autumn. I intend to spray
them with a long-lasting weed-killer and would like to know
1. What inexpensive spray gun to use, and
2. What long-lasting weed killer to use.
Thank you

We slice off weeds which grow between paving slabs with a spade. They
grow again of course, but then they do that following an application of
most popular weed-killers. A 'long-lasting' herbicide would be
sufficiently toxic to be unsuitable for use in areas used by children,
pets or visitors.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

cormaic 12-01-2003 04:57 PM

Spraying block drive question

'Twas Fri, 10 Jan 2003 12:25:02 +0000, when Brian Hallett
enriched all our lives with these worthy
thoughts:

My large block drive and patio areas ( which are not in contact with
flower beds ) have become very weedy since autumn. I intend to spray
them with a long-lasting weed-killer and would like to know
1. What inexpensive spray gun to use, and

Watering can with fine rose.

2. What long-lasting weed killer to use.

Sodium Chlorate, then treat the driveway with a top quality
urethane sealant, summat like Resiblock 22, which will keep the weeds
at bay for a good 3-5 years.

--
cormaic URG faqs/webring - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/
Culcheth Garden - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/garden/

cormaic CAN BE FOUND AT borlochshall.co.uk

Kay Easton 12-01-2003 05:59 PM

Spraying block drive question

In article , cormaic
writes
'Twas Fri, 10 Jan 2003 12:25:02 +0000, when Brian Hallett
enriched all our lives with these worthy
thoughts:

My large block drive and patio areas ( which are not in contact with
flower beds ) have become very weedy since autumn. I intend to spray
them with a long-lasting weed-killer and would like to know
1. What inexpensive spray gun to use, and

Watering can with fine rose.

2. What long-lasting weed killer to use.

Sodium Chlorate, then treat the driveway with a top quality
urethane sealant, summat like Resiblock 22, which will keep the weeds
at bay for a good 3-5 years.

Doesn't sodium chlorate tend to leach sideways?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/

cormaic 13-01-2003 12:25 PM

Spraying block drive question

'Twas Sun, 12 Jan 2003 16:59:36 +0000, when Kay Easton
enriched all our lives with these worthy
thoughts:

Doesn't sodium chlorate tend to leach sideways?

It leaches every which way, but it's still the preferred
herbicide in the construction industry. Even your beloved HA insist on
its use! :~)