GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   "Scented Double Roses" (old-fashioned type) in Van Meuwen catalogue (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/91192-%22scented-double-roses%22-old-fashioned-type-van-meuwen-catalogue.html)

VX 20-03-2005 03:09 PM

"Scented Double Roses" (old-fashioned type) in Van Meuwen catalogue

In said catalogue there are some very interesting-looking roses, described
thus:

"Perfectly bred from traditional old roses they combine vast improvements in
scent, form, colour and repeat flowering ability..."

Yet these amazing roses do not have names other than "Scented pink double
rose" or (substitute white/apricot/gold/cerise/red).

I know that un-named plants can be really good, but with roses i suppose I'm
conditioned to expect an actual NAME. If they are that good, surely...?

Does anyone know anything about these?

If they are as good as the description then I need a few of these and in a
hurry.

Or if I need to be looking somewhere else for this sort of thing, do please
point the way!

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

Kay 20-03-2005 06:00 PM

In article m, VX
writes
In said catalogue there are some very interesting-looking roses, described
thus:

"Perfectly bred from traditional old roses they combine vast improvements in
scent, form, colour and repeat flowering ability..."

Yet these amazing roses do not have names other than "Scented pink double
rose" or (substitute white/apricot/gold/cerise/red).

I know that un-named plants can be really good, but with roses i suppose I'm
conditioned to expect an actual NAME. If they are that good, surely...?

Does anyone know anything about these?

If they are as good as the description then I need a few of these and in a
hurry.

Or if I need to be looking somewhere else for this sort of thing, do please
point the way!

David Austin does a lot with old fashioned form and good scent and so
on, and repeat flowering ability. And proper names ;-) How much cheaper
are these?
--
Kay

VX 20-03-2005 07:01 PM

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 18:00:23 +0000, Kay wrote
(in message ):

David Austin does a lot with old fashioned form and good scent and so
on, and repeat flowering ability. And proper names ;-) How much cheaper
are these?

These are £5.99 each or 6 (1 of each colour) for £17.97. And it does say
"normal retail value for these varieties is £12.99 each" but then lots of
companies say that sort of thing. I'd have to say though that for £3 each
these do look pretty good.

Does Van Meuwen have a reputation- of any kind?

And- is there a url for David Austin?

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

VX 20-03-2005 07:31 PM

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 19:01:23 +0000, VX wrote
(in message m):

I'd have to say though that for £3 each
these do look pretty good.

Ok, cancel my previous reply!

I've found the David Austin Roses web site and what he has there are The Real
Thing- they look wonderful. All the Van Meuwen ones look very similar to one
another, lack individuality and while nice, they do not compete, even at that
price. I'd rather have a couple of the really good ones than six of those.
Although if I had a large garden, I don't know, maybe some of each....

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

jay jay 21-03-2005 01:16 PM

[quote=VX]On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 19:01:23 +0000, VX wrote
(in message ):

I'd have to say though that for £3 each
these do look pretty good.

Ok, cancel my previous reply!

I've found the David Austin Roses web site and what he has there are The Real
Thing- they look wonderful. All the Van Meuwen ones look very similar to one
another, lack individuality and while nice, they do not compete, even at that
price. I'd rather have a couple of the really good ones than six of those.
Although if I had a large garden, I don't know, maybe some of each....

--

A word on scent though - very personal and not always easy to define. I choose my roses really carefully now after some initial disappointment. I have David Austin and Peter Beales catalogues to hand, compare their notes on fragrance etc. and then troll through google to get some confirmations one way or the other before I order - so far so good :))

jay jay

[email protected] 21-03-2005 01:22 PM

Although if I had a large garden, I don't know, maybe some of

each....

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

I would recommend buying a few and getting one of the deals DA often
has (if there arent any running at the moment i would be surprised). A
word of warning though! David Austin roses are addictive!
The (very beautiful) DA catalog recommends plant three of the same type
in the same spot to create a real impact. (There are lots of examples
of this in the lovely DA gardens in the midlands and it does look very
good - i think i would recommend this approach, especially if you have
a big garden)
sarah a

Janet Tweedy 22-03-2005 09:44 AM

In article m, VX
writes

I've found the David Austin Roses web site and what he has there are The Real
Thing- they look wonderful. All the Van Meuwen ones look very similar to one
another, lack individuality and while nice, they do not compete, even at that
price. I'd rather have a couple of the really good ones than six of those.
Although if I had a large garden, I don't know, maybe some of each....

I bought a Buff Beauty last year as two friends had it in their garden
and I loved the colour and the scent was wonderful. Trouble is, now I've
looked up the derails I have no idea where to put it as it appears to
grow fairly large if not to say, enormous :)
Make sure you know how big it's going to get before you buy! My poor
rose is still in a pot as I try to work out where I can make room for it
or perhaps prune it

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association

Dave Poole 23-03-2005 12:59 PM

Janet Tweedy wrote:

I bought a Buff Beauty last year as two friends had it in their garden
and I loved the colour and the scent was wonderful. Trouble is, now I've
looked up the derails I have no idea where to put it as it appears to
grow fairly large if not to say, enormous :)

Janet, Buff Beauty remains one of my favourite of the
old-fashioned-style roses, even though in real terms it is relatively
modern (mid- late 1930's or thereabouts). Now you can allow this to
run and given encouragement, it will faintly aspire to be a short
climber. However, you can also keep it well within bounds to around 4
feet across say and about the same in height. It will happily cope
with pruning down to around 2 feet or so in early spring and treated
as such, will keep well within bounds.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.