Old 21-03-2005, 08:59 PM
yammyr6

Default bind weed destruction

go on tell me im wasteing my time
but its peeing me off AS IT INVADES MY VEGIES every year
how do i stop it

Old 21-03-2005, 09:23 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
yammyr6 wrote:
go on tell me im wasteing my time

All right: you're wasting your time.

but its peeing me off AS IT INVADES MY VEGIES every year
how do i stop it

Emigrate. Try the high Arctic, deserts, or similar.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-03-2005, 10:47 PM
Smashing Pumpkin

Sandwich bags

http://tinyurl.com/4mbgz

Old 21-03-2005, 10:56 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
yammyr6 wrote:
go on tell me im wasteing my time

All right: you're wasting your time.

but its peeing me off AS IT INVADES MY VEGIES every year
how do i stop it

Emigrate. Try the high Arctic, deserts, or similar.

Sound counsel. But while you're saving up for the fare, does it come
in from outside, or is it confined to your own garden? If it's
home-grown, you have a chance of controlling it, and just conceivably
even knocking it out.

Stop digging near the source plants: it propagates readily from tiny
bits of root. Buy at least two pairs of cheap woolly gloves in the
market, and some surgical gloves at the chemist's. Then mix up some
glyphosate, don brand-new rubber surgical gloves on both hands and a
woolly one on your working hand. Soak the woolly glove in glyphosate,
and gently stroke every single bindweed stalk from the ground up with
it, wetting every leaf and taking care not to let the stalk touch the
green parts of any plant you like (this is, of course, impossible).
Do this again every six weeks or so, burning the gloves every time
(you have put the house on the market, haven't you?). When you get
the money, get out quickly so the bindweed won't follow you.

But it won't hurt your vegetables much if all you do is haul out the
offending plant material every so often: not a desirable situation,
but you'll get your crops.

--
Mike.

Old 22-03-2005, 06:40 AM
Alan Gould

In article , yammyr6
writes
go on tell me im wasteing my time
but its peeing me off AS IT INVADES MY VEGIES every year
how do i stop it

It is almost impossible to eliminate bindweed once it has become
established in your garden. It need not be too much of a problem though
if you regularly hoe or pull out the plants in places such as your veg.
plot or flower beds where it will threaten other plants. It will not
survive in a regularly mowed lawn and it can be ignored in hedges, path
borders etc.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 22-03-2005, 01:50 PM
Dwayne

Most of you wont want to hear this but I spray mine. In the spring I use a
pre-emergent to keep the bindweed seeds from germinating (You wont be able
to plant seeds in your garden after doing this. I plant them in the house
and then transplant into the treated area.).

Then the bindweed that came from roots get it with a broadleaf weed killer,
before the blooms make seeds. A friend of mine uses a weed killer that goes
to the roots and kills it there, only he carefully digs around the plant to
find the main root, cuts it and applies the weed killer undiluted to each
end of the root he just cut. He does this all around the area that is
infested. This is more time consuming, but seems to be more permanent.

Make your mind up that you wont get them all the first year. It took me two
seasons to knock out about 85% of them. This is the 3rd season and I am
sure there will be a few out there.

Dwayne

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , yammyr6