Old 15-01-2003, 11:43 AM
paul olive

Default digging dog

plesae help, out little pup(4-5 months rescue so not sute exactly) id
digging up flower pots possitionened at roughly ground level in long line,
there are 2 sets of boxes, one next to the house and 1at the end of the
garden, she alwasys attcaks mthe sam epots in the lines, any one had this
problem before.

plesae e-mail, plesae, my mum really loves the plants in the pots near the
house, and the other line of pots is right next to a grave yard for our
families dead pets, so a dog bouncing about digging is very distressing.

Old 15-01-2003, 11:52 AM
paul olive

Thenks, will that stuff hurt the dog , and if so how much. We have been
meaning to cut her paws.

From: "Dwayne"
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 05:50:30 -0700
Subject: digging dog

Put a couple of garlic cloves, a very hot pepper, and some hot sauce in your
blender. blend it all up, add a cup of water, and spray if around the area
that the dog is digging around. That may keep it away from that area, but
it will probably just find another. You might try cutting its claws off
every week or so and see if that downt work.

Good luck. Dwayne

Old 15-01-2003, 12:16 PM
NS9G

"Dwayne" wrote in message
No it wont hurt anything, but I forgot to mention, wear gloves the whole
time you are using the stuff. Also, watch how close you cut her claws, if
you cut too close you could make her bleed and give her a chance for

getting
an infection. It is also supposed to work for rabbits, dear, and racoons.
Dwayne

Let me know the next time you cut the claws on a raccoon. I want to watch.
--
73 de Bob NS9G

Old 15-01-2003, 03:02 PM
Suja

paul olive wrote:

Thenks, will that stuff hurt the dog , and if so how much. We have been
meaning to cut her paws.

I hope you mean that you'll be trimming her nails, and not cutting her
paws.

Paul, generally, some breeds of dogs are more prone to digging than
others - certain terriers and Northern breed dogs come to mind. If it
is a breed thing, it will be hard to cure, so here is what you can do.
Give your dog an area to dig in, encourage her to dig there, and only
there. You could make a sand pit (like the one for kids), bury some
treats in there, and encourage your dog to dig there. She'll likely do
it because there is an added bonus of treats in that area. Redirect her
to the correct area if she attempts to dig elsewhere.

BTW, is it possible that there is some sort of critter hiding in/under
these flower pots. Sometimes they harbor frogs and such, which will
make the pots that much more interesting to the dog.

Suja
Old 15-01-2003, 03:34 PM
M.Paul

Try burying a baloon (or several baloons) in the dig zone. One good pop
should cure the problem.
Also, check out some of the pet or dog related newsgroups.

Old 15-01-2003, 08:01 PM
J Kolenovsky

NS9G wrote:
=

"Dwayne" wrote in message
No it wont hurt anything, but I forgot to mention, wear gloves the wh=

ole
time you are using the stuff. Also, watch how close you cut her claw=

s, if
you cut too close you could make her bleed and give her a chance for

getting
an infection. It is also supposed to work for rabbits, dear, and rac=

oons.
Dwayne

=

Let me know the next time you cut the claws on a raccoon. I want to wat=

ch.

He meant the homemade solution recipe.
=

73 de Bob NS9G

-- =

J Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/reference.html
Old 15-01-2003, 09:45 PM
Simon Avery

paul olive wrote:

Hello paul

po plesae help, out little pup(4-5 months rescue so not sute
po exactly) id digging up flower pots possitionened at roughly
po ground level in long line, there are 2 sets of boxes, one
po next to the house and 1at the end of the garden, she
po alwasys attcaks mthe sam epots in the lines, any one had
po this problem before.

As she's predictable, pepper or similar will dissuade her. Doing it
now should stop her fairly quickly.

Old 15-01-2003, 10:57 PM
Pam Rudd

When last we left our heros, on Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:43:39 +0000,
paul olive scribbled:

plesae help, out little pup(4-5 months rescue so not sute exactly) id
digging up flower pots possitionened at roughly ground level in long line,
there are 2 sets of boxes, one next to the house and 1at the end of the
garden, she alwasys attcaks mthe sam epots in the lines, any one had this
problem before.

Bury the dog's feces where she is digging.

Works like a charm, but it won't stop her from finding a new
place to dig.

Pam, or you could spend time with her so she's not so bored.

"ElissaAnn"

Old 16-01-2003, 12:42 AM
keith nuttle

We had a dog that liked to dig. He help us us leveled the area where he
liked to dig. We bought a enough chicken wire to cover the area where
he like to dig, spiked it in place and covered it with a little dirt.
We added some flowering plants and grass, and placed mulched around the
plants.

The dog did not dig in the yard again. I have often wonder what the new
owners thought when they tried to garden in that area.

From: Raleigh, North Carolina
Old 16-01-2003, 03:01 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

plesae help, out little pup(4-5 months rescue so not sute exactly) id
digging up flower pots possitionened at roughly ground level in long line,
there are 2 sets of boxes, one next to the house and 1at the end of the
garden, she alwasys attcaks mthe sam epots in the lines, any one had this
problem before.

Consult dog-training sites. Nearly all bad habits can be modified with
training.

Our local NPR station carries a "Calling All Pets" program which has
much good advice. See:

http://www.wpr.org/pets/

Old 16-01-2003, 03:03 PM
Frogleg

From: "Dwayne"

Put a couple of garlic cloves, a very hot pepper, and some hot sauce in your
blender. blend it all up, add a cup of water, and spray if around the area
that the dog is digging around. That may keep it away from that area, but
it will probably just find another. You might try cutting its claws off
every week or so and see if that downt work.

Cut her paws? Please return the dog to the SPCA or whatever rescue
operation you got her from.
Old 17-01-2003, 12:11 AM
Suja

Frogleg wrote:

Our local NPR station carries a "Calling All Pets" program which has
much good advice. See:

http://www.wpr.org/pets/

You're quite lucky to have a radio show that features Patricia
McConnell. She really knows her stuff, and has written some terrific books.

Suja

Dog digging garden help Ron Lawns 5 05-05-2003 10:56 PM
Dog digging garden help Ron Lawns 5 23-04-2003 02:08 PM
digging dog Alan Holmes Edible Gardening 0 23-01-2003 10:56 PM
Dog digging garden help Ron Lawns 5 20-10-2002 12:19 AM