Old 12-01-2003, 03:46 PM
Paul England

Default Lemon Thyme Quest

Hallo, it's that time of the year again, when you look into the seed
catalogues and ask 'why are they so expensive.'
However, I have located all my flower, veg and herb seeds, with the
exception of lemon thyme.
Does anyone know who's selling 'em. They are not in Fothergills, Marshall's
or Chiltern's - unless I'm looking in the wrong place !
Regards ......... Paul

Old 12-01-2003, 04:37 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Paul
England writes
Hallo, it's that time of the year again, when you look into the seed
catalogues and ask 'why are they so expensive.'
However, I have located all my flower, veg and herb seeds, with the
exception of lemon thyme.
Does anyone know who's selling 'em. They are not in Fothergills, Marshall's
or Chiltern's - unless I'm looking in the wrong place !
Regards ......... Paul

There are several varieties of Lemon Thyme listed under the generic name
Thymus x citriodorous of which T.c.Aureus seems to be the best known.
The only example I've been able to trace in seed catalogues is Thymus x
citriodorous fragrantissimus which is listed as Orange Thyme by Halcyon
Seeds - e-mail: for free catalogue.

Plantfinder CD 2000/2001 lists the following suppliers of Lemon Thyme:

Thymus x citriodorus ‘Golden Lemon’ (v)

L W Plants, 23 Wroxham Way, Harpenden, Hertfordshire. Tel. (01582)
768467

Poyntzfield Herb Nursery, Nr Balblair, Black Isle, Dingwall, Ross &
Cromarty, Highland, Scotland.

Arne Herbs, Limeburn Nurseries, Limeburn Hill, Chew Magna, Avon. Tel.
(01275) 333399

Jekka's Herb Farm, Rose Cottage, Shellards Lane, Alveston, Bristol,
Avon. Tel. (01454) 418878
Wye Valley Plants, The Nurtons, Tintern, Chepstow, Gwent, Wales. Tel.
(01291) 689253
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:48 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Alan Gould
writes
In article , Paul
England writes
However, I have located all my flower, veg and herb seeds, with the
exception of lemon thyme.
Does anyone know who's selling 'em.

The only example I've been able to trace in seed catalogues is Thymus x
citriodorous fragrantissimus which is listed as Orange Thyme by Halcyon
Seeds - e-mail: for free catalogue.

Website:

http://www.halcyonseeds.co.uk/

You can buy online, or download a PDF of the printed catalogue (as well
as request printed one)

--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 13-01-2003, 04:24 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Chris French and Helen
Johnson writes
The only example I've been able to trace in seed catalogues is Thymus x
citriodorous fragrantissimus which is listed as Orange Thyme by Halcyon
Seeds - e-mail: for free catalogue.

Website:

http://www.halcyonseeds.co.uk/

You can buy online, or download a PDF of the printed catalogue (as well
as request printed one)

Thanks Chris, I'm glad to hear that Halcyon's website is now accessible.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 15-01-2003, 07:51 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Alan Gould
writes
In article , Chris French and Helen
Johnson writes
The only example I've been able to trace in seed catalogues is Thymus x
citriodorous fragrantissimus which is listed as Orange Thyme by Halcyon
Seeds - e-mail: for free catalogue.

Further to this, Chiltern Seeds have seed for T.x citriodorous
fragrantissimus listed as their item 1244j, and Bringsty Herbs have two
varieties of Lemon Thyme - Tel: 01886 821482
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 16-01-2003, 05:28 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Paul
England writes
Thanks Alan, Joan, Chris and Helen for the info. I have just taken over a
half share in an allotment, which has not been used for 10 years - loadsa
work plus loadsa extra space - I can indulge in several balms and thymes
plus a few extra herbs.
I don't know why Chiltern's didn't cross-refer 1244j from the herbs section
to the general section of their catalogue is a mystery ? Some people will
only look in herbs and veg and nowhere else.

This is an interesting point. Chilterns have six varieties of Thymus in
their general section including a marjoram and a hyssop, but 1244j is
the only one which is not given a 'popular' name as well as its Latin
one. They describe it as an 'unusual culinary herb' .... 'with a strong
and delicious scent of oranges'.

In the Chilterns herbs section only Thymus vulgaris (Common Thyme) is
offered. Halcyon seeds call the same plant Orange Thyme. Bringsty herbs
also call it Orange Thyme but they offer 36 varieties of Thmye including
Lemon, Lemon Curd, Lemon variegated, Golden Lemon and Golden King.
Deni Bown writing in the RHS Enc. of Herbs gives T.x citriodorous as
Lemon Thyme 'with a strong lemon scent'. Five varieties of it are listed
but T.x c. fragrantissimus is not mentioned.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 18-01-2003, 08:46 AM
Rob

"Paul England" wrote in message
Hallo, it's that time of the year again, when you look into the seed
catalogues and ask 'why are they so expensive.'
However, I have located all my flower, veg and herb seeds, with the
exception of lemon thyme.
Does anyone know who's selling 'em. They are not in Fothergills,

Marshall's
or Chiltern's - unless I'm looking in the wrong place !

Searched and found it listed here
http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/pages/herb4.htm

Lemon thyme seeds tathraman Australia 1 29-12-2011 12:35 AM
15' CecileBruner Tee-Pee Quest. [email protected] Roses 2 09-05-2005 06:39 PM
Woolly Adelgid Problem Quest. ? (live outside of Boston) Robert11 Gardening 4 20-06-2004 11:05 PM
A Quest for Fire...I mean...Potash BenignVanilla Ponds 58 31-07-2003 08:22 PM
Miniature Roses quest Linda Roses 0 05-05-2003 04:56 AM