Old 11-01-2003, 03:03 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Default Raw sewage. and causes.

James wrote in message
During the floods of last week, Thames water sewage plants couldn't
cope...and the backlog of untreated sewage filled the pipes, until it

burst
up and out of the drains... right into our back garden.

The result was 3 days of 6in deep sewage filled water covering a large
expanse of lawn and patio. Luckily none got in the house, but it is the
garden that I am concerned about.

After 3 days, the residue of sewage remained (the water soaked away), and

1
week later I am stil waiting for the "professional" clean-up of this toxic
stuff.

Question: Will the sewage adversely affect the lawn, or the Apple tree
(eaters), or the large clematis that it soaked? If this is not a bad
thing... will the "clean-up" with powerful detergents do more harm than
good?

Just to throw a spanner in the works take a look at............

http://www.sas.org.uk/campaign/health.asp

I'm interested as I suspect we don't live far away from each other. Luckily
the foods only got to within 300yds from our house but it was coming up
through the road drains in the next street.
I said over a year ago that the Flood Relief Channel at Maidenhead would
cause us some trouble as we would get the lot, but the Councillors I spoke
to said that was not true, it would all be held back there. Wonder what they
are saying now as the water table was nowhere near as high as two years ago!

Probably a good excuse to enable them to build the next one from just
downstream of Staines Railway Bridge and ending in Chertsey Weir without too
much local dissent.Trouble is that is designed to use Thorpe Park as a
holding lake but TP overflowed too this year! Then it will flow into the
Abbey River which will be enlarged, and eventually after passing through
Chertsey it flows back into the Thames.
I bet this "secret" completed plan gets aired shortly in public. :-)
Keep an eye out James.
--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 11-01-2003, 03:38 PM
James Collings

"Sue & Bob Hobden" wrote in message

James wrote in message
During the floods of last week, Thames water sewage plants couldn't
cope...and the backlog of untreated sewage filled the pipes, until it

burst
up and out of the drains... right into our back garden.

snip

I'm interested as I suspect we don't live far away from each other.

Luckily
the foods only got to within 300yds from our house but it was coming up
through the road drains in the next street.

We're on the Bucks/Oxon border. So I guess by the Thorpe Park/Chertsey stuff
we are a far way apart. It seems to be a common problem... and I wonder if
part of the cause may also be that in-fill building of houses is putting
extra pressure on existing sewer drains, and there are no upgrades occurring
to prevent this.

So additional housing is not only causing problems by building on Flood
plains... it is problematic no matter where the development takes
place......especially if there is insufficient planning/thought.