Old 14-01-2003, 06:34 PM
Rudi Baeten

Default Paprika - pepper

Hello,
About 10 years ago I took seed of a pepper in Italy. At home(in Belgium) I
got good plants and
good peppers out of that seed for about 7 years.
Every year I took fresh seed without any problem.
But two years ago I got,instead of normal peppers, very hot(spicy) peppers
in a complete other shape,Nl.in the form of little (about 5 cm) round bals.
Last year it was the same but the fruits were not
so spicy.
So I started with paprika plants and now I think that
I have the hot pepper plants.
Is it possible that my paprika plant has mutated into a pepper plant ? I'm
told that paprikas come
from pepper plants.
Sorry for my imperfect English.
regards

Old 15-01-2003, 12:39 AM
Gary Woods

"Rudi Baeten" wrote:

So I started with paprika plants and now I think that
I have the hot pepper plants.
Is it possible that my paprika plant has mutated into a pepper plant ?

Paprika _is_ a type of pepper, grown full-mature, dried and ground. Many
peppers cross-pollinate pretty readily, and the bad news is that "hot" is a
dominant trait.
Do you have any of the old seed left to go back to?
People that grow several pepper varieties for seed often cage them to
insure purity.

Pepper Pepper who's got the Pepper? Dan L. Gardening 2 04-04-2007 07:32 PM
paprika Sly boots 9 Edible Gardening 8 12-01-2005 09:17 PM
Slc. Paprika Al Orchids 28 06-04-2004 09:17 PM
Slc. Paprika Al Orchids 0 31-03-2004 07:51 PM
paprika Syracuse Australia 4 05-09-2003 07:23 AM