GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Which liquid to clean my patio stone slabs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/91362-liquid-clean-my-patio-stone-slabs.html)

alan kearn 24-03-2005 08:06 AM

Which liquid to clean my patio stone slabs

Does anyone know of a cheap safe and effective stone cleaning liquid
to help in cleaning the rough stone surface of my patio. Yes I also use
a Pressure Washer.

Thanks

Alan

Colin Hammond 24-03-2005 09:57 AM

I use hypochlorite obtainable from agricultural suppliers. I make a 30%
solution and apply with a watering can. Whether it is safe? wear goggles,
gloves and wellingtons. Keep children and animals indoors.
oups.com...

Charlie Pridham 24-03-2005 11:19 AM

"alan kearn" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know of a cheap safe and effective stone cleaning liquid
to help in cleaning the rough stone surface of my patio. Yes I also use
a Pressure Washer.

Thanks

Alan

Washing soda, dissolve the crystals in water then apply.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Nigel Cliffe 24-03-2005 05:48 PM

alan kearn wrote:
Does anyone know of a cheap safe and effective stone cleaning liquid
to help in cleaning the rough stone surface of my patio. Yes I also
use a Pressure Washer.

I've just done mine with a hired pressure washer. Machine and chemical came
from HSS hire shop locally. I think the chemical was about £5 for a 1 gallon
container, which I then diluted 4:1 as per the instructions. It contained an
acid and something which foamed a little.

I applied it from a watering can, then set to pressure washing the whole
area. (quite a large area - 10ftx30ft plus 15ftx15ft and a double-width
drive of around 40 ft length). Seemed to work, as the few bits which I'd not
treated were a bit harder to shift.

Result: far from aesthetically perfect; I should have hired the washer for a
couple of days and done a second trip round to pick off various stubborn
bits.
However, it did the required job which was to remove the buildups which were
slippy in the wet.

Usual safety warning - wear mask, goggles, gloves, boots, etc. when using a
pressure washer.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Chris Hogg 24-03-2005 06:16 PM

On 24 Mar 2005 00:06:15 -0800, "alan kearn"
wrote:

Does anyone know of a cheap safe and effective stone cleaning liquid
to help in cleaning the rough stone surface of my patio. Yes I also use
a Pressure Washer.

Thanks

Alan

I'd use dilute bleach, but be careful with the run-off. It probably
won't do nearby plants any good. Whatever you use, don't use Jeyes
fluid. It'll stain the slabs and smell for weeks.

--
Chris

Magwitch 25-03-2005 11:34 PM

alan kearn muttered:

Does anyone know of a cheap safe and effective stone cleaning liquid
to help in cleaning the rough stone surface of my patio. Yes I also use
a Pressure Washer.

Thanks

Alan

Brick acid does the trick. Don't splash it on your clothes.